Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #541
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,114
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Another post from someone who has no real numbers or information to provide.

Ignore this thread if it bothers you so much. You can't; can you?
It's some kind of paranoia IMO...

Can you ignore this thread?

02-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #542
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 896
Amazon sales rank is just one measure, but its still a valid one and in the absence of others it's worth noting.

Just because diehard Pentax users understand the value of the K-Mount and the K-01 doesn't mean the general public does. Opposite in fact, especially when Pentax isn't flooding the press with shots of the K-01 and all the Limited lenses it was meant for attached. A camera's success is based on its system and it's marketing, Pentax certainly has the system, but where's the marketing?

Plenty of good, even great, cameras have been commercial failures. Pentax took a big risk with the design, and they aren't even hedging that bet by showing whats actually GOOD about the K-01. Its lenses.
02-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #543
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,191
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Amazon sales rank is just one measure, but its still a valid one and in the absence of others it's worth noting.
Valid for what purpose? To see if your tastes match others? What does that have to do with whether the product is right for you or not? If folks are looking to "fit in", Pentax is probably not the right choice for them.
02-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #544
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,625
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
No...not as long as you refer to folks who aren't critical of the K-01 as "apologists". If you don't like being labeled...then don't do it to others.
You can call me what ever you want. I'm just asking that if you disagree that you provide some alternate information to support your opinion. Have some numbers, or a link to some sales information that we can look at. Provide something better than the Amazon sales ranking and you can call me what ever makes you feel good.

02-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #545
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,625
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Valid for what purpose? To see if your tastes match others? What does that have to do with whether the product is right for you or not? If folks are looking to "fit in", Pentax is probably not the right choice for them.
This thread has never been about what is right for you. It is about which company/camera is going to be a better success in the market. Which company is going in the right direction (being profitable and growing). Which company is making better decisions?
02-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #546
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,191
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
You can call me what ever you want. I'm just asking that if you disagree that you provide some alternate information to support your opinion. Have some numbers, or a link to some sales information that we can look at. Provide something better than the Amazon sales ranking and you can call me what ever makes you feel good.
The numbers are what they are. If you're waiting for Pentax to be #1...and that's your definition of success..., you're going to be waiting a LONG time.
02-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #547
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 896
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Valid for what purpose? To see if your tastes match others? What does that have to do with whether the product is right for you or not? If folks are looking to "fit in", Pentax is probably not the right choice for them.
unfortunately, popularity means I can look forward to a brand staying in business, which means more development of my chosen system, continued support, and new things to put my lenses on in the future. if you're aim is solely to "be different", then you can find a Kodak film camera pretty cheap these days..

no one expects Pentax to be #1, but we do expect them to be profitable and around for many years.
02-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #548
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,191
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
no one expects Pentax to be #1, but we do expect them to be profitable and around for many years.

Does Amazon tell you that? How does the numbers for the K-01 compare to the numbers for any other Pentax offering?

02-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #549
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,625
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
The numbers are what they are. If you're waiting for Pentax to be #1...and that's your definition of success..., you're going to be waiting a LONG time.
I'm not. I am comparing the three most recent entrants to the mirror-less world and asking which one will do a better job of meeting the needs of the market?

Pentax has the price advantage. A significant one.
Pentax has the most established system which people insist is a major advantage.
Pentax should be more appeal to a larger market. It should sell very well on Amazon which caters to the consumer grade photographer.
Pentax hires a big name designer to set it apart from the competition and appeal to this group.
Pentax has a proven 16MP Sony sensor.

I think it is interesting that sales on Amazon are as weak as they are.

Fuji has been on the sidelines for the past few years and has no legacy system to support it.
Fuji is 3x the price when you factor in the lens.
Fuji is a range finder camera that really only appeals to a small percentage of photographers (or does it)?

Olympus is somewhere in the middle on all of these factors (price, system support, EVF) but sensor is a big question.
02-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #550
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,191
Maybe you're surprised by this...I'm not. In the 4 decades that I've been using Pentax products, they've never been the popular choice. I didn't start using Pentax to be different. I used them because of their value.
02-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #551
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 896
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Does Amazon tell you that? How does the numbers for the K-01 compare to the numbers for any other Pentax offering?
sales numbers do tell us that.

Amazon are sales numbers, not all of them, but a pretty major one. I remember when the color K-x models scored highly on that chart and that was indicative of something. something important, because the success of that particular model and marketing move definitely impacted Pentax as a brand and its continuing fate.
02-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #552
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,625
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Does Amazon tell you that? How does the numbers for the K-01 compare to the numbers for any other Pentax offering?
The K-5 is #37 in sales ranking for DSLRs which is pretty good given Pentax marketing.
The K-5 is #414 in Camera & Photo

The K-01 is classified as a compact system camera and not in the top 100.
The K-01 is #4,935 in Camera & Photo

Considering MOST cameras get a sales bump right after the announcement and trade show I think that is pretty awful.

For some individuals the K-01 will be a great camera, but that does not mean it will be a success in the larger market.
02-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #553
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,191
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
For some individuals the K-01 will be a great camera, but that does not mean it will be a success in the larger market.
I don't care about the larger market. I care whether the K-01 will be a great camera. Actually, I don't even care if it's a great camera. I only care about whether it's a step in the right direction. Personally, I think it is and I think it points to innovative thinking and greater things coming from Pentax...Amazon be damned.
02-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #554
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,625
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Maybe you're surprised by this...I'm not. In the 4 decades that I've been using Pentax products, they've never been the popular choice. I didn't start using Pentax to be different. I used them because of their value.
Why don't more people see that value? If lots of people recognized that value then would sales not reflect that? Is that value actually there? What numbers can you give me to quantify this value? Value is a vague term.

I used the Pentax 67II for almost 5 years before going with the Contax 645. I want to see Pentax return to the days where professionals recognized the name. Forcing one of the best lens designers in the industry and bringing out cameras like the Q and K-01 are not a step in the right direction in my opinion.
02-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #555
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,625
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I don't care about the larger market. I care whether the K-01 will be a great camera. Actually, I don't even care if it's a great camera. I only care about whether it's a step in the right direction. Personally, I think it is and I think it points to innovative thinking and greater things coming from Pentax...Amazon be damned.
If you are not concerned with how the K-01 is perceived by the larger market then you should have no interest in this thread, because that is what it is about.

Pentax may end up falling to the roll of niche camera company, but it better find a strong niche. Not a lot of money for R&D there unless they go way up the price scale and try to become like Leica. Companies that sell small volumes of product have to compensate for it with higher prices. People are complaining about the cost of the Fuji, but it is a niche product.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, cameras, fuji, k-01, k01, legacy, lens, mirrorless, olympus, pentax, pentax k-01, support, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full size Fuji X-Pro high ISO images posted... JohnBee Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 12 02-05-2012 09:30 PM
Fuji EVIL - Pro Winder Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 14 10-12-2011 02:12 AM
Pentax PRO Feature that a Pro Photog couldn't find in CaNikon! HermanLee Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 05-03-2009 09:36 AM
street shots - Fuji 400 Pro Gooshin Pentax Film SLR Discussion 17 01-16-2009 06:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:41 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top