Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Nice photo- they're getting there as far as retro goes, but if the next mirrorless looked like a K1000 clone I'm sure it would do even better!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Nice photo- they're getting there as far as retro goes, but if the next mirrorless looked like a K1000 clone I'm sure it would do even better!
I like my K-01 for what it is. It does grow on you (or maybe my brain is amending my opinion for its own comfort), but next time they should let people who know the Pentax culture and history design the visuals. All the reviews should start, "If they had done this the first time . . . ."

OTOH looking at the What's Inside thread I have no idea how they could have gotten all that stuff in a NEX body
03-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfred Quote
Just because you don’t like the styling, don’t assume that other Pentax owners share your view and, above all, don’t assume that the styling of the K-01 is totally alien to the Pentax tradition. Many Pentax aficionados will recognise the genuine Pentax DNA in the styling of the K-01. When I put my silver K-01 alongside my battered old SP500 from the 1970s, I can see where Marc Newson might have got some of his design cues from. The silver top and bottom plates, the black dials and the shape of the mount housing all recall the earlier camera. 40 years on, there’s an evident nod in the direction of the classic Spotmatic styling and you can’t get any more traditionally Pentax than that.
Well, OK. It does depend on what you compare it against. However, I honestly still don't see a real continuity of style between the two cameras pictured. Fundamentals such as the nature of the curves and overall shape just seem too different for more than a very weak connection, in my eyes. And it's amazing how disturbing the candy apple red button can be to the overall esthetic.
03-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Skymist Quote
Well, OK. It does depend on what you compare it against. However, I honestly still don't see a real continuity of style between the two cameras pictured. Fundamentals such as the nature of the curves and overall shape just seem too different for more than a very weak connection, in my eyes. And it's amazing how disturbing the candy apple red button can be to the overall esthetic.
I have and have had all kinds of classic Pentax cameras, starting with the K, SV and H1a: K's and M's; and ending with the LX. To my eye there are nods to the past all over the camera but I like the styling for itself. It looks right to my eye and it feels right in my hands. These are not impressions I have developed over time - I knew the moment I saw the release I wanted one and I ordered it a day later. Obviously I was struck by how much mass the camera has in the hand - and how right that feels.

As far as the button colors, the hue and saturation of that image are a tad off. The Green Button is clearly a clever design reference to "Green Button" metering; the Red Button is both an elementary color wheel juxtaposition and a cue for the red light on a video camera. Especially on the Black version the tiny dots of color are an interesting touch. Color is becoming a Pentax brand marker and the reference is within the design brief in that regard. The quality of the materials is absolutely top line - aluminum buttons and dials, metal chassis and body, quality rubber skin all are Pentax references. I don't understand the rubber door other than that it fits the continuity of the body. Perhaps there wasn't a way to design a hard door covered in rubber mechanically into the interior. I don't have any problem latching the rubber door.

My only serious design objection is the disharmonious use of mismatched referential fonts. The modern numerals (found on the D-FA lenses) clash with the classic K1000 K and the 80's Pentax logo. The button fonts carry over from dSLRs. Add lens fonts and you really have a negative mashup.

In summary this looks and feels like a camera, not like a tiny imitation of my brother's OM1.

12-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
Nice pic! Love the side by side.
02-12-2013, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member

Нормальная камера... за очень небольшие деньги... тем более у вас в Америках)))