Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #286
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dont think the K1 is useless in the slightest ! I see it for what it is though.... a simple compact camera.
Its designed for fashion concious point n shooters, full stop ! I think it was a mistake to put in such a high quality sensor for the target its intended for.
Then again.... its some thing to boast about down the pub ! So maybe a good selling point.
i think anyone paying that much money for a camera that doesnt even have even have at least an EVF is totaly bonkers, but then its hard to put a price
on fashion. The truth is... People will pay hundreds these days for a pair of trainers with the right name on them.
If marketed correctly, it will do well. If not, It wont.... Simples

02-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
I dont think the K1 is useless in the slightest ! I see it for what it is though.... a simple compact camera.
Its designed for fashion concious point n shooters, full stop ! I think it was a mistake to put in such a high quality sensor for the target its intended for.
Then again.... its some thing to boast about down the pub ! So maybe a good selling point.
i think anyone paying that much money for a camera that doesnt even have even have at least an EVF is totaly bonkers, but then its hard to put a price
on fashion. The truth is... People will pay hundreds these days for a pair of trainers with the right name on them.
If marketed correctly, it will do well. If not, It wont.... Simples
I think there is a certain degree of truth to that. It is sort of like when Audi TT first came out. Some loved it, others hated it, and it really sucked as a sports car.

But enough people bought it, just for the looks.

What the hell, I will buy one for the hell of it if they came out with an orange version.
02-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #288
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I think there is a certain degree of truth to that. It is sort of like when Audi TT first came out. Some loved it, others hated it, and it really sucked as a sports car.

But enough people bought it, just for the looks.

What the hell, I will buy one for the hell of it if they came out with an orange version.
What ? Audi TT or K1 lol
The new TT is pretty damm good now though
02-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #289
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What ? Audi TT or K1 lol

Looks pretty good to me

02-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #290
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote

Looks pretty good to me
Yup ! thats wicked,,, mmmmmmm I think Pentax should Kiddnap Audis Designer lol
02-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When the original TT came out in the 90's, the reaction was very mixed. The new version I am not very fond of. See, it is just a matter of preference.
02-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #292
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What ? Audi TT or K1 lol
I meant K-01, not TT. I already got one of those, the original version that is.

02-05-2012, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #293
Veteran Member

speaking as a photographer, etc.

Many people here seem unaware that Fuji has an excellent photographic legacy. As does Olympus. (As does Pentax, but you know that.) Those slagging any of these companies are simply ignorant.

Considering their mirrorless offerings, only Fuji and Olympus are extending this legacy by producing tools for photographers. (It has taken Olympus a good long while since the inception of MFT, mind you!)

Pentax have instead decided to release a toy camera, the Q, and a camera for designers, the K-01. (Those aren't my labels, but come from Pentax.) Maybe they will do well in the market. I don't care. Similarly, I don't care how well the Pentax point and shoot cameras do against Fuji. Rather, I care about photographic excellence, and rather hope the K-5 is not the last word from Pentax on that subject.

Anyone caught up in this rambling, incomprehensible thread who might actually be interested in photography should be reading up on the X-Pro and OM-D instead of slamming Fuji and Olympus for actually caring to advance this fine art.
02-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #294
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
You're right that emerging photographers are probably not invested in K-mount, but I would hope that they would be comforted by the fact that the K-01 that they are thinking of buying can be used with dozens of current lens models and millions of used lenses.
As you likely know from reading the same statistics I have read, most entry-level users never buy another lens to accompany the one that came with their camera. That may indeed be changing with all these compact systems cameras. I am sure the manufacturers hope so! But nonetheless, a lens system appeals to people more invested in photography.

This fact aside, the MFT consortium has a lens for every need and hardly suffers in comparison with Pentax. I realise you, John, should know this. But still you are implying otherwise.

Everyone seen this shot of the OM-D line-up (courtesy 43rumours.com)? Think this isn't a "system"? Think that camera enthusiasts will be turned off by the lack of choice? Think again.
Attached Images

02-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #295
Veteran Member

By the way, the new E-M5 (apparently) focuses faster than any other camera, exposes better than any Pentax (based on the fact that all Olympus MFT cameras do), does not have a crippled mount (yes, even with an adapter using Pentax lenses), has IBIS, ISO 25,600, tilting touch screen, and so on.

Some of you may be interested to know that the new 60/2.8 macro, grip, FT adapter and flash are all weather sealed!

I wonder how long we will wait for Pentax to equal that?
02-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #296
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Think this isn't a "system"?
Look at all those huge cameras, lenses, flashes and accessories. Don't they understand the point of mirrorless is to be compact?
02-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #297
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
As you likely know from reading the same statistics I have read, most entry-level users never buy another lens to accompany the one that came with their camera. That may indeed be changing with all these compact systems cameras. I am sure the manufacturers hope so! But nonetheless, a lens system appeals to people more invested in photography.

This fact aside, the MFT consortium has a lens for every need and hardly suffers in comparison with Pentax. I realise you, John, should know this. But still you are implying otherwise.

Everyone seen this shot of the OM-D line-up (courtesy 43rumours.com)? Think this isn't a "system"? Think that camera enthusiasts will be turned off by the lack of choice? Think again.
Where is this coming from, Robin? The statement of mine that you quoted made absolutely no mention of Micro Four-Thirds; it in fact could have described any number of other "systems" - Nikon 1, Pentax Q, Samsung NX, Fuji X Pro 1, and even Sony NEX, and those were the systems that I had in mind when I made that statement. As an owner of 5 quality Micro Four-Thirds lenses, I think that the system's only glaring weakness at this point is the lack of fast zooms and longer primes, and Olympus and Panasonic seem to be working to fill those gaps. The implications are all yours.

BTW, nice picture. I'm tired of the retro look (Fuji and now the new Oly), but I'm often on the wrong side of popular.
02-05-2012, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #298
Veteran Member

I might have to change to Olympus, why Pentax does not listen to their fans and Olympus does? seeing that OM-D its my dream camera
02-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #299
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Where is this coming from, Robin? The statement of mine that you quoted made absolutely no mention of Micro Four-Thirds; it in fact could have described any number of other "systems" - Nikon 1, Pentax Q, Samsung NX, Fuji X Pro 1, and even Sony NEX, and those were the systems that I had in mind when I made that statement.
John, you made a general statement. How could I have known that some systems were "in your mind" at the time and should be included in that general statement, while others were not? I was only pointing out that you could be (unknowingly) misleading those readers who do not know the MFT system.

I meant no personal slight.

Last edited by rparmar; 02-05-2012 at 06:37 PM.
02-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #300
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Look at all those huge cameras, lenses, flashes and accessories. Don't they understand the point of mirrorless is to be compact?
They are not huge, that's just it. All of this is smaller than it looks. And if you want tiny, pick up a E-PM1 or E-PL3!

Pentax, also known for small lenses of high quality, could well have gone the same route. But instead of offering the K-mount as a value-added extra, they've constrained the entire system to it.