Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #76
Veteran Member

There's not a chance that a 16-85 will be constant f2.8 (unfortunately)

02-03-2012, 03:53 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
There is not a snowballs chance in hell that the camera that Pentax announced today is going to outsell the Fuji XP1.
You have to seriously be joking right ? A $750 camera not outsell a $2,300 camera - what planet are you on ?
02-03-2012, 03:58 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The same reason iphone outsell many cheap phones. Besides, X-Pro1 cost 1.7k in the US, not 2.3k.
02-03-2012, 04:01 AM   #79
Veteran Member

The Fuji X-PRO 1 W/35mm F/1.4 will set you back $2,300 which is less than the K-5 w/31mm F/1.8 when it was released.... and yes I am willing to bet the 35mm Fujinon is as good or better than the 31mm LTD.
So it will be one of the very best lenses ever made ? If you hadn't made 700+ posts I'd think your name was akin to the reason for you being on here. It's not that you make reasoned arguments, you are being sensationalist just for sake of it, in the way you are comparing cameras (and the Fuji lens) which haven't even been released yet.

02-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Because despite Fuji being a no-one in the market ...... .
*coughs* *splutters* *chokes on tea*

Fuji are a no-one ? Jesus wept.
02-03-2012, 04:20 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The K-01 is mass-market. The Fujifilm XPRO1 and OM-D are going to be pricey enthusiast cameras. It's unreasonable to make comparisons.

On the XPRO1, the Fujifilm annual financials report was out just a few days ago - the very popular APS-C X100 sold 100,000 units to Dec 31 2011. But that was out of total Fuji camera sales of 9.5 million cameras during the year. I just can't see the twice as expensive (and still merely APS-C) XPRO1 doing anywhere near the same volume as the X100. It's going to be a great camera no doubt, but it is going to occupy a low-volume, premium niche.
In a nutshell.
02-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No anger. I just want to point out that legacy lens support is irrelevant. Fuji has NONE and it is going to out sell the Pentax at 2x the price. Both M4/3 and X-mount will out sell K-mount this year.

Pentax forced one of the best lens designers in the business into retirement last year, but the guy who gave us the Q probably still has a job..... Fuji is going after Leica and Pentax is trying to take on Fisher-Price.
Legacy support is important to a different segment of buyers than Fuji is selling to. People moving up from point and shoots who want better image quality, but still small size and don't care to shoot using an LCD screen are what the K-01 is aiming at. These people need autofocus. They aren't going to be out there messing around with adapters and forty year old lenses. There are a lot of them out there and I would be surprised (if it is marketed right) if the K-01 wasn't selling considerably more in three to four months than the Fuji.

To me, this is the new Q -- the Q as it should have been -- and I would be shocked if it didn't sell well in the end.

02-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
The same reason iphone outsell many cheap phones. Besides, X-Pro1 cost 1.7k in the US, not 2.3k.
$2.3k is list and the K-01 lists at $750 .... so do you think that will be it's street price ? Neither do I.
02-03-2012, 05:13 AM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
$2.3k is list and the K-01 lists at $750 .... so do you think that will be it's street price ? Neither do I.
Uh, is it not that 1,700US$ is for the body alone? Even in optimistic sense, I do not think it will go down more than 10% of its price within 3 months.
02-03-2012, 05:19 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I still don't get it as to why they kept the k mount. To me, if you want to go mirrorless, designing a new mount is an absolute necessity. Why completely and utterly ignore the biggest advantage that mirrorless set up can offer?
I think it is clear. Because Pentax wanted to have a ready supply of small, autofocus capable lenses for this camera and they didn't want to spend years designing more, plus try to figure out how to create an adapter with a focus motor in it that would run the DA/FA lenses.

I think it is clear that the K-01 is not targeted at the upper end crowd who want to adapt leica m and Canon FD glass for their cameras. They are interested in soccer moms who want to take photos of Johnny, but don't want a big camera and want/need auto focus lenses to do it with. For this segment of the market, the Fuji and frankly the NEX series of cameras is a major fail!

Create a camera for the people dissatisfied with their cellphone/ point and shoot photos, and you could sell thousands without any problem. I think this could be a great seller if there is just a little marketing involved.

Edit: I would like to say that I am more than OK with this decision. If Pentax had released a non-K mount camera in mirrorless, the odds of new k mount lenses being released in the coming years would drop considerably. With this release, Pentax has much more drive to fill in the gaps in the current lens line up.

Last edited by Rondec; 02-03-2012 at 07:55 AM.
02-03-2012, 05:22 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K1D27H Quote
Uh, is it not that 1,700US$ is for the body alone? Even in optimistic sense, I do not think it will go down more than 10% of its price within 3 months.
I would be surprised if it was still selling at over $700 after 3 months. And yes that's body alone ... most Pentax users won't need/want the other lenses (maybe the 40XS but then not if they already have other lenses around that FL - or they'll sell one or two to get the new XS) though new users will of course.
02-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #87

I would be surprised if it was still selling at over $700 after 3 months. And yes that's body alone ... most Pentax users won't need/want the other lenses (maybe the 40XS but then not if they already have other lenses around that FL - or they'll sell one or two to get the new XS) though new users will of course.
Uh, that 10% I meant for the Fuji body. I believe K-01 will go down in price faster than Fuji. X100 in my country managed to retained the price even six months had passed!
02-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #88
Veteran Member

When Q appeared, I thought it a miracle. I didn't buy it, though I still constrain myself to do so. Next generation Q, with a bit better iq, and I will. If you love camera's, how can you not love that one.
Now there is the knock-out one. I really feel knocked out by it. Still contemplating its appearance/arrival. No, vf is not that important, but why no tilt-swivel screen, I regret it is missing.
Above all the question, how will it perform, how. Image quality will be good, but how will it perform. Will it indeed be fast enough for this soccer grandmom. I know that is going to be my main deciding point. I think the yellow one will look good on me.
And I don't care too much about what is thought or not and even if I do, whatever: Pentax has been with me for over 40 years now, and how lame, but will be forever with me because of the Takumars, so yes, that is an enormous issue for me and I cannot express hard enough how fabulously great it would be to use them without extra adapter on a mirrorless with brilliant focussing assists (across screen movable and at the same time enlargeable focussing points).

But Fuji to attrack more? Yes, me too, who knows. Oly and the new to come om-d e5? They will show a new 75mm 1.8 lens ... I'll run to get that one. For sure. For I have grown a deep love for my e-p3.

Meanwhile, to weather it all out, to see who will do what and how all their products perform and who offers me the best for me: fuji, pentaxricoh, oly, ... I bought a Samsung nx100&200 with 20/30/60/85. With cashback, with great deals on already low prices, I couldn't have bought the new fuji with one lens. And my, what good lenses those samsungs are. Suddenly fuji is not that important anymore. But Pentax has Q and the ever entangling hope for ff and now the kezeroone.
02-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #89
Pentaxian

*coughs* *splutters* *chokes on tea*

Fuji are a no-one ? Jesus wept.
Fuji was dead in the high-end digital market until the X system. If you think Pentax was just statistical error on sales, they weren't even there.

I'm not considering their P&S sales or their glorious past when I made this statement, obviously. If you consider all this they are probably bigger than Pentax.
02-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Fuji was dead in the high-end digital market until the X system. If you think Pentax was just statistical error on sales, they weren't even there.

I'm not considering their P&S sales or their glorious past when I made this statement, obviously. If you consider all this they are probably bigger than Pentax.
Not really, they made H series for Hasselblad and sell them in Japan with their brand on them. They even made a 20mp digital back for their GX680IIIS.