Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #361
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Which is the most irrelevant question they could ask. the thing that counts is the portfolio not the camera (as long as it can provide a file suitable to the use - if it's a billboard you may need a better camera than a K5 (or for that matter a D4. It really is more suitable to Medium format for best image - which anyone who doesn't own one can always rent for the odd job as well)
If they are asking the question they probably want to hear canon or nikon. which is silly of course since a d3100 is a Nikon and a rebel is a Canon.

the best answer is The one suited to the needed output and I have several different cameras at my disposal.
You are correct of couse, and this is something any knowedgable photographer knows. We are talking business here though..... the customer is always right lol.
I honnestly dont think they need to hear can or Nik though. Its my guess usualy its sumone asking who knows cameras or watever. I have a D3s D300 but also Fuji Pro 5 and the K5. I thought about the new D4 but its just over kill for what I need. Even the D300 produces big enough files for my overseas clients, and even the 6milion pixel Pro 5 pruduces more than enough quality for weddings and prints. You dont need a sledge hammer to knock in a tac lol.

02-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #362
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Just as well you aren't Terry Richardson, I guess.
LOl

there are of course other reason's not to want to be Terry

His style works with the T4/5 but he has been know to use SLRs and Contax G2's as well

02-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #363
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Is it your dream?

really? 16 MP at crop 2? for 1100 EURO? Looks like some kind of wardrobe or bookcase
First yes I think its a beautiful camera , I never shoot with a grip and I will not get the grip.
and without the grip the size of the camera and the design is what I want .
and what many pentax fans asked pentax to do for many years now!
How come Olympus fans are getting OM-D and we can not get K1000-D ? the only reason at this point I can think of now sadly is BC we asked for that and Pentax does not listen .

I agree with you on the sensor size not a huge 4/3 fan, and on the LTD lenses that still has no match in any brand , sure! Pentax is glass, there is no match

I like the design of the k-01 ( thou I like the silver one the most as well as the vast majority of people that choose to show the silver one in pictures and on youtube yet the silver one is not for sale ? )

no VF could be a killer for me , at the end if battery time, focus speed , and the useability of the screen in sunny conditions works well I will upgrade to K-01 BC I do like the design!! I do find it attractive and perfect for street photography as people will hold a second just looking at the camera but its small and friendly enough not to scare them off , and I do have interests to keep my legacy lenses.

in the street people react better to compact cameras but the best results I get form people is always when shooting on the K-1000 . people love this camera. and never mind being photographed by it , most people will even stop to tel me how it was their first camera

Last edited by redpigeons; 02-06-2012 at 08:14 AM.
02-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #364
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
LOl

there are of course other reason's not to want to be Terry

His style works with the T4/5 but he has been know to use SLRs and Contax G2's as well
LOL I remember back in the seventies some photographer putting on a big exhibit !
All pics taken on cell phone !

02-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #365
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote

no VF could be a killer for me , at the end if battery time, focus speed , and the useability of the screen in sunny conditions works well I will upgrade to K-01 BC I do like the design!! I do find it attractive and perfect for street photography as people will hold a second just looking at the camera but its small and friendly enough not to scare them off , and I do have interests to keep my legacy lenses.
Sense K-01 as P&S camera with K-mount and you understand the idea of K-01. I have K-5 with VF. K-01 with FA*24/2 will be good for me as travel camera. No need VF at all.
02-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #366
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I actually considered posting a pic of the 600d (T3i?) but instead chose the 7D because of price. Someone heavily invested in Canon might look at the cost of entry of getting a smaller second system (not just the body) and relate it back to their Canon world.
That is some pretty strange reasoning IMO.

So instead of considering a 600D (which arguably is the closest in spec) and that he'd be saving a pile of money, he should compare it to the large, heavy and expensive 7D instead since it costs as much as the K01 plus lenses, even though the reason for purchasing the camera in the first place was to get something fairly compact.
02-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #367
Pentaxian

How come Olympus fans are getting OM-D and we can not get K1000-D ? the only reason at this point I can think of now sadly is BC we asked for that and Pentax does not listen .
Or maybe Pentax DOES listen, but don't happen to be siding with the folks who want a retro camera. Someone quoted Amazon as an indicator of what the public wants. Yes, the Fuji is in the #1 spot, but if you look at all the other most popular cameras, contemporary designs rule by an insane number.
02-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #368
Veteran Member

I agree with you on the sensor size not a huge 4/3 fan, and on the LTD lenses that still has no match in any brand , sure! Pentax is glass, there is no match
The Limiteds are generally really nice, but I think Zeiss and Leica might have something to say about your statement.

02-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #369
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
But now I'm off to buy more PEN cameras and lenses. I'll be back to Pentax when they get a freakin' clue.
Certainly no bias there.
02-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #370
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
The Limiteds are generally really nice, but I think Zeiss and Leica might have something to say about your statement.
for price so still no match .
about the so called "retro" look , its not about Retro , it about hating the bulky Canon Nikon DSLRs copycats .
I choose Pentax for glass and small cameras and BC my first camera was K-1000 .

and P&S and a Pentax lenses is exactly a good description and why maybe its not the camera for me sadly
02-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #371
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

I look at it this way - it's the best APS-C sensor in the market in a body smaller than any dSLR. It's also compatible with small, highly-regarded primes. If you are comfortable shooting without a VF and want class-leading IQ, it's a compelling option.
We will have to see how the IQ compares. Just because it has the same sensor does not mean it has the same IQ as the K-5. Multiple cameras use that sensor and IQ is varied.

