Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #256
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
How about a K-01 + DA21 + DA35 + DA70 = 749+509+509+509 = $2276
You're being too kind. I suspect that the cost for most buyers of the K-01 is going to be $749 because they already have some Pentax lenses. How many people already have lenses in the Fuji mount? uh....none.

02-05-2012, 06:06 AM   #257
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
A funny message from another stupid in North America where looks are everything!!! Even at 1270$ I'll take looks over the camera that belongs to my kid's room.
Please tell me that you didn't just accuse someone of thinking looks are everything, then turn right around in the next sentence and say you'd buy one camera over another based on looks. Did you really? Yeah...you did. lol
02-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #258
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by userage Quote
Urm hello? I'm 16. .
Where are you from?
So strange English....

I think this way
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/174204-my-opinion-about-k-01-design.html
02-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #259
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
In the case of owners of Pentax lenses like me, that's actually

X-Pro1 + XF18 + XF35 + XF60 = 1699$+599$+599$+649$=3546$

vs.

K-01 = $750

For that money difference, I think I could get over not looking cool in Paris.

For that money difference, you can almost pay for your trip to Paris and have enough left over to buy yourself a beret so you'll still look cool...or not. lol

02-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #260
ogl
Banned

I've heard that X-Pro1 has rather slow AF.
02-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #261
Veteran Member

I'm hearing a heck of a lot about people pre ordering the Fuji. At the moment the Fuji is top of Amazons best sellers with the Pentax being 24th.
Wait until they both start becoming available in shops, the reviews come in etc. You are rushing to judgement - on two very different cameras too, no less. At the moment it is all just buzz.
02-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #262
Veteran Member

From Rondec: "The people who drive me nuts are those who claim to be the experts and to know exactly what will happen to new products on the market."

I couldn't agree more. If truly such experts, posters should be working for major camera companies. If working for major camera companies, posters probably shouldn't be posting. :-)

02-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #263
Pentaxian

There are two groups (both of which have valid opinions) that are totally opposed to each other. On the one hand, we have the Fuji proponents, who believe that Fuji's ability to nail that retro vibe will cause people to drop a lot of cash for their cameras. And, if we believe Amazon, right now it looks like there's a lot of truth to that. But on the other hand, we have the folks who talk about "upgrade paths" and "FF cameras" being the secret to success. For those folks, the K-01 is a vastly superior option.
02-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #264
ogl
Banned

I mean I don't hear a lot of people are pre ordering the K-01. I'm hearing a heck of a lot about people pre ordering the Fuji. At the moment the Fuji is top of Amazons best sellers with the Pentax being 24th.

If you mean this link
Mirrorless Rumors | Blog | And the most (pre)ordered mirrorless camera of the moment is...the Fuji X PRO 1!

I'm sorry...It's site of RUMORS, first of all...And no any proof for such info. Amazon can say EVERYTHING....How to prove?
Don't you think it's marketing move to attract the interest to X-Pro 1

Pay attention
Amazon Best Sellers: Best Compact System Cameras
GE Power Pro X500-BK - first place....

Do you know such camera? Try to find somebody here who tried this GE?

Do you really believe that GE is the best-seller?

And...Amason is not special photo shop....
02-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #265

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
If you mean this link
I'm sorry...It's site of RUMORS, first of all...And no any proof for such info. Amazon can say EVERYTHING....How to prove?
Don't you think it's marketing move to attract the interest to X-Pro 1

Pay attention
Amazon Best Sellers: Best Compact System Cameras
GE Power Pro X500-BK - first place....

Do you know such camera? Try to find somebody here who tried this GE?

Do you really believe that GE is the best-seller?

And...Amason is not special photo shop....

Last I checked Amazon which was yesterday, Fuji was first and the Pentax was 24th, checking it again only thing that's different is Fuji is 2nd. Amazon may not be a 'special photo shop' but its a very big electronics shop. Everyone I know uses it because they have great service.

And no I did not go by what that website had written, I have checked the responses of many people on the Fuji, Olympus and the Pentax. Everytime I scrolled down I saw people commenting that they had already pre ordered.

