Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was sorta figuring that on the grip. I've held the Nex cameras, the V1/J1, and the Panasonics and I never liked how they felt in my hands. Unfortunately, I'm also the type who needs a certain type of material on my keyboard and mouse because I can't stand the cheap plastic on 99% of the keyboard and mice out there....

02-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Ok some quick and dirty shots of the K-01 taken with my Samsung smartphone.

Front

Rear

Startup screen

Very solid feeling, this ain't no toy. Grip is fine. Those who rely on manual focusing will surely love this camera.
Can you try the video mode and report back?? I heard it has full shutter and aperture control. Might as well buy the K-01 just for the video, anything else is extra.
02-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is the K-01 ideal for macro works which involve very fine/accurate focusing? I am thinking of replacing my wife's K-x with the K-01....any thoughts?
02-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I've never used an EVF, but as long as I can manually focus with it, I think I'll learn to love it. I sure won't miss a loud shutter (which has prevented me from bring my camera to many events). As far as compact quality is concerned, there is only one good option. I'm pretty happy I chose Pentax back in 2009.
Except it doesn't have an EVF. You'll be composing on the LCD.

I'm on the fence with the K-01. I think I'll be buying this summer so I'll compare this to the K-r replacement (k-5 sensor supposedly) and the outgoing K-5. Benefits to each. negatives to each.

My concerns are battery life (LCD screen for composing could eat batteries compared to DSLR) and composing on the LCD in bright sunlight (prefer an EVF). I'll also keep track of AF comments.

02-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Why I will upgrade to a K-01 from a K-2000:

The lack of viewfinder has a crucial advantage when you use it amoungst people who don't know the first thing about DSLR's. With this cam, I can see myself handing it off to someone and say "Hey, use this." and they will hold it at arms length, press the AF, and then flip the shudder. No fuss. No mess. I don't have to run a full photography course to train people in how to use it.

VIDEO! VIDEO! VIDEO! If the overheading issues are cured, then I could see myself using this as a camcorder one minute, and as a single-frame camera the next. It will all depend on what I need it for, and I won't have to buy two or three different cameras to use it... and again, the way it's design means I can show it to someone, they can learn in 5 minutes, and start shooting.

16MP!? Is that huge anymore with 20 and 24MP cameras rumored or floating around? Maybe not... but it's good enough. Color depth is nice too.

Lack of Viewfinder: Can't have it all... just can't have it all, not at this PRICE. You can buy a shade probably for your rear screen - that's not unheard of in the point and shoot market.... someone will develop one for the K-01. I confess being a little concerned for it not having one... but I'm willing to live without it.

And when it comes to Astrophotography... I started a thread for that. This little camera should do real nice in that niche.
02-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
"Bah, it doesn't have the EVF. Therefore I will hate it"
The vast majority of people using cameras in this world could not care less about EVFs. They just like to hold the camera at arms length and release the shutter. Is it possible for you and others like you to see that Pentax is targeting a market that may not include you?

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 02-03-2012 at 07:15 PM.