Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #511
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
I only shoot with wide lenses more specifically with my FA 20 mm on K-7 makes it 35 mm . I am sorry you will hear a lot about it from me as this new Olympus broke my heart . I really wanted a K1000-D really really did

but as Narc newson said Pentax K-01.flv - YouTube

it not good to listen to the consumers (unless you are olympus) , oh well ...
Then the OM-D (silver & black) would look really good with the silver 12mm f/2.

12mm f/2 (Olympus)
25mm f/1.4 (Panasonic)
45mm f/1.8 (Olympus)

Would make one nice setup for a walk around street camera. Even the 17mm pancake is not half bad.

I have been telling myself that the technology for mirror-less is not good enough yet, but I think this will be the year I pick up a mirror-less. I just can't decide if it will be Olympus of Fuji. It has taken Olympus & Panasonic 4 years to get M4/3 to this point. Fuji seems to be moving a lot faster.

02-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #512
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
Actually one of the features the Fuji has that I don't like is auto-gain when the hybrid VF is in EVF mode and the camera is in manual; on the NEX cameras you can turn this off and the gain moves with the exposure settings allowing you to expose via the EVF/overlaid histogram which is preferable I think.
That is interesting - so the Fuji always shows you a bright picture even if you try to underexpose - it doesn't reflect the effect of the exposure? And it doesn't allow you to change that? Are all Fuji models like this?
02-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #513
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Then the OM-D (silver & black) would look really good with the silver 12mm f/2.

12mm f/2 (Olympus)
25mm f/1.4 (Panasonic)
45mm f/1.8 (Olympus)

Would make one nice setup for a walk around street camera. Even the 17mm pancake is not half bad.

I have been telling myself that the technology for mirror-less is not good enough yet, but I think this will be the year I pick up a mirror-less. I just can't decide if it will be Olympus of Fuji. It has taken Olympus & Panasonic 4 years to get M4/3 to this point. Fuji seems to be moving a lot faster.
Those are what I have in m4/3 system, but I have a Pany G3 instead of an Oly, and I still think the G3 is a better camera feature wise, to me at least
02-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #514
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
sadly your theory does not work with Pentax , I 've been here and with this brand long enough to know
Say what !? You think you KNOW what is going to happen ? Well why didn't Pentax hire you then !

*where's that ROFL smilie when you need it*

02-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #515
Veteran Member

Actually, I know wildlife a photographer who loves the K-5, but wont consider it because he needs longer glass. Yes. The 550mm will attract a segment of photographers who are currently not interested in Pentax. There are lot of people who have left the Pentax system because of the lack of long glass. It obviously was not made for the Asian toy camera market.

If this lens has fast/accurate AF and delivers good IQ then it will definitely attract a new type of photographer. Maybe it is difficult for you to understand how that works.
You're unbelievable. If you really believe that the majority of sales of this lens will be to new Pentax users and not the existing user base then ....

* bangs head on wall in disbelief*

You only have to read any Pentax forum to know that the vast majority of early sales will be to existing users as this is what they have been waiting for and what will keep them with Pentax. it is Pentax's existing user base that are saying they will buy this lens. The fact that it will now attract other shooters that want to see a long lens in the Pentax range is an added bonus.
02-10-2012, 03:50 AM   #516
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OM-D is what I hoped Pentax would release

Since I still have a load of Pentax film bodies, which I love for their style, looks and ergonomics and even regularly use next to my K-x, I have to admit that my mouth started watering a moment ago when I saw the first pics of the OM-D E-M5. I know it won't happen, but I immediately thought: I WANT ONE, the hack with changing systems! With all the bells and whistles!

This is all the K-01 (and also Q) is not: a near perfect retro-style, a seemingly functional EVF, weather sealing, rotating LCD, a.s.f... BRING IT ON!!
To state differently: I would be ashamed carrying a K-01 next to a OM-D.

I'm craving for a "LX-D" or a "Super Program-D" styled and sized Pentax with above mentioned features plus full backward compatibility with all K- and newer lenses. (As a realist I know this will not be, never...). And I do NOT care whether it is FF or APS-C. When IQ of the OM-D turns out to be as good as current APS-C which in turn is IMHO is more than a non-professional enthousiast will ever need, then why not change? But as I already said, changing to another system is out of the question, but the addition of a new system I cannot rule out...

Seems to me, Olympus market analysts are or: better paid or: smarter than their Pentax/Ricoh counterparts.
02-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #517
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
You're unbelievable. If you really believe that the majority of sales of this lens will be to new Pentax users and not the existing user base then ....

You only have to read any Pentax forum to know that the vast majority of early sales will be to existing users as this is what they have been waiting for and what will keep them with Pentax. it is Pentax's existing user base that are saying they will buy this lens. The fact that it will now attract other shooters that want to see a long lens in the Pentax range is an added bonus.
At what point did I say that? You really like to twist things around. I said "The 560mm will attract a segment of photographers who are currently not interested in Pentax. " Cameras like the Canon 1DX actually do attract users who will never buy that camera. There are aspiring wildlife/sports/BiF photographers who will look at the Pentax system because they have this glass available.

I was at a workshop in the Smokey Mountains last year after the K-5 had come out. I was the only one there with a Pentax K-7. Several people asked about Pentax and were interested in the new K-5, but the lens options were a big reason they would not buy a Pentax. Out of the 13 of us 4 people had lenses 400mm or longer. Most of these people were enthusiasts or part-time pros.

You may not understand it, but there are people who will not consider the Pentax system because of the lack of long glass. Pentax " will attract a segment of photographers who are currently not interested in Pentax". Those people may never buy the 560mm once they get into they system, but having it there is important. It is just like the amateur who buys the Rebel with kit lens with the intention of f one day owning a 1DX or 5DIII. They may never actually buy either of those cameras, but they buy into the system because of those cameras.

