Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #391
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't think the new OM-D is designed to be a professionals only camera. It has its place and with Voigtlander announcing new lenses for M4/3 like the 17mm F/.95 and the 25mm f/.95 it is definitely attracting a lot of higher end users. Tamron and Sigma are announcing lenses for it.

Voightlander has ended support for K-mount.
Don't see the new 24-70 f/2.8 Tamron being offered in K-mount.

I think the OM-D will sell very well, because demand for a higher end M4/3 body has been growing for a while now. Unlike Pentax (K-mount) M4/3 has been growing strong for the last few years and there is good demand for the product.

If I bought something like this it would be to supplement my other cameras, not to replace them. BSI will make it into 4/3 sensors and when it does you will get K-5 IQ from a 4/3 size sensor.

02-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #392
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First weekend for Pre-orders:

Fuji #2 for compact system camera (#52 overall)
K-01 #56 for Compact system cameras (#2,434 overall)

Both cameras have fallen a little. Fuji was #1 and Pentax peaked at #23. I expect a lull until after CP+ when we will see some people make decisions on where to spend money.
02-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #393
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I don't think the new OM-D is designed to be a professionals only camera. It has its place and with Voigtlander announcing new lenses for M4/3 like the 17mm F/.95 and the 25mm f/.95 it is definitely attracting a lot of higher end users. Tamron and Sigma are announcing lenses for it.

Voightlander has ended support for K-mount.
Don't see the new 24-70 f/2.8 Tamron being offered in K-mount.

I think the OM-D will sell very well, because demand for a higher end M4/3 body has been growing for a while now. Unlike Pentax (K-mount) M4/3 has been growing strong for the last few years and there is good demand for the product.

If I bought something like this it would be to supplement my other cameras, not to replace them. BSI will make it into 4/3 sensors and when it does you will get K-5 IQ from a 4/3 size sensor.
Since the OM-d no longer has an optical veiwfinder its doubtful anyone will regard it as a pro camera.
I certainly wouldnt. I loved the E5 too, but Olympus made it clear that it would be the last SLR otherwise I would be using the E5 now.
I certainly think it will be regarded as a high end camera though, even without an OVF.
I think its yet another sad end to yet another company once regarded as one of the big five.
I dont think you will see the new 24-70 tammron in pentax fit since its a VC version.
02-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #394
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Since the OM-d no longer has an optical veiwfinder its doubtful anyone will regard it as a pro camera.
I certainly wouldnt. I loved the E5 too, but Olympus made it clear that it would be the last SLR otherwise I would be using the E5 now.
I certainly think it will be regarded as a high end camera though, even without an OVF.
I think its yet another sad end to yet another company once regarded as one of the big five.
I dont think you will see the new 24-70 tammron in pentax fit since its a VC version.
An E-5 replacement is actually rumored to be in the plans. Might not be dead just yet. They still need to come up with a sensor for it.

There are several technologies on the edge of becoming a reality that could push 4/3 IQ up past the level of current APS-C sensors. BSI and organic sensors both have a lot of potential.

Pentax has lost a lot of 3rd party support over the years. Tamron makes good products for the price. Their 28-75 and 70-200 are both excellent values.

02-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #395
Veteran Member

An E-5 replacement is actually rumored to be in the plans. Might not be dead just yet. They still need to come up with a sensor for it.

There are several technologies on the edge of becoming a reality that could push 4/3 IQ up past the level of current APS-C sensors. BSI and organic sensors both have a lot of potential.

Pentax has lost a lot of 3rd party support over the years. Tamron makes good products for the price. Their 28-75 and 70-200 are both excellent values.
The IQ of the E5 is more than enough for my work, so that doesnt really concern me. It will allow huge enlargements.
People are too hung up on so called IQ. For most its some thing you see when blown up to 100%. Who looks at pics like that lol.
I do hope your right though. I will be wishing I bought the E5 is the only problem lol
As for the Tamron.... yes I know, I have the 17-50 on the K5. What i was saying though that the new Tamron is a VC version !
The VC version of the 17-50 is not as good opticaly .... strange but true lol
02-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #396
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
The IQ of the E5 is more than enough for my work, so that doesnt really concern me. It will allow huge enlargements.
People are too hung up on so called IQ. For most its some thing you see when blown up to 100%. Who looks at pics like that lol.
I do hope your right though. I will be wishing I bought the E5 is the only problem lol
As for the Tamron.... yes I know, I have the 17-50 on the K5. What i was saying though that the new Tamron is a VC version !
The VC version of the 17-50 is not as good opticaly .... strange but true lol
I sold the E-3 when I realized Olympus wasn't going to announce any more fast primes for the system. If Olympus has announced a 45mm f/1.8, and a 75mm f/1.8 (like they did for M4/3) SHG I would probably be shooting with an E-5 right now. Build quality and operation was very good. I only had the 14-35 and 35-100 as I was waiting for primes.

