Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #451
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Comparing prime lenses with zooms will always help to prove ... something or another.
I don't use zooms. Never.

02-09-2012, 02:50 AM   #452
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't use zooms. Never.
Then why are you looking at a NEX-7 with a zoom lens? They have a 16/2.8 pancake too.
02-09-2012, 04:33 AM   #453
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the K-x is a good comparison. Do you know if it sold as much as the X100? That was a certified hit for Fuji too - and it couldn't use a single legacy lens! I know several Canon users that got one. I don't know a single one that got a K-x - or any Pentax camera at all. I'll let you know as soon as I find one. You'll laugh, but the only Pentax product that I've seen recommended by a non Pentax user was ... <drum roll> ... the Q! You know, the camera with the worst IQ on the MILC market - the mistake that Pentax should never have made. I think the 645D got mentioned once too.

I always recommended the K10D or the K20D or the K-7 over the K-x, btw. All having less performant sensors, I know. If anything, the K-x has proved to me that a sensor alone cannot redeem a camera package. I actually think that the K-01 is probably a better offer than the K-x/K-r, as it at least offers a much better build (aluminum, right?) and gets rid of the clunky implementation of LiveView that required the mirror to go down and up before each shot.
Pentax kx certainly out sold the other Pentax models you have listed there K10/20/7. The Kx sold over 70,000 units in Japan alone, although I can't find world wide numbers, I am sure it sold more than the X100.

This was a camera with a quirky exterior and a cheap price and people really loved it (still do). Yes, I preferred the external controls on the K20/K7, but I sure wanted that Kx sensor.
02-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #454
ogl
Banned

Then why are you looking at a NEX-7 with a zoom lens? They have a 16/2.8 pancake too.
It's not me. It's not my comparision. I've just borrowed this photo. 16/2.8 should be compared with Pentax 16/2.8.

02-09-2012, 05:31 AM   #455
ogl
Banned

Not big on paper, but it looks not small in reality
02-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #456
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Pentax kx certainly out sold the other Pentax models you have listed there K10/20/7. The Kx sold over 70,000 units in Japan alone, although I can't find world wide numbers, I am sure it sold more than the X100.

This was a camera with a quirky exterior and a cheap price and people really loved it (still do). Yes, I preferred the external controls on the K20/K7, but I sure wanted that Kx sensor.
I agree completely, but the Kx size and the versatility of an AA powered camera also helped with me. For a longer, serious shoot with lots of controlled light, I may pull out the comfortable, solid K20d even over the K5 even today. However, the little Kx is still my favorite travel DSLR body. I haven't had any body that has fit that function as well since the MX. I had 10,000 actuations on it in 3-4 months, including the one in my avatar. The fact that for the (still reasonable) price of a K01, you got the Kx plus two lenses didn't hurt, either.
02-09-2012, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #457

QuoteOriginally posted by jarski Quote
K-01 looks ugly as others mentioned, I wont be buying. but its just a first model of whole new system.

What system is that? Please explain it to me. A system based on the large size DSLR lenses requiring a large camera,
but following the philosophy of a modern camera which doesn't require a large size.
I guess it must be a lot of empty space inside...

Sorry, but that system is heading absolutely nowhere

There is ZERO excitement about K01. It will not bring Pentax any new users. The only reason it's mentioned is the weird looking design.
Look how excited people are about the new Olympus. And Fuji. And anything NEX. Are you seeing ANY interest in K01 outside this forum?

02-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #458
Veteran Member

Well.
Caught up with the thread.
Wow, and good grief ...
It is why I now have a Samsung nx ...
Cann't believe this is all happening. It is only 2 yrs since I retired my SP II. And entered camera space life.
How I love all those different options, what a world to explore. And I did. And am not yet done doing so. I have a secluded and by income growing budget to do so, it will not hurt the family. So, I happily buy and sell and explore. I so care about all the possibilities out there.

How I have come to love the m43 lousy quality and stupid 2x crop factor. Brilliant!!! Oh, if you like to play, play with it you can. Whatever do you mean by no dof control ... great dof control, easily more in dof and flashy accurate af, just wave your pen and hell, a great pic is there. No splashin my eye in a vf, a simple guessing of the screen et voila. Keep it high, slam it down, wave it left and right and there you go. Colors tumble over me and heaps of pics like waterfalls. I am in paradise.
Oh well. For a bit more "quality" - whoever is going to define the idea quality, what is that really. What is that for a mysterious symbolic idea and what anyhow is an idea, can I touch it and live it, does it make me happy and run through life with a smile. I have nx. Cheap aps with lots of thrills and falteries - grin. And if I try to be up speed I have K-5, however unfortunate it doesn't want to focus, well, easily. But then again. What is life without battle.
Is boxy K-01 going to improbe on that? Ah.

