Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote

Hope you don't choke over this...
Same or better image quality and cheaper than the K-5 in a smaller size... Pentax distributors will sell them quicker than they can get their hands on them.
It wont bother me if I do. I would love to see Pentax be successful. I would love to see them grow and put competitive products on the market. That is the problem. I don't see them releasing competitive products. The K-5 is a strong camera. The Q and K-01 are pretty weak. The K-01 has the same 16MP sensor as the K-5, but so does the NEX-5N and the Sony A55 which also compete in this market at a similar price point. I'm 90% sure that the Fuji XP1 has he same Sony sensor with a different color array and low-pass filter. The 16MP Sony sensor is practically a commodity item right now.

Legacy lens support is only relevant to a small number of people. Pentax has maybe 4% market share and maybe 1/2 of those people care about mirror-less, and maybe 1/2 of those people care about keeping the K-mount.

I think the Pentax K-01 will bomb relative to the offerings from Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, & Fuji.

People seem to think that the Pentax will sell very well because of its price, but at that price point there are a lot competition. The Sony A55 (same sensor) with 18-55 zoom sells for $800.00. There are a lot of competitive products at this price point. Many with better features.
Fuji will sell more, because even at $1,700 for just the body it is a very unique product. It has better IQ than the 5DII in a smaller package. At $1,700 Fuji is competing against higher end products that actually cost more. And if a Fuji user wants to use a 77mm LTD all they need to do is buy an adapter.

02-03-2012, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #107
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Interesting...do you always let Amazon tell you which camera is better than another without handling either?
At what point did I say that? Amazon is the best source we have to gauge sales. It gauges market demand. I don't have to handle anything to look at the rankings and see what products are successful, so I have no idea what point you are trying to make.
02-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
At what point did I say that? Amazon is the best source we have to gauge sales. It gauges market demand. I don't have to handle anything to look at the rankings and see what products are successful, so I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

Good...because I didn't have any idea what point you were trying to make, either, by measuring success based upon potential sales of cameras that aren't available yet.
02-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
If you want an AF lens on that body then you're going to have to shell out another $599 minimum ! So it's not $1,700 it's $2,300 or an adapter and MF lenses only.

As for sales, maybe there was distribution problems due to the events in Japan / Thailand so it wouldn't be at all surprising if any new product maintained it's initial price until the manufacturing and distribution caught up with bak=ck orders.

EDIT. Yes they had manufacturing & distribution issues.

Unfortunately, Fujifilm's Taiwa-Cho factory -- responsible for producing the X100 -- was located just twenty miles from Sendai City, one of the hardest-hit areas by a major earthquake and tsunami that devastated much of the northeastern coast of Honshu, Japan on the afternoon of Friday, March 11, 2011. Three days later, Fujifilm revealed that while, thankfully, none of its staff at the plant were injured, the facility had sustained some damage, necessitating a halt in production of the X100, right as the camera was reaching the market. The rest of the company's digital camera line was unaffected, being manufactured in other areas.
Fuji had projected to sell 70,000 units of the X100 last year. They sold over 100,000. Those are very impressive numbers for a fixed lens camera that is priced higher than a Pentax K-5. How many Pentax K-5s did Pentax sell in 2011? The numbers are hard to come by.

02-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Good...because I didn't have any idea what point you were trying to make, either, by measuring success based upon potential sales of cameras that aren't available yet.
And if you read the first post I said we will look at it in 6 months.
02-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I will never have enough money to buy that Fuji. Hell, I can't even saved enough for a K-5. But, probably next year K-01 price will be low enough for me. I'll stick to my trusty weather sealed K20D for rough rides and K-01 with a nice manual prime for a walk in the park.

I thank Pentax for not forgetting me, a simple person who enjoys taking pictures of cats and flowers, smiling at the beautiful results, while still be able to save up for my children's education.
02-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
I will never have enough money to buy that Fuji. Hell, I can't even saved enough for a K-5. But, probably next year K-01 price will be low enough for me. I'll stick to my trusty weather sealed K20D for rough rides and K-01 with a nice manual prime for a walk in the park.

I thank Pentax for not forgetting me, a simple person who enjoys taking pictures of cats and flowers, smiling at the beautiful results, while still be able to save up for my children's education.
Did you feel forgotten by the K-r? It was cheaper if I recall. Pentax has taken the K-r and taken the way the OVF and reduced the number of manual controls and raised the price. Yes, Thank you Pentax.

