Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #436
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
Thom Hogan had an interesting take on the philosophy of targeting the entry level versus niche marketing that seems applicable:
Yes, I find puzzling the approach of camera companies. Sometimes it feels like they work hard to be clueless to what the market is looking for.

02-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #437
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
LOL I remember back in the seventies some photographer putting on a big exhibit !
All pics taken on cell phone !
Cell phones in the 70's had cameras? Pull the other one.
02-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #438
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
The problem is that it has managed to be unusually different instead of just being different.
XS lenses says another...
02-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #439
Veteran Member

The problem is that it has managed to be unusually different instead of just being different.
That's not a problem. It may turn out that but I doubt it. Until the actual sales figures get released you aren't in a position to judge if the K-01 has been a success or not.

02-08-2012, 10:46 PM - 1 Like   #440
Veteran Member

At the end of the day the K-01 will capture images with appreciably better IQ than the Olympus and neck and neck with the Fuji. And cost less than both. Does anything else really matter?
02-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #441
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
That's not a problem. It may turn out that but I doubt it. Until the actual sales figures get released you aren't in a position to judge if the K-01 has been a success or not.
If it is a success, it will certainly qualify as an unusual success too!

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
At the end of the day the K-01 will capture images with appreciably better IQ than the Olympus and neck and neck with the Fuji. And cost less than both. Does anything else really matter?
Sales matter more than anything, if I may interject a dose of reality. It does not matter how good the K-01 sensor really is, if it gets outsold by less expensive models that are using less performant sensors or by more expensive models with similar sensor performance.

That being said, I would like to join you guys in wishing from the bottom of my heart that the K-01 brings more and more adopters of the K-mount, thus increasing the value of my lens collection. To the health of the Pentax ecosystem!

PS: In particular, please also keep alive the rumors about the superiority of the MIJ versions - I may need to leverage that aspect in future transactions
02-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #442
ogl
Banned

I have no any doubts that K-01 (Kaizer-One) will have good sales...

02-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #443
Veteran Member

Sales matter more than anything, if I may interject a dose of reality. It does not matter how good the K-01 sensor really is, if it gets outsold by less expensive models that are using less performant sensors or by more expensive models with similar sensor performance.
I wasn't saying anything about sales, just the reality of my desire to take pictures and the reality of my bank account. Nothing more.

But if you want to talk about sales potential, I'd like to refer you to Exhibit A - the K-x. Initially dismissed as a toy (red?!) and criticized lacking a key feature (no AF point?!), it slowly won the admiration of many Pentaxicans and non-Pentaxicans alike for IQ and ISO performance much higher than its weight class, which led to sales and a certified hit for Pentax. I would not be surprised if the K-01 followed a similar trajectory, a toy (yellow!?) missing a key feature (no EVF?!)
02-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #444
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
But if you want to talk about sales potential, I'd like to refer you to Exhibit A - the K-x. Initially dismissed as a toy (red?!) and criticized lacking a key feature (no AF point?!), it slowly won the admiration of many Pentaxicans and non-Pentaxicans alike for IQ and ISO performance much higher than its weight class, which led to sales and a certified hit for Pentax. I would not be surprised if the K-01 followed a similar trajectory, a toy (yellow!?) missing a key feature (no EVF?!)
Yes, the K-x is a good comparison. Do you know if it sold as much as the X100? That was a certified hit for Fuji too - and it couldn't use a single legacy lens! I know several Canon users that got one. I don't know a single one that got a K-x - or any Pentax camera at all. I'll let you know as soon as I find one. You'll laugh, but the only Pentax product that I've seen recommended by a non Pentax user was ... <drum roll> ... the Q! You know, the camera with the worst IQ on the MILC market - the mistake that Pentax should never have made. I think the 645D got mentioned once too.

I always recommended the K10D or the K20D or the K-7 over the K-x, btw. All having less performant sensors, I know. If anything, the K-x has proved to me that a sensor alone cannot redeem a camera package. I actually think that the K-01 is probably a better offer than the K-x/K-r, as it at least offers a much better build (aluminum, right?) and gets rid of the clunky implementation of LiveView that required the mirror to go down and up before each shot.
02-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #445
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I have no any doubts that K-01 (Kaizer-One) will have good sales...
I thought it was standing for Knock-Out One. The ambiguity is what is being discussed here.
02-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #446
Veteran Member

Fuji X-Pro 1 and Olympus OM-D EM-5 are designed for enthusiast photographers. Pentax K01 is just for fashion fans with the signature of a man named Marc ... Pentax users as a secondary target.
Olympus is also at a good price.
Pentax I hope you learn how to be the next K-mount mirrorless.
02-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #447
ogl
Banned

I thought it was standing for Knock-Out One. The ambiguity is what is being discussed here.
Welcome
02-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #448
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Fuji X-Pro 1 and Olympus OM-D EM-5 are designed for enthusiast photographers. Pentax K01 is just for fashion fans with the signature of a man named Marc ... Pentax users as a secondary target.
Olympus is also at a good price.
Pentax I hope you learn how to be the next K-mount mirrorless.
I'm not fashion fan at all. And I'm not young.

Pentax will offer XS lenses. Bigger mirrorless is better for hands.

The size is the question of discussing.
02-09-2012, 01:27 AM   #449
Veteran Member

Pardon me if I pass on your knee-slapping humour.
02-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #450
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Pentax will offer XS lenses. Bigger mirrorless is better for hands.
Comparing prime lenses with zooms will always help to prove ... something or another.