Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
IMO, every Volvo I've owned has been more attractive than the K-01. This includes the 740, 850, V70 and XC90
Even the 740? Ouch, now you're just getting cruel

02-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are WAY off...

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The style of Volvo my wife drove for 14 years - then my daughter, then my son . . . Not the actual car, but still . . . it weighed a few pounds more than the Suburban I was driving at the time.
Stop spreading lies and ********...do you work for the Republicans or something?

Suburban - 1992 BASE MODEL: 4634 lbs

More with all the options, larger motor, etc. Optioned out, well over 5,000 lbs.

Volvo 1992 4 door wagon: 3051 lbs fully loaded. That's 600 lbs LESS than a Honda Accord sedan.

Get a grip.

Cheers,
Cameron
02-06-2012, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep reading. Inside family joke, and I added the actual 1990 spec.s from Edmunds in a later reply.

A 1990 Accord EX Sedan (manual transmission, 4-cyl. engine only) weighed 2923 lb.
My wife's 2012 Honda Accord EX-L, which is now classified a "full-size" car, weighs 3593 lb.

And FFS lighten up. Are you Occupying something?

Cheers,
monochrome

Last edited by monochrome; 02-06-2012 at 11:04 AM.
02-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Even the 740? Ouch, now you're just getting cruel
I suppose the 1986 Volvo 740 was a close call

Actually, I never techincally owned the 740; that was passed down to me when I first got my driver's licence (in 1994). Aftetr that I bought a 3-year-old 1996 Volvo 850, which was replaced by a new 2003 V70 (needed a place for a 100lb/45kg dog). A couple years ago we added a 2-year-old 2007 XC90, which replaced a VW GTI which I somewhat regret trading in (but it wouldn't two car seats for the kids, nor the dog for that matter).

02-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Hrm, looking back in on a post I never got to finishing, I think one thing's for sure, whether you like Volvos or not, it seems most of us just aren't quite seeing the design comparison to the K-01.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Made me think if someone would ever say of my wife, "She's the Volvo of women." What would that mean?

We drove Volvo's for years and years. My son finally drove a 240 Wagon into the ground. Have you ever seen a 3 on the left side of an ODO?
Very nearly there, mine. Just a few thousand miles to go. Though it may take me a while to get there: I drive maybe ten miles a week on average, lately, so at this rate, it could be maybe four years before I see that three. Though hopefully I'll be a wee bit more active before that time elapses. For now I'm just rolling around town. If things pick up and I get a bit more solvent, I should be able to keep her going a long while. I'll upgrade the suspension a bit, with things from that 'turbo bricks' set: and then I'm sure she'll turn quite nicely for something her size. I was actually really struck by how much the Volvo fandom on the Net reminded me of the Pentax people here. Though I'm not going for massive horsepower out of this big ol' gal, I do like to turn, and I do have fond memories of my friend and I bombing around in his Mom's 740 turbo. (Mine, she's being kind of more of a 'More-sensible truck alternative' than a 'rather large passenger car.' )

I dunno who'd be the Volvo of women, but I've met some older ladies back North who run a lot better than I do at twice my age. But then again, I joke I must have built by Alfa Romeo. Still look pretty good, maybe a little rough, used to go really good, too, but now I spend more time in the shop than out of it.

QuoteQuote:
They have some DNA in common with an SV or Spotmatic. I frankly think they're very nice looking cars.
(They kept making em a while: I've got among the last of the rear-drive wagons, and really much the same as those they'd been making all along, just some refinements. (Probably about as boxy and minimalist as they get, really. Very much the same design in there as some of the early ones, which I suppose is like working on a Spottie or K-series. But that's a big reason I went there: mechanical simplicity, hopefully meaning I can do most of the maintenance myself. I've been over most of the systems by now: it's good design. Some of the newer models are really quite attractive, though.

(Not that I don't think this big ol' gal won't look pretty darn nice by the time I attend to some of the cosmetics and put some tint on some of this glass. She does need to provide shade, cause it's me, but that ought to have the side-effect of looking pretty posh by my standards. Sometimes I end up with pretty nice cars over time that kind of way. Bring em back from 'what I can obtain,' ....a little bit at a time and all.

QuoteQuote:
Now we drive Subaru's.

I don't know what that says but it not only made me laugh it made me proud of the camera.

I always thought the Subaru analogy fit Pentax pretty well: compact and outdoorsey, a bit different: with some scoot. I hope they stay with that for the most part. It seems we have a lot of like Subaru, Volvo, and Jeep drivers here, those of us not in trucks.
02-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Geoff H Quote
BBC NEWS | Business | Swedish car firms get bail-out

Just do a search for 'Volvo bailout'...

I never post such things without checking background first...
Ooops! My bad... Sorry for not doing my homework!

BR zantaphia
02-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is the Ozzie equivalent.

Name:  Pentax-K-01-love-it-hate-it.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  57.4 KBName:  Vegemite.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  22.5 KB

02-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #53
Veteran Member