Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
05-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #736
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
That may well be true, but I don't choose cameras based on sales figures or the number of awards it has won. The K-01 is a heck of a bargain - comparablel IQ of the other two at a fraction of the cost. If I was building a three prime system today and not shooting action, I'd seriously consider the K-01.

What Blog is This?: 3 Primes in the New World
The image quality of the K-01 is excellent and with Pentax selling them at below cost they are indeed a great value. I don't chose to buy cameras based on sales figures either, but sales figures are based on what cameras people chose to buy.

Most people looking for a mirrorless system camera didn't seriously consider the Pentax K-01. I'm sure the K-01 is a much better camera than I think it is. I have never given it enough consideration to even read a review of the camera.

If I were building a 3 prime system I would, and probably will go with Fuji. The 14mm and 35mm are both excellent and the the 56mm F/1.2 is a very exciting lens. I will wait for the XP2 since I am not in a hurry and I'm still not happy with the XP1 AF even after the firmware improvements.

05-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #737
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been fortunate to have started my photography hobby with a Fuji X-S1 bridge camera which I believe is very similar to Pentax's K-01 in how their companies marketed or lack thereof their advantages. I moved from the Fuji to a K-5 and have been pretty happy since then only because I had the time to do the research. I moved only because the Fuji couldn't handle some of the photos I was taking or so I thought! It just shows you that the more time you spend on your camera and photo software learning how to use all the different functions you can get really good photos with whatever you have.

The point I'm trying to make is that I think Fuji was trying to extend their X100 line and bringing along the X-Pro and now their X-E1 and the X-S1 I think got lost in the mix in terms of where the product sat in its product line and marketing funds weren't put towards this product. Here's this fairly new bridge camera which has an enthusiastic following in the UK but elsewhere not so much.

I've used the X-S1, K-5, and K-01 and funny thing is that I forgot my K-5 one day and have the Fuji sitting in my trunk and decided to take some photos and I noticed right away when processing that I almost didn't have to do any processing with the Fuji photos and the colours were amazing.

I have noticed in my city that a lot more people are using Fuji cameras, much more so than Pentax and I think that's a function of how people are buying electronic products, they want them to work well, be simplistic, and look good. ie. iPhone?
05-22-2013, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #738
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
That may well be true, but I don't choose cameras based on sales figures or the number of awards it has won. The K-01 is a heck of a bargain - comparablel IQ of the other two at a fraction of the cost. If I was building a three prime system today and not shooting action, I'd seriously consider the K-01.

What Blog is This?: 3 Primes in the New World
The fun part in this is that with the K-01 Pentax can be in the list, because no new lenses had to be made at the start. If Pentax would have come with a new mount, aps-c K-mirrorless mount then the system would have gone down the drain with any hope off getting writ off all left stock.

The K-01 is still a fantastic camera and Pentax should work on making a second version off it in a different way.
05-22-2013, 04:08 AM   #739
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I said I would come back to this in a year to see who actually did better. Fuji, Olympus or Pentax.

Which camera has held it pricing better over the last year? Which camera won the most awards? Which camera made the biggest impact?

Olympus is by far the most refined of the 3, but Olympus has had 3 generations of mirrorless cameras prior to releasing the OM-D.
Fuji was quirky, but this is the first ILC for Fuji in 5 years. Fuji cranked out firmware updates every 2-3 months and made a lot of improvements.
Pentax is practically giving the K-01 away........
I'd think Fuji will make bigger in-roads in the year or two for the enthusiast market.
But not that big a growth on layman market.
Layman don't know too much about Fuji cameras other than Instax and film.
They won't fork out the high cash for the camera and even less so for the good primes.

Layman market, I think Oly has the ground work laid out over the previous few years, cumulating in the success of the OMD (to be seen and heard of).
At least this is my expectation in Asia, where I see good pick up rate of m4/3 and NEX due to preference for small cameras , city lifestyle (not all ppl drive so have to carry the cameras about), fashion influence.

