Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why I will upgrade to the K-01 (Not that you care)

I'm no pro, but I do love to take photos. Last time I went on a vacation (too long ago), I opted to take my program plus and the K55 along with me. A totally no-frills set up. And I had a blast. It was much lighter than my K20d, and the photos I got out of the adventure were just as satisfying as my digital. Ever since then, I've looked at my K20d differently. It has been coming out with me less. Not because I don't like taking photos, but because it's just too big and unwieldy. Now, when I go out, it's like I'm going to take photos. It's not something that is always with me, like it should be. I started shooting more with my humble program plus.

But in the end I realized something: film is expensive! I don't know how to develop my own photos, and I'm not good enough to fire off 3 rolls of keepers. Digital brings real value to me in the free exposure department, and flexibility in post-processing.

I really don't have any use for zooms, because I'm pretty simple with my photography. Between my FA 50 and my DA 15, I'm pretty much set. The DA 15 lets me crop if I need to and the 50, while a little tight, is so damn flexible the only lens I could ever see myself replacing it with is the FA 43 (if I fall into a pile of money). I think most of my other lenses will go (except for the kit, which is my insurance lens).

What I want as a consumer is a small package that still lets me feel like I'm engaging in "real" photography (although I know photographers who can take "real" pictures with their iphone). I'm choosing my lens, my aperture, shutter speed, iso, I'm applying flash where I see fit. I'm calling the shots and can get creative. But I also want something I can throw in a bag that isn't going to take up half of the space in it, nor weigh me down. I suppose DSLRs won't ever get to the point of an old film camera as far as compactness and lightness are concerned, but this is a real step in the right direction.

I've never used an EVF, but as long as I can manually focus with it, I think I'll learn to love it. I sure won't miss a loud shutter (which has prevented me from bring my camera to many events). As far as compact quality is concerned, there is only one good option. I'm pretty happy I chose Pentax back in 2009.

02-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Forum Member

I don't quite get all the gnashing of teeth that's going on around here, and I am glad you find the K-01 enticing. I, for one, am really excited about it and its successors and am strongly considering getting myself one sometime later this year (probably near Christmas). I have three small kids and really would like to have the (assumed) impressive video capabilities. Plus, since I'd be upgrading from my trusty K10D, the still performance would be lightyears better than what I've got now (and I'm very pleased with the output from the K10D).

I guess I'm also in the minority that thinks the camera is quite attractive -- beautiful, even. I"m no a big fan of the look of the new 40mm lens, but I'm smitten with the body.

Unless the K-5 drops quite a bit in price or its or the K-r's successor is quite cheap, I think I might be buying a K-01.
02-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you've decided it's for you. I sincerely hope it is everything you desire and more in a camera.

Just a BTW, the K-5 shutter is SO much quieter than the K-r/x its amazing.
02-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jason 407 Quote
I don't quite get all the gnashing of teeth that's going on around here, and I am glad you find the K-01 enticing. I, for one, am really excited about it and its successors and am strongly considering getting myself one sometime later this year (probably near Christmas). I have three small kids and really would like to have the (assumed) impressive video capabilities. Plus, since I'd be upgrading from my trusty K10D, the still performance would be lightyears better than what I've got now (and I'm very pleased with the output from the K10D).

I guess I'm also in the minority that thinks the camera is quite attractive -- beautiful, even. I"m no a big fan of the look of the new 40mm lens, but I'm smitten with the body.

Unless the K-5 drops quite a bit in price or its or the K-r's successor is quite cheap, I think I might be buying a K-01.
"Bah, it's not the k-5 replacement. Therefore I will hate it." "Bah, it's not the FF. Therefore I will hate it." "Bah, it's note dslr. Therefore I will hate it." "Bah, it reminds me of my ex-girlfriend. Therefore I will hate it."

02-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
"Bah, it's not the k-5 replacement. Therefore I will hate it." "Bah, it's not the FF. Therefore I will hate it." "Bah, it's note dslr. Therefore I will hate it." "Bah, it reminds me of my ex-girlfriend. Therefore I will hate it."
"Bah, it doesn't have the EVF. Therefore I will hate it"
02-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #6

I'm thinking of getting one for the same reasons as you. I've relegated photography to a hobby, and know I'd never really want to pursue a career in it. I want something I can carry along wherever I go and not worry about it. I'm not a big zoom lover either, and would probably just use a 15mm, the 40mm kit, and my 70mm. (Though I really wish Pentax would come out with a new compact telephoto limited, possibly 100mm or 135mm.

The only thing I'm worried about is the K-01 not being small enough. It looks pretty bulky in the video, it's a bit shorter, but I'd need to hold one in my hands before making a decision.
02-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

You know, we are all different shooters and we all have differences in what we think is handsome and what isn't. I'll be interested in seeing what initial users have to report here, the ones that think this is what they need. It may be just right for them.
One thing I do know, they won't be shooting in daylight hours where I live if they like to compose their shots....just won't be happening. Even in January I have been totally unable to use the LCD for composition outside on most days. If I only had a LCD I would have to move to a very different climate or give up photography outside altogether.

Regards!

02-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Jason 407 Quote
I'm also in the minority that thinks the camera is quite attractive
Ya me too.

I haven't run into a situation where I didn't bring my K-5 with me because it was too big.

On the other hand, I've been eying an Olympus PEN lately, just to see if MILC is for me (I really like in body stabilization). I'm leaning towards the K-01 now if I decide to get a MILC.
02-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The K-01 isn't much smaller than the K-5. It is,however, $300 cheaper and will have comparable performance in many areas. It's a fine addition to the market.
02-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like what I've read about the K-01. My K20 is too big and heavy for some of the activities I do. I'll get a K-01 and put my F 35-70mm as a walk around system.
02-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like others here, I am looking forward to seeing what this camera can do.

And to the OP, thanks for starting a positive thread (and others for keeping it the same.) I don't mind debating/discussing to a point, but it would be nice to have one thread for people who are excited for it. Some the negativity is pretty depressing (at least to me.)

Thanks!
02-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a camera that has certainly peaked my interested. I happen to think the K-5 is already quite small (it's actually only a smidge bigger than my M8). The K-01 paired with DA primes and the new primes is going to be even smaller, but with exceptional image quality (like the K-5). It's looks are growing on me.

And it's a BIG DEAL that Pentax finally put manual controls in for video. If the image stabilization is as good as it is on the K-5 and K-r, it will be a wonderful hand-holdable video machine. I think the K-5, K-r and K-x were often dismissed in the video department for their lack of manual controls, so not much was talked about with them... but the IBIS is a DREAM in these cameras for video... My husband, a big GH1 user, often comments that the video I get with the K-5 looks like it's on a tripod or a professional stabilizer because it's so smooth. If the K-01 delivers the same, it's going to be awesome for video.
02-03-2012, 12:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm pre-ordering one! And I'm gonna hold the K-01 in my hands tomorrow at our monthly Pentax user outing... yeah!
02-03-2012, 05:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I'm pre-ordering one! And I'm gonna hold the K-01 in my hands tomorrow at our monthly Pentax user outing... yeah!

Tomorrow? Is the release date different for Singapore?
02-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I've held it in my hands!

Ok some quick and dirty shots of the K-01 taken with my Samsung smartphone.

Front

Rear

Startup screen

Very solid feeling, this ain't no toy. Grip is fine. Those who rely on manual focusing will surely love this camera.
Pentax definitely pwned m4/3 in the area of image quality. DSLR purists look elsewhere.

Last edited by creampuff; 02-03-2012 at 08:55 AM.