Isn't Leica going to do something too? Well, I have experience with Zeiss lenses and some Leica through family and I prefer Zeiss rendering. Maybe I should hunt Sony down.

And sell everthing and return to SP II film and dark room.

Gosh. No. I think I should try the Fuji too.

Time to go shopping for food, We shouldn't go hungry tonight, should we.
02-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #459
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
What system is that? Please explain it to me. A system based on the large size DSLR lenses requiring a large camera,
but following the philosophy of a modern camera which doesn't require a large size.

There is ZERO excitement about K01. It will not bring Pentax any new users. The only reason it's mentioned is the weird looking design.
Look how excited people are about the new Olympus. And Fuji. And anything NEX. Are you seeing ANY interest in K01 outside this forum?
Rather conservative and pessimistic opinion...
Yes. I see interest outside this forum. Open your eyes wider...
02-09-2012, 06:15 AM   #460

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Rather conservative and pessimistic opinion...
Yes. I see interest outside this forum. Open your eyes wider...
Really? Point me to any discussion where users of other brand are excited to switch to Pentax because of K01.
Please, any forum, anywhere.
02-09-2012, 06:19 AM   #461
Veteran Member

Are you seeing ANY interest in K01 outside this forum?
Thing is the forum (any forum actually) only represents a small vocal percentage of camera users in the real world. Certainly it's a very vocal bunch but it's a skewed perspective on the market populated largely by enthusiasts who generally buy higher end. the broad market is represented better buy the lower end which generally is disdained by the forums as missing this or that. I have seen some interest in the K-01 and in fact there are forum members who have pre-ordered one. Fuji and Oly have done much better on pre-orders (from the same people who are on forums) Real world buyers aren't early adopters and buy in B&M frequently on impulse as much as anything else. K-01 success (or failure) can't be determined until realistically next year at this time when it will have been on the market for a Vacation season and a christmas season.
That of course won't stop people here from determining it to be a failure before anyone has even had a final production model in their hands
The only valid thing that can be said is this is not the camera for enthusiasts. That camera is probably not available to us until fall after photokina
So if you can't wait buy a Fuji or an oly (or a nex 7 if they are ever available)
OR wait and use what you have which has served you well so far I'm sure and buy a lens to satisfy your gear (the lens is a better investment than another body in any case)
If this year Ricoh doesn't announce an impressive lineup and show they have a direction then bail if it isn't for you. Really these are all just cameras. tools for taking pictures. Ergonomics and design tastes aside pretty much any camera out there is a capable tool. If the one you want isn't available from one company then look at another (Canon users and Nikon users have to look elsewhere for an enthusiast MILC as well, at least we have one that has a class leading sensor that will use our existing lenses something 80% of the market doesn't have)
02-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #462
Veteran Member

Really? Point me to any discussion where users of other brand are excited to switch to Pentax because of K01.
Please, any forum, anywhere.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/174180-opinions-k-01-ou...ml#post1812509

You're welcome
02-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #463
Veteran Member

I think if pentax put this sensor in a tiny fixed lens camera with a 21mm and a simple OVF It would sell like bloody hotcakes !
A camera that will fit in your pocket capable of pro quality images.
We used to have such things with 35mm film.
No excuses for ever not having a camera with you.
Other than this, Ive got zero intrest in cameras like the K1
I personly think the camera will sell well though, to the fashion brigade.
its biggest selling point will be.... when your mates have finnished bragging about all the bells and whistles of there new toy,
Yerrrrrr but mine still takes better pics....
02-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #464
Pentaxian

Honestly, I haven't seen any excitement about any of these cameras out in the real world. Not even among the folks in my camera club. Some folks may have read about them in a magazine, but if they have, I haven't heard them talking about them.
02-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #465
Banned

BS, the K-01 is lightyears better than the K-5 for video and for only $749 instead of $1,199.95 (B&H Feb 9 2012 ) . It's now 2012 and video is not a fad anymore.