Pentax will unfortunately make very little progress.
K01 was sold for a song by a local chain electronics store (about US$160 camera only) recently. (1-2wks only)
But that was to clear stock (sort of like a 'good riddance' sale)
If K01 was consistently sold off at such low prices for half a year, then maybe it would have made significant penetration into the consumer/layman mind.
But this sort of short span clear off of stock won't make much impact.
Ppl just know too little about Pentax.
Even if they made the best MILC tomorrow, that can match a D800 in every way, take up rate will still be very slow.
Its going to be a few years of success and marketing before Pentax can manage to climb back to significance.

I'd certainly hope Pentax has learned from the K01.
Its not a bad camera at all, but poorly marketed, polarizing design, poor release price, lacking a few enthusiast preferences (eg. EVF, 1fps RAW??), too late firmware update to improve the AF.
Hopefully we will see a better MILC in the near future.

In fact I'm pretty sure they will come up with a better one be it a GXR+FF module, GXR+16mp AA-less or some sort of new K-mount MILC.
Ricoh/Pentax has shown that they can crack the CDAF speed nut and have a good EVF (GXR) as well as sensor (new GR, K30; K5IIs)

02-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #740
Forum Member

I am that old fogie, that waited years to find the right pentax body for my extensive pentax manual lenses, from a 15mm k-mount, to a 300mmA*. Why did I wait, and not get a second hand K-5? Versatiliy, and focus peaking, combined with the best video section pentax has come out with. After years of looking through the bright viwfinders of LX's, I did not find the viwfinders on the current digital cameras so compelling,that they could not be sacrificed. I am used to focus peaking from the Beta-Cam, the broadcast standard, pre-digital. Basicaly a very small black and white LCD magnified through an eye piece, with contrast, and focus peaking ajustments to healp with the only option for motion picture cameras, manual -focus. The K-01 while still, a pain to go totally manual with, unlike the cannon.It is at least possible,and at least has a limited but profesional quality video section, wile still taking supurb stills, as the K-5. If it were not for this camera, I may have sold the store and went to cannon,whos users use manual glass from every maker, exept pentax, becouse the lenses go to deep in the body. This is an incentive for pentax, an acidental proprietory lens system, that forced me to stay with a pentax body! Now all that great glass hass been given a new life, and I do not miss the viewfinder, its liberating, to not have to get contacts to shoot. The focusing ring, are not good on the new lenses, an important feature for video, as is an apature ring, so as to always have the same DOF, throughout. Some hollywood DP,s, keep the same apature stop, even when they change lenses. I cant wait for the K-02 with weather sealing, amd a fully manual function. When I bought a card, at Rits camera, I took a look at the 35mm DA lens, and I am sorry, but it feels cheap, and not professional like my 35mm m- F2. It does not even cover the whole area of the 35mm frame, so forget about the advantage of using just the sweet spot in the middle of the lens, like a ff lens does. When you can take a meter reading, then set the apature, and shutter speed to exactly what combo you want- easily, it will be a no brainner for old school, and beginers alike, that are taught, and are used to, the do it all before you take the picture, not after approach. This aproach is still taught in photography class. The rest is nice, and cool, and I see advantages to some of the advances, like floating ASA, but how about the basics.

Last edited by valarie; 02-04-2014 at 01:42 PM.
02-04-2014, 01:24 PM   #741
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by valarie Quote
When I bought a card, at Rits camera, I took a look at the 35mm DA lens, and I am sorry, but it feels cheap, and not professional like my 35mm m- F2. It does not even cover the whole area of the 35mm frame, so forget about the advantage of using just the sweet spot in the middle of the lens, like a ff lens does.
Just one correction - the DA 35 F2.4 lens is the same optical formula as the FA 35mm F2 lens, if I am correct. It performs exactly the same as the FA lens, with the exception of being automatically closed half a stop.
02-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #742
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Just one correction - the DA 35 F2.4 lens is the same optical formula as the FA 35mm F2 lens, if I am correct. It performs exactly the same as the FA lens, with the exception of being automatically closed half a stop.
I do not dispute it, just telling what the sales team at Ritz told me. Despite the size of the sensor target area,reletive to the size of the lens target area, this is navel lint picking when you are deprived a good focusing ring, and apature ring. I love this camera, expecially with A lenses. When I first got the K-01,used, on pentax forums, I started with the only auto focus lens I have, a 100mm f-macro, very sharp, but pathetic the way it grinded in and out of focus. Even though the camera is set to manual focus, the lame focusing ring is locked still. A lot to learn. nparson13 wrote my guide book, with his K-01, Manual-Focus, and the green Button. Good luck to all you classic lens lovers, you will need it!