Saying do you know anyone with that G.E. camera, to try claim that it is not popular, is not very logical. Just because you may not know someone with it doesn't mean its not popular. Like in the Smartphone market, people go on about the top brands being Apple and HTC, ask these people if they think anyone has a Nokia they will proclaim 'noone has that phone', yet Nokia sells more phones that both of these companies. Just like G.E. may not have such a great brand recognition but they still may be a best seller. (I haven't looked into their sales so just speculating at the moment)

Like I said, the main people who like this design are the Pentaxians, every other website I've checked the majority of comments are negative about its design. I can't help but to feel thats only because they don't want to admit its a poor design.

Also heres something, The Olympus OM-D EM-5 is claimed to have the fastest AF of all mirrorless cameras. Thats something they could market, all Pentax can market is the fact that it has the K-5 sensor, and thats not going to stand out to a new buyer because everyone is going to claim they have amazing picture quality but not many can some they have the best of something.

Also since you asked, I'm from England.
02-05-2012, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #266
Veteran Member

Urm hello? I'm 16. The Pentax K-01 is atrocious. I told one of my friends about it, he looked at it and laughed. I don't know how young you mean. Maybe a toddler would pick up the K-01 instead, but everyone thinks the Fuji looks amazing. You Pentaxians just can't admit its a design fail. I mean its suppose to be made of aluminium yet its yellow? How classy.

Design wise, it just sucks really. We all know it has the K-5 Sensor so it will perform great, but that's really not enough if they want large sales. I don't see the problem in doing what Sony did and making a different mount and making an adapter for the current line up. I really don't think the K-01 will be a big seller outside of the Pentax community.

I mean I don't hear a lot of people are pre ordering the K-01. I'm hearing a heck of a lot about people pre ordering the Fuji. At the moment the Fuji is top of Amazons best sellers with the Pentax being 24th.
Hey userage,

Glad to have a young photographer joining in the discussion. Please note that in my post I said "most", knowing full well that there are exception to every rule.

I think it is much too early to call the K-01 a failure. After all, it's only been a couple of days since it was announced, and only a handful of reviewers have held pre-production copies. Likewise the Fuji. Let's talk 6 months from now after they have both been released.

Regarding Amazon, it's unfair to compare the Fuji and K-01 presales on Amazon. After all the K-01 was just announced last week while the Fuji was announced weeks prior. Also, based on what Pentax executives in the UK have said, the K-01 is targeted towards upgrading, emerging, and otherwise non-traditional photographers. Those don't sound like the kind of people that will pre-order a camera days after being announced.

I think we all need to take a deep breath.
02-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #267

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Hey userage,

Glad to have a young photographer joining in the discussion. Please note that in my post I said "most", knowing full well that there are exception to every rule.

I think it is much too early to call the K-01 a failure. After all, it's only been a couple of days since it was announced, and only a handful of reviewers have held pre-production copies. Likewise the Fuji. Let's talk 6 months from now after they have both been released.

Regarding Amazon, it's unfair to compare the Fuji and K-01 presales on Amazon. After all the K-01 was just announced last week while the Fuji was announced weeks prior. Also, based on what Pentax executives in the UK have said, the K-01 is targeted towards upgrading, emerging, and otherwise non-traditional photographers. Those don't sound like the kind of people that will pre-order a camera days after being announced.

Yes that's true it is quite unfair to compare them at the moment. But considering it has no VF I just assume people will use it as a point and shoot, and its quite large for a P&S. One thing it definately has over the Fuji and Olympus is definitely price. The Pentax will most definitely have better image quality than the Olympus which has the Lumix GX1 sensor. Same with the Fuji as the samples I have seen are lacking detail, though that could be a different story with RAW files.

Also one thing that just struck me, The K-01 is going to arrive for £680, but you can pick up a K-5 for £780.. The K-01 is hardly smaller than the K-5 plus I think a VF and Weather Sealing would be worth that extra 100. (UK Prices btw, in USA the K-01 is cheaper?).

I don't think they have done enough to justify that price. If they modernised one of their old film cameras (without the help of Marc) and put lets say the K-x/r sensor in it, I think they would be onto a winner. They wouldn't have to charge extra for the 'exclusive' design and even with the K-x/r sensor the image quality would still be great and on par if not better than other Mirrorless cameras. Add an OVF, or EVF as some people prefer? I would see no reason to buy the Olympus. The Fuji would probably have slightly better IQ but not so much better to justify its price.

