Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #721
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
How can this be, the Fuji isn't even on the market yet ?
This party is mostly over, but you can help load the dishwasher.

04-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #722

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Interesting - I have not seen this described anywhere before. So how does it work? Quick turns adjust fast and slow steady turning is used for precision focusing?
Yes, that is pretty much how I use. Still, I do not have solid, scientific evidences to back it up, just that it seems to work this way for me.
04-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #723
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
So as it stands now :

OM-D:

Good set of avaliable primes lenses (no fast zooms)

Pros
-------
Good IQ at low ISO
Fast AF speed
EVF

Cons
-------
low noise performance good till 1600, usable to 3200. 1 stop behid APS-C rivals (ie. NEX5n, K-01)
Nosier files even at base ISO. Less able to take more PP if necessary.
Just a couple of comments here, I am a recent m4/3 "convert" (so recent I don't even have the camera yet), so have been reading up quite a bit.

Right now there are indeed no fast zooms, but Panasonic is working on a couple of m4/3 zooms that look interesting, particularly the 12-35/2.8. So there's hope on the horizon, though the rumors point towards a price near 1000 EUR for it. Ouch!

As for ISO performance, it is of course highly subjective, but I have downloaded and played with a bunch of files from the G3 and GX1 (and the E-M5 appears to outperform both of them quite comfortably), and I would not hesitate to shoot 3200 and with some PP work even 6400 makes a nice 8x10 print. But what is acceptable to my eyes might not be to yours.

Regarding the X-Pro 1, I keep seeing so many differing opinions on AF performance that I am just not going to pass any judgment until I actually get to try one for myself. Some people say it's "useless", others say it's on par with current m4/3 bodies (which is quite fast). I have a feeling the so-so AF performance of the X100 has caused expectations of similar issues on the X-Pro 1, and people tend to see what they want to see sometimes.
04-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #724
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
How can this be, the Fuji isn't even on the market yet ?
Yes, it is.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/839135-REG/Fujifilm_162255391_X_Pro_1_Digital_Camera.html

04-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #725
Veteran Member

I don't like the junk that the x-pro superimposes over the viewfinder. Really annoying. I guess you can turn it off though. I also dislike that it's not the actual image your taking (general rangefinder problem)

Personally I don't see the point of rangefinder now that we can have a decent mirrorless with an evf which is more compact
04-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #726
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Tx,... time for me to wake up ;-)
04-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #727
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
I don't like the junk that the x-pro superimposes over the viewfinder. Really annoying. I guess you can turn it off though. I also dislike that it's not the actual image your taking (general rangefinder problem)

Personally I don't see the point of rangefinder now that we can have a decent mirrorless with an evf which is more compact
I don't know about the x-pro, but I tried the X100 this week and was really disappointed by its performance actually; and I really wanted to like this camera. The EVF is certainly not that great, and AF speed and even worse recording time was not all that impressive.
04-09-2012, 02:07 AM   #728
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Just a couple of comments here, I am a recent m4/3 "convert" (so recent I don't even have the camera yet), so have been reading up quite a bit.

Right now there are indeed no fast zooms, but Panasonic is working on a couple of m4/3 zooms that look interesting, particularly the 12-35/2.8. So there's hope on the horizon, though the rumors point towards a price near 1000 EUR for it. Ouch!

As for ISO performance, it is of course highly subjective, but I have downloaded and played with a bunch of files from the G3 and GX1 (and the E-M5 appears to outperform both of them quite comfortably), and I would not hesitate to shoot 3200 and with some PP work even 6400 makes a nice 8x10 print. But what is acceptable to my eyes might not be to yours.

Regarding the X-Pro 1, I keep seeing so many differing opinions on AF performance that I am just not going to pass any judgment until I actually get to try one for myself. Some people say it's "useless", others say it's on par with current m4/3 bodies (which is quite fast). I have a feeling the so-so AF performance of the X100 has caused expectations of similar issues on the X-Pro 1, and people tend to see what they want to see sometimes.

I do have the G3 and GF1 before it.
Personally, I think biggish zooms spoil the form factor of the m4/3 cameras.
It remains to be seen how good the announced fast zooms are, personally, I'd expect them to be very center sharp, but probably reliant on software correction for distortion. (as with most m4/3 lenses)
Its been discussed that the sensor for the OM-D and G3 are likely the same.
Comparison of Olympus E-M5 and Panasonic G3 RAW Files - Same Sensor or Not? - Micro Four Thirds User Forum
I don't expect it to be miles better than the one one the G3, maybe a bit better with Oly's weaker AA filter and better JPG processing ability.
ISO3200 is certainly usable and even 6400 too depending on personal tolerance.
The files from the K-01/K5 are always lower in noise (even at base ISO) and pulls away from ISO1600.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/177763-k-01-vs-k-5-jpg-...e-samples.html
Personally, I've found that the m4/3 files are more 'brittle' to PP because of this.
Wonderful system though. Very good balance of size/weight/cost/performance.

