Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Why is the Fuji out selling?
Umm, maybe it's because the K-01 was only officially announced yesterday?

02-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Everybody hold your horses until the Pentax K-01 hits the stores and available for sale... then the picture will be clearer whether Fuji is indeed the more desirable product. I still stand by my assertion that the average Pentax crowd aren't prepared to spend the kind of money the Fuji X-Pro 1 is going for and will gravitate towards the better bang for the money K-01. Anyway I'll be holding the new K-01 in the flesh tomorrow morning...
Sweet! I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think of it. I actually like the looks of it just fine but I care most about image quality & performance (both of which are yet to be seen.)
02-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery
Everybody hold your horses until the Pentax K-01 hits the stores and available for sale... then the picture will be clearer whether Fuji is indeed the more desirable product. I still stand by my assertion that the average Pentax crowd aren't prepared to spend the kind of money the Fuji X-Pro 1 is going for and will gravitate towards the better bang for the money K-01. Anyway I'll be holding the new K-01 in the flesh tomorrow morning...
If you do not mind, please ask them whether or not there will be an external EVF for this camera.
02-02-2012, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

No anger. I just want to point out that legacy lens support is irrelevant. Fuji has NONE and it is going to out sell the Pentax at 2x the price. Both M4/3 and X-mount will out sell K-mount this year.

Pentax forced one of the best lens designers in the business into retirement last year, but the guy who gave us the Q probably still has a job..... Fuji is going after Leica and Pentax is trying to take on Fisher-Price.
This guy has a clue.

Pentax could be succesful if they kept aiming at better (like they did with K-x, K-5), but lately it seems they are aiming at weird (Q, K-01). Not only they are catering for their existing consumer base with K-mount compatiblity, but they are even failing to market the new products to it's existing consumers. They are carving a niche inside their own niche. WTF?

02-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K1D27H Quote
Nah, I am just here to comment, I am not looking for a debate.

Also, had a talk with other people from different forums, a lot of them seem to have reservation for X Pro 1 regarding the price. Many agree that the price is too high especially the body alone and it will be one of the major factors that turn people away.

EM-5? I have no information regarding it at this moment, so I have no idea what I should comment about it.

K-01? Video people might like it. For me, I am an OVF person. If I want K-01 it will need some kind of VF, even if it means EVF. LCD is not going to cut it.
Not looking for a debate either, but as I'm not very knowledgeable of rangefinders and how they compare to the K-01, I needed to ask, to know more.

Looking at it, it seems putting up the K-01 against the X-Pro1 is somewhat off, since each camera is targeted to different customer types I believe. The K-01 is seemingly not released for us SLR/rangefinder users, but the X-Pro1 is an alternative, which is probably why the Fuji (and possibly the OM-D) is more attractive.

...and also which is probably why there's a lot of bashing for the K-01... I agree on the video part. Finally some 720p 60fps

But when it comes to looks, it could've looked better. But that's just me lol
02-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Here what I post in another tread

Interesting info

Less than a day after launch

Search word : Pentax K-01

Over 21,000,000 results

Search word : Fuji x Pro and Fuji x pro 1

18,251,000 after almost 4 weeks

Search word Olympus Om-D

Search word Panasonic GH
about 6,000,000

I call this a succesfull launch

Oh yes
Pentax K-5 or k5
24,000,000 results. This mean the K-01 is almost as the same level of notoriety than the K-5

PS I have not compare qith Nikon or Canon as their number are close to the 100 millions
02-02-2012, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Here what I post in another tread

Interesting info

Less than a day after launch

Search word : Pentax K-01

Over 21,000,000 results

I'm afraid all the talk is mainly about how it looks, though.

02-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is my whole point!!!!!!

PENTAX needs to put a product on the market that WILL attract the kinds of buyers that buy the Fuji XP1. Pentax needs to appeal to a larger base if it wants to be successful. Pentax needs to grow.

Fuji X-mount had no real user base. They created a new one. Fuji expanded and in doing so is taking customers away from Leica, Pentax, M4/3, Canon, Nikon, & Sony. Who is Pentax taking customers from. Keeping the natives happy does not grow the user base. It does not attract new users. New users don't give a rats butt about K-mount.

If Fuji executives had the same mentality that you express in "I still stand by my assertion that the average Fuji crowd aren't prepared to spend the kind of money the Fuji X-Pro 1" then Fuji would not be very successful right now. Fuji would not have introduced a camera that received more attention than the Nikon D4 at CES. That is not the attitude of an innovative company.

Who is Pentax going to steal customers away from?
02-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Not important , the more they talk the more that better

Anyway , I like the design and look
02-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Who is Pentax going to steal customers away from?
Canikon P&S shooters and people who wish to step up from phonecams, I believe.

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
PR-wise, yes. Hoping for Ricoh-Pentax launch events to pop-up everywhere!
02-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Umm, maybe it's because the K-01 was only officially announced yesterday?
Yes, and in my original post I said let's look at this in 6 months. I think the results will be the same.
02-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Im not aware of the Fuji specs, but does it do video?
02-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Not looking for a debate either, but as I'm not very knowledgeable of rangefinders and how they compare to the K-01, I needed to ask, to know more.

Looking at it, it seems putting up the K-01 against the X-Pro1 is somewhat off, since each camera is targeted to different customer types I believe. The K-01 is seemingly not released for us SLR/rangefinder users, but the X-Pro1 is an alternative, which is probably why the Fuji (and possibly the OM-D) is more attractive.

...and also which is probably why there's a lot of bashing for the K-01... I agree on the video part. Finally some 720p 60fps

But when it comes to looks, it could've looked better. But that's just me lol
Many of the rangefinder purists do not consider X100, X10, or X Pro 1 to be rangefinder, however. They consider a camera as a rangefinder when it has the focusing mechanism of the rangefinder (two split windows coming together, similar to a split screen on SLR). Fuji X-series does not have this. EM-5 is not going to have this mechanism, as well. And from the spec I read from the rumor, EM-5 lowest ISO is 200 which is odd, but it is also geared towards video as the rumor said its video capability is better than Panasonic GH2. Olympus even make it a weather sealed body which is something I expect Pentax to do with K-01.

Considering the price point, Olympus OM-D EM-5 may be a major competitor of K-01.
02-02-2012, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

I sincerely think if Pentax wanted something to compete against the X-Pro1 they would've made one, not the K-01. Who knows? Maybe they're just not telling us, or letting leaks out. Come CP+ and Photokina and they might drop a nice surprise no-one ever expected because of all this talk about the "ugly" K-01.

I would rather think that the K-01 was the answer to the positioning of the Nikon V1 or the P-series, and to Canon's G-series (though they are not ILCs). With all due respect (and in every way just curious) what made you think the K-01 was Pentax's answer to the Fuji X-Pro?

QuoteOriginally posted by K1D27H Quote
And from the spec I read from the rumor, EM-5 lowest ISO is 200 which is odd, but it is also geared towards video as the rumor said its video capability is better than Panasonic GH2. Olympus even make it a weather sealed body which is something I expect Pentax to do with K-01. Considering the price point, Olympus OM-D EM-5 may be a major competitor of K-01.
Hmm, thanks for that info on the Oly! Will look more up on that camera.
02-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Im not aware of the Fuji specs, but does it do video?
It does, but from the way I see it, it is not much of the step up from X100, which is acceptable but nothing to write home about.