What does "PRIME M" mean? is it better than PRIME II? CDAF and HD video are image processor intensive, so my guess is that then new image processor is optimized for those functions. Is the new PRIME MI 12-bit or 14-bit? I have not seen this information in the specs. Pentax seems to be holding back on some of the specifications, which is not a good sign. PRIME M probably stands for Mirror-less and is optimized of those functions.
02-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #372
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
That is some pretty strange reasoning IMO.

So instead of considering a 600D (which arguably is the closest in spec) and that he'd be saving a pile of money, he should compare it to the large, heavy and expensive 7D instead since it costs as much as the K01 plus lenses, even though the reason for purchasing the camera in the first place was to get something fairly compact.

Maybe it's me but one of the things I do before making a purchase is ask myself, "what else could I buy with this money?" it's just a gut check

And as I suggested earlier, my friends with big FF cameras also have big fast FF glass and would likely need to buy primes for a smaller dSLR if their goal is a smaller system. Ultimately, one guy bought a Panasonic GX1 andthe other is likely to buy a Fuji X 1 Pro, so saving money is not the only factor in their decision
02-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #373
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
If you're on an upgrade cycle...what do you consider an upgrade? It can't be better lens selection...or the option to go FF because you're giving up those things by going with the Fuji, aren't you?
Actually, for what I want in a MILC, the Fuji's lens selection, combined with the ability to adapt my K mount glass, means it's fine for me. I'll get the 35 and the 18, and run my manual 50mm Ricoh pancake as a short portrait lens, and my A series 135/2.8 as a concert lens. It would replace my small body (a K-x) with a better sensor, and more direct controls. In another 12-18 months I'll look at replacing my big body, either with the K-5's successor, or potentially moving brands, which I gave serious consideration to this time around. But, by making me more mount/brand agnostic, my MILC purchase will delay that decision, while making any such move easier and cheaper.

And Pentax FF ain't happening in the near term. I wish it were, but it's not. Any hints in that regard are just a delaying tactic to keep K-mount users at home IMHO.

You're right that emerging photographers are probably not invested in K-mount, but I would hope that they would be comforted by the fact that the K-01 that they are thinking of buying can be used with dozens of current lens models and millions of used lenses. Think of the alternative, being told that the camera they just bought is fully compatible with just 3 or 4 lenses but partially compatible with millions of others. For the emerging photog, the former is a stronger selling point than the latter.
Does the fact that there are millions of lenses on eBay matter more/less than the fact that I can get M43 and Nikon 1 lenses at Target? If i'm just starting out as a photographer, unless I'm extremely price sensitive, I'm not buying used if at all possible. Therefore millions of lenses that I can't fondle locally don't exist as far as I'm concerned. Pentax doesn't have that kind of game on the ground, which means that logic is a bit of wishful thinking IMHO. And that assumes that you're going to buy anything beyond the kit zooms, which I think is also a doubtful proposition; for the P&S upgrader, not an emerging photographer, a big sensor and a high ratio zoom are likely all they require.

I can understand concluding that a camera is not compatible with your needs as a photographer, but insulting is a bit of a strong word don't you think? Do you get insulted when Pentax introduces an entry-level Optio? Will you be insulted when Fuji introduces their next $200 47 megapixel point-and-shoot? Will that tarnish your affection for the X Pro 1? Fact is, Pentax never said that their next camera was going to be perfect for you. They never made that promise. Don't be insulted. Either be patient to see what the K-5 and K-r replacements bring, or move on.
But insulting is the word I'm gonna stick with. I do get insulted whenever a company I do business with releases a crap product and tries to tell me how great it is and expects me, or any of their other potential customers, to be stupid enough to believe it. Not being in the target group is one thing (although the designer that they paid and who's involvement was announced before any photographic aspect of the camera, who's not a photographer to my knowledge, seems to think he's designed a tool for semi-professionals), my problem and contention is the target consumer group doesn't exist. I can't imagine being a vaguely informed consumer, not super interested in "serious" photography (which even by the internal logic of this thread moves me outside the target box), and having a saleman trying to convince me to buy this over a GF3 or a NEX3 with a straight face. There simply are no vast untapped crowds of P&S upgraders looking for a much larger P&S on the basis of compatibility with 30 year old lenses and a cool design; a few sure, but a few people loved the Edsel. Certainly not enough to put those of us who've already put money in at the back of the line in the design considerations for Pentax's first serious MILC, to wait so long to do it, or to try and convince us that this is good enough.

So it is in all likelihood, 'moving on'.
02-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #374
ogl
Pentaxian

Amazon.co.jp? OLYMPUS ????????????? OM-D E-M5 ?????? ???? 1605??? 144??????????????? 5???????? ?? ?? OM-D E-M5 LKIT SLV: ??????
111 258 YEN = 1450 USD...

So long name - OM-D E-M5

16MP
5 axis image stabilization
ISO range: 200-25,600
4 fps
Shutter speed: 60-1/4000 seconds
1.44M EVF
3 in, OLED touch screen with 610k dots resolution
No built-in flash
Full HD video recording
29 minutes maximum video recording time
Dimensions: 122mm x 89mm x 43mm
Weight: 369 grams (body only)

rather expensive....IMO I don't see anything special...
02-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #375
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
But now I'm off to buy more PEN cameras and lenses.
Robin, is my memory letting me down or weren't you at some time not so pleased with the PEN and considered selling it?