Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"This is the Volvo of Camera Design"

Did that quote make anyone else laugh?

Video found at the bottom of this page:
Pentax K-01 Officially Announced - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Forum Member

Chris made me laugh behind the camera when he said that. Fortunately, it wasn't in the audio track.
02-02-2012, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I think it's a huge complement...

Volvo have excellent designers, the ergonomics of their interiors are second to none for instance. I like the look of them too, so I guess that's why I not only own a Volvo, but love the look of the K-01

Japanese & Korean cars on the other hand.....
02-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Volvo's are functional, safe cars. They're not sports cars or fashion items, though they have improved greatly over the box cars they had a decade or two ago.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Pentax K-01 Officially Announced - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
Made me think if someone would ever say of my wife, "She's the Volvo of women." What would that mean?

We drove Volvo's for years and years. My son finally drove a 240 Wagon into the ground. Have you ever seen a 3 on the left side of an ODO? They have some DNA in common with an SV or Spotmatic. I frankly think they're very nice looking cars.

Now we drive Subaru's.

I don't know what that says but it not only made me laugh it made me proud of the camera.

Thanks for doing the vid. This has been more exciting than I recall the the K-7 being, or my early months when we were still discussing manual lenses. Very good!

Last edited by monochrome; 02-02-2012 at 09:09 PM.
02-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I really like the new volvo designs but this obviously refers to the boxy things of yester year. And I tend to think the design of the camera looks ok but I can see some ergonomic issues after an hour or two of holding it!
What got me excited was the comment about the IQ being better than that of the K-5, with specific reference to low light performance and dynamicrange being improved upon! So lets hope the K-5 replacement goes above and beyond this benchmark again!
02-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Volvo has really taken big strides in the design department. This is not your college history professor's Volvo

02-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

The K-5 should be Jaguar

"Jaguar - For men who'd like hand-jobs from beautiful women they hardly know."

02-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So are we going to crash test the K-01 against other mirrorless?
02-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe not the Volvo of cars...more like the Skoda of cars. That is, if you mated a Skoda with a tank.
02-03-2012, 02:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Skoda make tanks... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_35(t)
02-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Nope, Volvos have viewfinders. They call'em windscreens.
02-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
Forum Member

Volvo were very close to bankrupcy and were bailed by their government in 2010
02-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Stuck in the 70's or something...

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
Chris made me laugh behind the camera when he said that. Fortunately, it wasn't in the audio track.
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I think it's a huge complement...

Volvo have excellent designers, the ergonomics of their interiors are second to none for instance. I like the look of them too, so I guess that's why I not only own a Volvo, but love the look of the K-01

Japanese & Korean cars on the other hand.....
My first Volvo 740 turbo lasted me 485,000 km on the original engine original turbo. My current 850 turbo has 230 horsepower, weighs 3,000 lb (light for a sedan that fits 5), has a huge trunk, leather, power everything, looks great, and goes like stink, as well as getting good gas mileage if you don't boot it. It is about to hit 200,000 trouble free kms. It looks great, IMHO, as does all of their newer cars. They ALWAYS have incredible brakes. They are rock solid stable at high speeds because of their incredible aerodynamics. They are also one of the safest cars on the road. Incredible ergonomics throughout the interior, everything is designed around the human body for comfort, have some of the best seats in the entire car industry (go sit in one), and they always have quirky and fantastic features that no one else thinks of, till everybody else copies them (they invented the 3 point seat belt, for instance). And styling wise, I love them, but if you don't, at least they are original, unlike a lot of (esp) Korean manufacturers who do NOTHING but knock-offs.

And the 'boxy' Volvo, the 140/240, had one of the longest production runs in the history of the automobile, from 1967 to 1994. Somebody must've been buying them.

If Pentax was to be compared to any car manufacturer, I would be glad that it's Volvo - their cars are as good if not better than the Germans, but at the price of the Japanese. Sounds like some Pentax glass I own.

My POS 'boxy' Volvo.

Hard to own another car once you've had one..same as my Pentax cameras.

And in case you've forgotten, 1995 - 96 - 97 - 98...

Have a look at 4:10:

Volvo dominated the BTCC, finally winning in the championship outright in 1998...it was only through bad luck and a few crashes that they didn't win more;

Cheers,
Cameron
02-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #15
Forum Member

I noticed this comment right away as I drive a Volvo C30. I don't think he has seen a Volvo in the last few years. They are not the same as the one Uncle Olaf used to drive. I get compliments on the styling of mine all the time.