Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's a failed analogy. It's the Scion Xb/Kia Soul/Nissan Qube. Boxy and nerdy are the new cool. The kids like the boxy designs now. This might be the thought - a bump up from cellphone cameras into something worth spending a bit of money on.

02-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Geoff H Quote
Volvo were very close to bankrupcy and were bailed by their government in 2010
Ford Motor Company owned Volvo Cars. Ford were close to bankrupcy, just as GM and Chrysler. Ford solď Volvo Cars. Now Volvo Cars is very profitable and increases marketshares. No goverment intervention at all. Just great cars, designed around you.
02-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

IMO, every Volvo I've owned has been more attractive than the K-01. This includes the 740, 850, V70 and XC90
02-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Geoff H Quote
Volvo were very close to bankrupcy and were bailed by their government in 2010
Not very surprising... With the exception of some of the Korean manufacturers, a couple of Germans and a few exotic brands I think most makes have been bailed out by governments

02-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mclarenman01 Quote
Not very surprising... With the exception of some of the Korean manufacturers, a couple of Germans and a few exotic brands I think most makes have been bailed out by governments
How much has McLaren borrowed to finance its F1 effort - EUR1.6Bbn at last reckoning? Are they next?

The Koreans (Daewoo, Hyundai/Kia) were bailed out in the 90's. At that time this collapse was predicted. There was 23% excess capacity globally - which has now been resolved.

Japan escaped unscathed.

VW/Porsche was a fun ride, wasn't it?

Subaru made a PROFIT throughout the crisis - only global car maker to do that. GM sold its interest in Subaru (32% of Fuji Heavy Industries) to Toyota for $1.1bbn, Desperation move, eh?

Ford never got a dime from the government - and they werre never close to insolvency. They de-levered just in time, and had a $32bbn cash horde. They invested in all the new car designs you see on the road now. The Volvo sale to Geely didn't even close until October 2010 - well after the crisis.

And if he considers Volvo a Swedish company any more he's been eating too much reindeer. Volvo is a Chinese company.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-03-2012 at 06:04 PM.
02-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If you do your homework you will find that Ford sold Volvo Cars to Geely Holding Ltd. No government bailout like the US government did for GM.
02-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zantaphia Quote
If you do your homework you will find that Ford sold Volvo Cars to Geely Holding Ltd. No government bailout like the US government did for GM.
Very interesting, also I didn't say that Volvo had been bailed out (Geoff H said that) I was just saying that it wouldn't suprise me if they had been.

Here in Australia we are constantly giving money to the auto industry. Its one of the Australian Labor Parties favorite ways to waste my taxes and buy themselves some votes.

So Volvo is owned by the Chinese now?

02-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Very interesting, also I didn't say that Volvo had been bailed out (Geoff H said that) I was just saying that it wouldn't suprise me if they had been.

Here in Australia we are constantly giving money to the auto industry. Its one of the Australian Labor Parties favorite ways to waste my taxes and buy themselves some votes.

So Volvo is owned by the Chinese now?
Yes. And that also means that Volvo has a new homemarket in China now. Imagine 30% marketshare in China... It's better to have an owner (Geely) that cares and invests, than an owner (Ford) that don't.
Compare Pentax owners Hoya and Ricoh? Wich do you think is best for Pentax?

Last edited by zantaphia; 02-04-2012 at 12:54 AM.
02-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I liked the "Volvo" remark in the video and clearly "boxiness" is the common attribute, however, I believe that the old, boxy Volvo design has what it takes to become a classic.

The K-01? Not so much. That's why I feel a "Volvo" comparison is ultimately not a good fit. It flatters the K-01 too much.
02-04-2012, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #25
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Either Love it or hate it.

02-04-2012, 03:02 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Did that quote make anyone else laugh?

[/url]
I did laugh actually. Considering I own a 1976 Volvo and a 2001 Saab, you'd think I'd find the K-01 attractive. To me it reminds me more of a 1986 Chevrolet Chevette.

Jason
02-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I liked the "Volvo" remark in the video and clearly "boxiness" is the common attribute, however, I believe that the old, boxy Volvo design has what it takes to become a classic.

The K-01? Not so much. That's why I feel a "Volvo" comparison is ultimately not a good fit. It flatters the K-01 too much.
Someone posted this elsewhere. Here it is again just for grins:

Volvo. Boxy, But Good. (Are you crazy?)
02-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
+1.

Couldn't agree more, though as I pointed out earlier, I might be a little biased as I've owned Volvo bodies a lot longer than Pentax bodies
02-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Volvo's are functional, safe cars. They're not sports cars or fashion items, though they have improved greatly over the box cars they had a decade or two ago.
You can say so I hope philbaum does not mind that I borrow his picture from this thread

Last edited by sterretje; 02-04-2012 at 12:09 PM.
02-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
You can say so I hope philbaum does not mind that I borrow his picture from this thread
You're welcome to borrow it. I've always had a good opinion of Volvos: real reputation for durability and functional design, such as higher ground clearance for more rugged terrain.

Phil