But I guess we should just we wait for the reviews to see how it actually performs in the real world.
02-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #268
Veteran Member

Original Poster

The reason I like to use Amazon is that I think a large number Fuji's will be bought through B&H or Adorama or one of the larger specialty shops. I think Amazon actually benefits the Pentax because it caters to more consumers and amateurs which is a better target for the K-01. More K-01 customers buy cameras on Amazon than Fuji XP1 type customers.

Fuji was announced a few weeks ago, but Amazon started taking pre-orders for both with in 24 hours of each other. So the availability has been fairly equal.

I think we will see sales of both fall off next week as people wait for CP+. There will also be a bump or dip for both after reviews start to circulate. I still think the new Olympus OM-D is going to be strong and it will make a strong push. It could outsell both and that would not surprise me.

I still think legacy K-mount support is more of a negative than a positive for this camera. If the K-01 is targeting emerging photographers, then chances are that group is not invested in K-mount. If Pentax only has a 4% market share then we know K-mount support is only relevant to 4% of the market at best. That is not a significant number when it comes to a decision like this.
02-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #269
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Simple question.
Just how many Pentax users here lauding the virtues of Fuji X-Pro 1 and the Olympus OM-D (when it shows up) will actually walk the talk and fork out the money to get one... nah, just as I expected... not a lot.
Talk is cheap when you aren't prepared to shell out $1700 (body only) for the Fuji.
I won't consider the OM-D, because I need high ISO performance but I put in my pre-order for the XPro-1 right after the K-01 official announcment. Already let the wife know to expect a slug on the bank statement. I was leaning that direction anyway, and I'm on an upgrade cycle, so money to spend. Might end up with the NEX7. But the K-01, as massively cheaper as it would be for me, isn't even on my radar. It has zero attraction outside of price. I don't care about how it looks, cameras are tools, and I could care less how a chisel looks. It's just aimed so irrationally low, it's kind of insulting.

And ultimately, it doesn't matter how many people here are going to order it. As someone pointed out earlier, Pentax users are an extremely niche market. The question is how many people will it attract to K-mount?
Photos composed with a rear LCD
It really isn't hard. If you haven't given it a chance, I suggest you do. It is, in many ways, liberating.
I don't think anyone's arguing that rear LCD composition is impossible, just not always the best answer, and it's nice to have the option.

If I'd wanted a flashlight I'd have brought my own. In many circumstances, it's nice (and nice to those around you) to be able to be more unobtrusive. But maybe unobtrusive is too 'retro'.

And this crappy picture was actually composed on an LCD, overhead and tilted and swiveled so I and the bartender were the only ones who could see it. If you going to say that size and bulk don't matter, and that an LCD is perfectly fine as the only viewfinder, then explain why the least flexible LCD arrangement makes sense.
02-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #270
Veteran Member

The K01 is a very good intro-level camera. It will have excellent IQ. It will take a large number of lenses without an adapter. Hopefully it will sell.

For the people that hang out in this forum it will not be a camera for them. I know it is not a camera I will like. Just not enough diret user controls.

The Fuji looks to be a real good camera. The times I have handled the X100 I really liked the optical/digital hydrid viewfinder. Currently there is not enough native lens selection for me to pick this camera for my mirrorless option. Plus it is so expensive. Plus it is not really much smaller than my K-5. It is going after the Leica buyer.

The Olympus OM-D looks to be the camera for me if I want a smaller camera. The high iso might not be as good. I will have to wait until test results come back. It appears to be a good bit smaller than the Fuji and the K-5. I guess this is mainly due to the smaller sensor being used. The native lens selection is getting to be very good Plus the camera is sealed so it will make a good caving camera.

Still I have the feeling there will be a really nice K-5 replacement/upgrade coming our way by the end of the year. The Pentax R&D person hinted at smaller camera bodies and better viewfinders. If I am guessing the K-5 replacement/upgrade will have a Sony 24mp sensor in it and the viewfinder will be a hydbrid optical/digital viewfinder using either the Pentax patent or the Samsun transparent OLED.

So since I own two K-5's and a K-7 I am in no rush to go out and get a new camera. By the time I get to read the reviews of the Pro X1 and the OM-D and those two cameras are in the hands of actual users I will be reading rumors about the upcoming K-5 replacement.

Still if I was picking between the K-01, Pro X 1 and the OM-D right now I will pick the OM-D.

Dave