The 560mm is important for Pentax to attract new users. It is not a budget item. It will attract users who actually have money to spend on equipment. One of the problems Pentax has is that it does not attract the higher end enthusiast who has the money to spend. I believe Ned stated last year that they were trying to move up the food chain and attract higher end users. They are trying to raise the perceived value of the Pentax brand. People complained about the initial cost of the K-5, but that is part of it.

I realize this is all very difficult for you to understand, so just keep: * bangs head on wall in disbelief*
02-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #518
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Those are what I have in m4/3 system, but I have a Pany G3 instead of an Oly, and I still think the G3 is a better camera feature wise, to me at least
That is a nice collection of primes, and the announced 75mm looks attractive as well.
Do you like those lenses? would you buy them again? If I do add a mirror-less with M4/3 this year Those are the lenses I am looking at.

02-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #519
Veteran Member

the K-01 at least should've had a tilt-screen. anything new really, just to keep it from being so easily classified and dismissed as a "neutered K-5 for rich children".

02-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #520
Veteran Member

That is a nice collection of primes, and the announced 75mm looks attractive as well.
Do you like those lenses? would you buy them again? If I do add a mirror-less with M4/3 this year Those are the lenses I am looking at.
Yeah, those are very nice lenses, especially love the 12/2 and 25/1.4. I won't let them go unless I give up on m4/3 system. Don't think I'd get the 75mm 'cause it's just way too long to use on a 2x crop system, but I'm sure a lot people are gonna buy it. and it won't be a cheap lens from my experience w other quality m4/3 lenses.
02-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #521
Veteran Member

wants to sell to new users and grow, not sell to its existing stagnant base. K-mount has very little value to in its current state. Hopefully Ricoh can make the investment to improve the value of the system. The new 500mm is a step in the right direction.
What you said ! Pay particular attention to your statement in bold.

Because of course the 550/5.6 will be sold to a new user base .... oh ! That's right ! It won't
What I said.

What I said. Again pay particular attention to the sentence in bold.

You may not understand it, but there are people who will not consider the Pentax system because of the lack of long glass. Pentax " will attract a segment of photographers who are currently not interested in Pentax". Those people may never buy the 560mm once they get into they system, but having it there is important.
This is no different to what I stated above. *bangs head on wall again*

realize this is all very difficult for you to understand, so just keep: * bangs head on wall in disbelief*
I will. Because it's like debating with a zombie who doesn't remember their previous position/comments.

After reading your anti-Pentax posts in thread after thread I agree with the poster that said you are better off on the MTF forums because all you are doing here is trolling.

Last edited by Frogfish; 02-10-2012 at 09:15 AM.
02-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #522
Veteran Member

Let's get ready to ruuuummmbbblllleeeee!
Oly holds the high ground, the Fuji demonstrates resilience, and the Pentax demonstrates the power of positive thinking, I think.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 16 MP Live MOS Interchangeable Lens Camera with 3.0-Inch Tilting OLED Touchscreen and 12-50mm Lens (Black) (aka, "Watch The Throne")
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#2 (-1) in Electronics > Camera & Photo > Digital Cameras > Compact System Cameras

Fujifilm X-Pro 1 16MP Digital Camera with APS-C X-Trans CMOS Sensor (Body Only) (aka "Mama Said Knock You Out")
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #112 (+7) in Camera & Photo (See Top 100 in Camera & Photo)
#7 (+1) in Electronics > Camera & Photo > Digital Cameras > Compact System Cameras

Pentax K-01 16MP APS-C CMOS Compact System Camera Kit with DA 40mm Lens (Black) (aka "Gimme Some Mo')
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #4,028 (-1,202) in Camera & Photo (See Top 100 in Camera & Photo)
#91 (-24) in Electronics > Camera & Photo > Digital Cameras > Compact System Cameras
02-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #523
Veteran Member

Oly holds the high ground, the Fuji demonstrates resilience, and the Pentax demonstrates the power of positive thinking, I think.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 16 MP Live MOS Interchangeable Lens Camera with 3.0-Inch Tilting OLED Touchscreen and 12-50mm Lens (Black) (aka, "Watch The Throne")
#2 (-1) in Electronics > Camera & Photo > Digital Cameras > Compact System Cameras

Fujifilm X-Pro 1 16MP Digital Camera with APS-C X-Trans CMOS Sensor (Body Only) (aka "Mama Said Knock You Out")
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #112 (+7) in Camera & Photo (See Top 100 in Camera & Photo)
#7 (+1) in Electronics > Camera & Photo > Digital Cameras > Compact System Cameras

Pentax K-01 16MP APS-C CMOS Compact System Camera Kit with DA 40mm Lens (Black) (aka "Gimme Some Mo')
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #4,028 (-1,202) in Camera & Photo (See Top 100 in Camera & Photo)
#91 (-24) in Electronics > Camera & Photo > Digital Cameras > Compact System Cameras
sigh, the K-01 never even got in the ring.
02-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #524
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Pentax is flexing its marketing muscle and using the strength of the K-mount to the fullest. I might be wrong when I said that I though the K-01 would be as success as the Q. May have to eat my words.
02-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #525
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
That is interesting - so the Fuji always shows you a bright picture even if you try to underexpose - it doesn't reflect the effect of the exposure? And it doesn't allow you to change that? Are all Fuji models like this?
AFAIK in manual mode this is how it and the X100 behave, and no option to turn it off. This is not a deal breaker, and it's something that hopefully gets fixed via update, but annoys me. I never shoot jpeg with my DSLRs, but on my P&S I'm shooting jpegs in manual since I can nail the exposure right on the display. It's stupid handy.