Pentax K-01 with 40mm is $899.00 on Amazon right now. Amazon.com: Pentax K-01 16MP APS-C CMOS Compact System Camera Kit with DA 40mm Lens (Black): Camera & Photo
Pentax K-r with 2 lens is $788.00 Amazon.com: Pentax K-r 12.4 MP Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and 55-300mm f/4-5.8 Lenses (Black): Electronics

Thank you Pentax.......You are not forgotten.....

02-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Fuji had projected to sell 70,000 units of the X100 last year. They sold over 100,000. Those are very impressive numbers for a fixed lens camera that is priced higher than a Pentax K-5. How many Pentax K-5s did Pentax sell in 2011? The numbers are hard to come by.
Did you even bother to read the title of this thread before persistently extolling the virtues of the X100 and it's sales figures, a camera that is in fact not even included in the title ? Maybe we should bring the Kr into the equation too ?

EDIT. Oh I see you've just done that
02-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you feel forgotten by the K-r? It was cheaper if I recall. Pentax has taken the K-r and taken the way the OVF and reduced the number of manual controls and raised the price. Yes, Thank you Pentax.

Pentax K-01 with 40mm is $899.00 on Amazon right now. Amazon.com: Pentax K-01 16MP APS-C CMOS Compact System Camera Kit with DA 40mm Lens (Black): Camera & Photo
Pentax K-r with 2 lens is $788.00 Amazon.com: Pentax K-r 12.4 MP Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and 55-300mm f/4-5.8 Lenses (Black): Electronics

Thank you Pentax.......You are not forgotten.....
Hey, let's disregard the k-5 sensor. And the much improved video modes. Stuff that, you know, is nice to supplement a full-on camera with.
02-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Winder
You should compare not the actual price of the K-R but the Launching price Launch price was

$799.95 (body only)
$849.95 (with 18-55mm lens)
$899.95 (with 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses)
$999.95 (with 18-55mm and 50-300mm lenses)
02-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Winder
You should compare not the actual price of the K-R but the Launching price Launch price was

$799.95 (body only)
$849.95 (with 18-55mm lens)
$899.95 (with 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses)
$999.95 (with 18-55mm and 50-300mm lenses)
Shush, your logic of comparing the launch price of a camera over a year old and the launch price of a camera that came out now is not needed here. Everyone knows that I shouldn't get that new BMW from this year because last year's model is toootally cheaper now.
02-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #117
Veteran Member

You should adress your answer to Winder, is the one who make the comparaison
02-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
You should adress your answer to Winder, is the one who make the comparaison
I'm using humorous sarcasm. I always hate the statements "What, it's xxx price? But the previous model is a little bit cheaper! Who will get this crap!"

I mean, I can get myself a k-7 for something like $600 bucks around here. Why am I waiting and saving up to get the k-5 at nearly a grand? That's just silly of me.
02-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #119
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Shush, your logic of comparing the launch price of a camera over a year old and the launch price of a camera that came out now is not needed here. Everyone knows that I shouldn't get that new BMW from this year because last year's model is toootally cheaper now.
OK. Use the launch numbers. Dose not change anything. The K-01 is still an entry level camera with no OVF and fewer manual controls.... for the same price. Even with the launch numbers Pentax is charging more for a camera with fewer features and probably slower AF.

Why are people happy about this?
02-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #120
Veteran Member

OK. Use the launch numbers. Dose not change anything. The K-01 is still an entry level camera with no OVF and fewer manual controls.... for the same price. Even with the launch numbers Pentax is charging more for a camera with fewer features and probably slower AF.

Why are people happy about this?
Pentax is charging less, considering $750 is less than $799. It's got a k-5 sensor. It's got great video. It's can take pictures probably as well as the k-5. Sure you might have to use it a little differently. I know a couple of lovely ladies who use point and shoots to take pictures of cats and flowers and won't really mind that the K-01 is a bit bulkier (hey, it comes in bumblebee yellow, that's adorable).

If it was literally a K-R minus a viewfinder and minus those camera controls without adding proper video support, then obviously all these complaints about price and value and so on are completely and utterly valid.

It's a k-5 minus a viewfinder and minus those camera controls, and instead it gets a ton of video manual controls. Can we say now that at $750 launch price, it's far better than the k-5's $1600 launch price?