BTW, on the Xpro.
Here is quite a link with the scoop on it (links to may sites talking abt it)
Fuji X-Pro1 | Scoop.it
Looks like the AF slowness is pretty real.

04-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #729

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I do have the G3 and GF1 before it.
Personally, I think biggish zooms spoil the form factor of the m4/3 cameras.
It remains to be seen how good the announced fast zooms are, personally, I'd expect them to be very center sharp, but probably reliant on software correction for distortion. (as with most m4/3 lenses)
Its been discussed that the sensor for the OM-D and G3 are likely the same.
Comparison of Olympus E-M5 and Panasonic G3 RAW Files - Same Sensor or Not? - Micro Four Thirds User Forum
I don't expect it to be miles better than the one one the G3, maybe a bit better with Oly's weaker AA filter and better JPG processing ability.
ISO3200 is certainly usable and even 6400 too depending on personal tolerance.
The files from the K-01/K5 are always lower in noise (even at base ISO) and pulls away from ISO1600.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/177763-k-01-vs-k-5-jpg-...e-samples.html
Personally, I've found that the m4/3 files are more 'brittle' to PP because of this.
Wonderful system though. Very good balance of size/weight/cost/performance.
The "brittlenesss" of the m4/3 files is the main reason I left 4/3. I had shot a parachuting landing site with my E-5 and even my ISO 1600 files which were nice, could not be pushed or pulled without adding tons of noise. Went with the K-5 as a replacement and I can move ISO 6400 files better then the ISO 1600 files in the E-5. It is also a lighter and more capable camera to boot.
Don't get me wrong, m4/3 has it's place and with nice glass can do some fine low ISO work and with a tack on exposure, it can do some really nice high ISO work. Just the head room is missing from what can be done with APC. Most people won't notice but I print up to 16x20 and for print that size, it gets worked over quite a bit. I don't want to have to do 2 steps of corrective PP for every step of desired PP I perform.
04-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #730

I think the problem for any Pentax camera is that they do not aggressively promote their product(s). Those of us who are on the dark side of 60 are the people who are very familiar,and who know all about the quality of Pentax lenses and cameras. Younger people are mostly the p&s consumer...which is fine,of course(I have an Optio12) but when they decide they might want to try to go fully d-SLR,they don't see any ads for Pentax.. no glitzy or splashy ads to attract new customers. Even in the major photo mags,you rarely see an ad for a Pentax.Even the camera shops usually don't offer Pentax cameras.
Honestly,though,even if Pentax takes a back seat to the cameras you mentioned, we who have a lot of love and experience with Pentax photo products will most likely stick to our old/new favorite.
04-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #731
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPen Quote
I think the problem for any Pentax camera is that they do not aggressively promote their product

I did note a very brief article in PC World about it, but have not seen anything else on it anywhere on any newsstands. Now that is very disappointing not to see anything in places like; Shutterbug, Popular Photography, and even in European magazines that are on the newsstand.

Sure there are items on the internet, but outside of this forum - most are critically incomplete, quite biased, and not professionally reviewed much
04-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #732
Veteran Member

FWIW, I just checked the first image ("New outdoor") for both the K-01 and X-Pro1 in the Imaging Resource comparometer. The K-01 image was plainly better -- more detail in the flowers and fewer blown highlights. Perhaps this particular comparison is not representative, but I'm really don't see how the price difference between the two can be justified on IQ.
05-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #733
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I am waiting to see the reviews get posted and see what happens to sales once product is actually shipping and the main websites have published their findings.

I think that will be the next big swing, but I'm not sure Olympus of Fuji can do much better than they already have in sales.
I said I would come back to this in a year to see who actually did better. Fuji, Olympus or Pentax.

Which camera has held it pricing better over the last year? Which camera won the most awards? Which camera made the biggest impact?

Olympus is by far the most refined of the 3, but Olympus has had 3 generations of mirrorless cameras prior to releasing the OM-D.
Fuji was quirky, but this is the first ILC for Fuji in 5 years. Fuji cranked out firmware updates every 2-3 months and made a lot of improvements.
Pentax is practically giving the K-01 away........
05-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #734
Loyal Site Supporter

Which is really too bad because it is a much better camera and deserved a much better marketing effort then it received. It has tons of flexibility, courtesy of the lenses it can use, and it has awesome image quality. Ah well, such is life and business, especially with Pentax.
05-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #735
Pentaxian

I said I would come back to this in a year to see who actually did better. Fuji, Olympus or Pentax.

Which camera has held it pricing better over the last year? Which camera won the most awards? Which camera made the biggest impact?

Olympus is by far the most refined of the 3, but Olympus has had 3 generations of mirrorless cameras prior to releasing the OM-D.
Fuji was quirky, but this is the first ILC for Fuji in 5 years. Fuji cranked out firmware updates every 2-3 months and made a lot of improvements.
That may well be true, but I don't choose cameras based on sales figures or the number of awards it has won. The K-01 is a heck of a bargain - comparablel IQ of the other two at a fraction of the cost. If I was building a three prime system today and not shooting action, I'd seriously consider the K-01.

What Blog is This?: 3 Primes in the New World