One reason I am so critical of Pentax and their new road map is the lack of the 90mm F/1.4 and the 135mm f/1.8. There is not a single fast prime on the Pentax road map. More zooms to cover the already cluttered middle range. Pretty much leaving the 85-200mm void of any fast glass. I would take my Fuji XP1 money and buy a DFA* 135mm F/1.8 today, but I guess it goes to Fuji.
02-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #397
Veteran Member

I sold the E-3 when I realized Olympus wasn't going to announce any more fast primes for the system. If Olympus has announced a 45mm f/1.8, and a 75mm f/1.8 (like they did for M4/3) SHG I would probably be shooting with an E-5 right now. Build quality and operation was very good. I only had the 14-35 and 35-100 as I was waiting for primes.

One reason I am so critical of Pentax and their new road map is the lack of the 90mm F/1.4 and the 135mm f/1.8. There is not a single fast prime on the Pentax road map. More zooms to cover the already cluttered middle range. Pretty much leaving the 85-200mm void of any fast glass. I would take my Fuji XP1 money and buy a DFA* 135mm F/1.8 today, but I guess it goes to Fuji.
I must admit... the Fuji has me licking my lips too.
I used to use the bronica 645 RF with its 3 lenses and little flash. I need to see what that OVF opperates and feels like though.

02-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #398
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm excited about all three cameras, but obviously can't afford to buy each... I'll be lucky to afford one of them LOL! But being I'm a Pentax and Olympus shooter already, with lenses for each already, I'll be taking long hard looks at both. The K-01 turns me on for video, and as an alternative to my K-5. The Olympus could replace my EPM1, depending on it's size, and could be a nice sensor upgrade.

Oh, but the Fuji... *drool*
Can I not just win the lottery already... please? LOL
02-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #399
Banned

Photos: Albums
and with Voigtlander announcing new lenses for M4/3 like the 17mm F/.95
What? When? Where?

If they build that and a 42/0.95, they would provide an amazing trio of lenses with the 25/0.95.
02-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #400
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
What? When? Where?

If they build that and a 42/0.95, they would provide an amazing trio of lenses with the 25/0.95.
43 Rumors | Blog | HOT! Voigtländer announces the new (amazing!) 17.5mm f/0.95 lens!
02-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #401
Veteran Member

Pretty sweet. Voightlanders are manual focus right? As the M4/3 improves might be picking one up a cheap EP body just to have access to that nice glass. Love the looks of that Panasonic Leica 25 f/1.4, too.
02-06-2012, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #402
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Pretty sweet. Voightlanders are manual focus right? As the M4/3 improves might be picking one up a cheap EP body just to have access to that nice glass. Love the looks of that Panasonic Leica 25 f/1.4, too.
Yes, it is MF. I don't think people realize that MF with a good EVF is actually very easy compared to looking through an OVF on most APS-C cameras. I used the Pentax O-ME53 MAGNIFYING EYEPIECE on my K-5 and while it helps for MF it is still not as good a a FF or a good EVF for MF.
02-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #403
Banned

Photos: Albums
You just made my day!
02-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, it is MF. I don't think people realize that MF with a good EVF is actually very easy compared to looking through an OVF on most APS-C cameras. I used the Pentax O-ME53 MAGNIFYING EYEPIECE on my K-5 and while it helps for MF it is still not as good a a FF or a good EVF for MF.
I would think that manual focusing would be a royal pain in the ass without EVF or OVF, the way k-01 is set up. I cannot manual focus in live view mode. Not steady enough for me.
02-07-2012, 04:08 AM   #405
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
By the way, for those who talked about how "huge" the Olympus is, read this:
The Olympus E-M5 from every angle

Smaller than the GH2.