Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #241

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
What is real manual focus? Or let me rephrase: what kind of manual focus is not real?
The new Fuji's lenses are 'focus by wire'. No direct contact between focus ring and internal elements. That kind.

02-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #242

It's not the kind of comparison you are thinking about. The K-01 is compared to the XPro1 and OM-D as being a disappointing announcement. When talk switches to capabilities, XPro1 can only be compared to the K-5. It's not that the K-01 is not a capable camera - but it is prevented by design to compete against the others.
So, you're moving the goalposts?
02-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #243

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
The other day I was shopping for a MF 300/4 and all M and A 300/4 were running for a solid 200$ more than Nikon's AF 300/4 goes on good days
A real free marketeer would say there's a good reason for that.
02-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #244
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
And what's the point of comparing the K-5???
FYI: I answered this apparently puzzling dilemma a couple of posts earlier - here.

02-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #245
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
The new Fuji's lenses are 'focus by wire'. No direct contact between focus ring and internal elements. That kind.
I see. But what is unreal about them? I actually used the Olympus kit lens, which has such mechanism, and it is quite precise. You might not like the different feeling, but it beats regular AF rings with short throw. I can even set the direction I want to rotate it to focus to infinity. I expect that at some point they'll figure out it's useful to also let you set the actual throw of the ring, so you can customize it for speed or precision.

QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
So, you're moving the goalposts?
No. I'm just telling you where they are.
02-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #246
Veteran Member

I can't believe the crazy logic involved in most of this discussion. Pentax is, in the K-01, transitioning to newer technology and products one step at a time - this is the first step. The K-01 was designed under Hoya and will distort any view of the future for the brand for at least another year it seems - this appears to have been overlooked by most people. As a first step into a new future, and one which doesn't destroy their entire previous business line, I think it's OK. I hope they announce the K-5 replacement (probably another Hoya sanctioned design) at the next show just to shut up the 'marketing experts' that seem to inhabit these forums because they're f******g driving me nuts.

Last edited by bossa; 02-05-2012 at 12:19 AM.
02-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #247
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Now you're really talking like an opinionated idiot calling people a fanboy. Isn't the title of this thread that you started comparing the K-01 versus the Fuji X-Pro 1? And what's the point of comparing the K-5??? If you feel Pentax has designed a flop, maybe it's better for you to continue to use your other camera brands rather than suffer angst surrounding the trials and tribulations of Pentax. It's pretty amazing that so many detractors come out of the woodwork when they can't fathom what the K-01 is all about.
An opinionated idiot, eh?

I see.

An opinionated idiot. An opinionated idiot. An opinionated idiot.

And, we are talking about . . . cameras.

02-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I can't believe the crazy logic involved in most of this discussion. Pentax is, in the K-01, transitioning to newer technology and products one step at a time - this is the first step. The K-01 was designed under Hoya and will distort any view of the future for the brand for at least another year it seems - this appears to have been overlooked by most people. As a first step into a new future, and one which doesn't destroy their entire previous business line, I think it's OK. I hope they announce the K-5 replacement (probably another Hoya sanctioned design) at the next show just to shut the "marketing experts' that seem to inhabit these forums because they're f******g driving me nuts.
You don't have to read it, you know?
02-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #249
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope they announce the K-5 replacement (probably another Hoya sanctioned design) at the next show just to shut the "marketing experts' that seem to inhabit these forums because they're f******g driving me nuts.
LOL, as a marketing expert, I'm with you!
02-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #250

No. I'm just telling you where they are.
I've tried to compose a reply to this, but it's so weak I just don't know where to start.

On paper (all we have right now), and factoring price, the Fuji loses. Sorry, you can try and change the subject, but it doesn't change the facts.
Goodnight...
02-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #251
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
You don't have to read it, you know?
Yes I do..
02-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes I do..
HaHa. So do I. Better than any TV, that's for sure.
02-05-2012, 03:11 AM   #253
Banned

Pentax is, in the K-01, transitioning to newer technology and products one step at a time - this is the first step.
Psst! I don't think you want to repeat this too loud - some people may take offense. It's the genius hypothesis that I advanced earlier.
02-05-2012, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #254
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Psst! I don't think you want to repeat this too loud - some people may take offense. It's the genius hypothesis that I advanced earlier.
Your hypothesis was silly. The simple fact is that you don't like the K-01. We get it. But that doesn't mean that the K-01 isn't going to bring in a group of photographers (younger than yourself and about half the people posting on the forum right now), who wouldn't give your precious Fuji or the Pentax K5, for that matter, a sideways glance.

Going back to the beginning, you buy into a system for the lenses. If the system doesn't have the lenses that you need, you don't buy! The Fuji doesn't and won't have lenses that I need. Pentax already does.

Camera bodies come and go. Pentax has released many bodies that I didn't buy over the years, but they often hit someone else's sweet spot. The people who drive me nuts are those who claim to be the experts and to know exactly what will happen to new products on the market. The reality is that nobody knows that prior to release. Still, I think the K-01 will have good sales as long as Ricoh decides to support it with good marketing and product placement.
02-05-2012, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #255

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'll bet you the cost of that coffee that you're sipping in that old european city that if you placed the Fuji and K-01 on a table, the Fuji would be surrounded by mostly older white-haired gentlemen and the K-01 mostly by a younger, more diverse crowd.
Urm hello? I'm 16. The Pentax K-01 is atrocious. I told one of my friends about it, he looked at it and laughed. I don't know how young you mean. Maybe a toddler would pick up the K-01 instead, but everyone thinks the Fuji looks amazing. You Pentaxians just can't admit its a design fail. I mean its suppose to be made of aluminium yet its yellow? How classy.

Think realistically. In a shop the average user is not going to assume the Pentax is the camera to get, if the Olympus and Fuji were next to it I bet the sales of them would be somewhat 45% each to the Olympus and Fuji and 10% to the Pentax. They are all 16 Megapixel, average person assumes more is better, they are not going to go pixel peeping. If they pictures look good to them they're happy. Not even noise performance matters much..

Design wise, it just sucks really. We all know it has the K-5 Sensor so it will perform great, but that's really not enough if they want large sales. I don't see the problem in doing what Sony did and making a different mount and making an adapter for the current line up. I really don't think the K-01 will be a big seller outside of the Pentax community.

I mean I don't hear a lot of people are pre ordering the K-01. I'm hearing a heck of a lot about people pre ordering the Fuji. At the moment the Fuji is top of Amazons best sellers with the Pentax being 24th.

Wouldn't be surprised if Marc Newson's phone started getting cobwebs after this.