Last edited by valarie; 02-06-2014 at 10:27 PM.
02-07-2014, 09:20 PM - 2 Likes   #743
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For what it's worth, with the help of both a Fuji XE1 and Pentax K-01 (and K5), my photography in the last year went from being a serious hobby/obsession to something I get recognized for and paid to do.

I had two photos accepted into the Museum of the City of New York. One taken with the Fuji, one with the K5.

And I started shooting architectural work to build a business... I bought the K-01 as a backup (because who wouldn't at below $300), and it ended up becoming one of my primary still-shot cameras... which seems insane, but true. And now I'm shooting for several clients regularly and one has me on a weekly retainer.

I honestly don't think equipment makes the photographer (or the photograph), but if you're happy with what you shoot with, it does make a difference. I love the Fuji XE1... and as odd as the K-01 is, I find it to be an outstanding tripod camera.
02-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #744
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
For what it's worth, with the help of both a Fuji XE1 and Pentax K-01 (and K5), my photography in the last year went from being a serious hobby/obsession to something I get recognized for and paid to do.

I had two photos accepted into the Museum of the City of New York. One taken with the Fuji, one with the K5.

And I started shooting architectural work to build a business... I bought the K-01 as a backup (because who wouldn't at below $300), and it ended up becoming one of my primary still-shot cameras... which seems insane, but true. And now I'm shooting for several clients regularly and one has me on a weekly retainer.

I honestly don't think equipment makes the photographer (or the photograph), but if you're happy with what you shoot with, it does make a difference. I love the Fuji XE1... and as odd as the K-01 is, I find it to be an outstanding tripod camera.

Things that make you happy also make you perform to your best options......

For me that is the yellow brick and my Silverlings.
03-07-2014, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #745

I had lost my passion for photography years ago. The purchase of a K01 reignited that passion. I am now shooting medium format film and developing it myself. I still take most of my shots with the K01, but it also serves as a meter for my Ricoh Diacord G. I am also playing around with Polaroid cameras, using expired Polaroid, Impossible Project, and Fuji films.

Kind of ironic that Ricoh made my film camera in the '50s, and owns Pentax now. A modern Pentax inspired my purchase of a vintage Ricoh. Talk about unintended consequences.
06-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #746
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax K-01 vs Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Olympus OM-D

Two years later. Which as been been the biggest success? Which has had the biggest impact on the market?
06-07-2014, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #747
Veteran Member

Two years later. Which as been been the biggest success? Which has had the biggest impact on the market?
K-01 for me, by a mile. The other cameras don't support AF with my DA and FA Limiteds and would have been much more expensive to build a kit for.

"Impact on the market" may make for an interesting discussion but has no material impact on my photos.

YMMV
06-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #748
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This ^^

But it won't change anything.
06-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #749
Veteran Member

On the market and not on any of us anecdotally? The OM-D, hands down.
06-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #750
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Put it like this, I think it is very easy. The Olympus is winning by far. I think some of the E-5 users wil go and buy this with the adapter to use their 150mm/f2 lens and other very nice lenses already in their camera bags. The Fuji is ground braking, even more the x100 was at PhotoKina and will sell not even 10 % of the numbers that x100 reached (actually no normal people bought that thing, just some photographic forum lunatics around the world) and is at the bottom. The K-01 sells out the Fuji by a big margin and won't even reach Olympus figures in its lifetime that Olympus will move in the first two months.
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
On the market and not on any of us anecdotally? The OM-D, hands down.
I think that there are no surptises. But to be honest Olympus did get it right in the second attempt with the OMD-M1 wich is a true replacement for a dslr.