Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #1

K-01 - Available improvement options for viewfinder situation.

So the K-01, it is what it is, beautiful looking camera (to me) with only 1 painful flaw, the viewfinder.

I have been looking at options that are available out there now, to help improve shooting via live view. Some options are expensive, some are cheap, I google searched, "hotshoe EVF, hdmi EVF, etc etc" There are some interesting options, I feel like its only a short matter of time before someone releases a hotshoe mounted EVF which plugs into the hdmi port or uses wifi to transmit the image..

Has anyone else thought about / looked into the options available ?? Interested to hear if anyone has found any other options...

HD Video Cameras Rental, DSLR Camera Accessories, DSLR Rig - Chicago & Nationwide
LCD Viewfinder System for 3.0" DSLR LCD's
HoodLoupe 3.0-Hoodman Corporation
Redrock Micro - microEVF

Some of these are huge and aimed more towards video .. making them almost impractical, but they are interesting..

Thoughts.

Ben.

02-03-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moving this to the K-01 forum

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Moving this to the K-01 forum
Cheers .... sorry bout that.
02-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I use a Hoodman HoodLoupe Cinema Kit all the time on my K7 and I love it! It makes manual focus lenses so much more practical.

02-03-2012, 02:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mclarenman01 Quote
I use a Hoodman HoodLoupe Cinema Kit all the time on my K7 and I love it! It makes manual focus lenses so much more practical.
Thats great to hear, I have 7 manual focus Pentax lenses, A,K and M, assortment. Often heard people say its easier to focus usinng LV.. Its why I am still leaning towards getting a K-01 when they come out.
02-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't get it... A k-01 + viewfinder (and some other great features) = K5
02-03-2012, 05:21 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I don't get it... A k-01 + viewfinder (and some other great features) = K5
I see where you are coming from but... there is always a but

I currently have a K7 and would like the extra ISO ability of the K5. At the moment though I'm thinking that if I pick up the K-01 I will get the same or better still images than the K5, better video and a little less weight/bulk. All for $750ish!

No matter weather I bought the K5 or the K-01 I would still end up using the loupe for focusing with my manuals (such as K 50 f1.2) in critical situations so having a viewfinder is not at all important to me.

Also I'm thinking of buying the K5 replacement (or even better a Pentax FF) and the K-01 will make an excellent companion to it
02-03-2012, 05:42 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by bennygoerlach Quote
Thats great to hear, I have 7 manual focus Pentax lenses, A,K and M, assortment. Often heard people say its easier to focus usinng LV.. Its why I am still leaning towards getting a K-01 when they come out.
The hoodloupe is a great accessory mate. I can totally recommend it. It is quite bulky and can sometimes look a bit naff but it has made a massive improvement to my manual focus images.

I use it buy zooming in to 4x, placing the green box in the frame wherever I want the focal point to be, then just focus and shoot! Easy! You also get the benefit of live view being brighter than the regular viewfinder. The pic below was shot at night in a friends hallway with only a little bit of light from a bathroom a few doors behind me to focus and light the subject.

Pentax K7 - ISO1600 - K 50mm f1.2 @ f1.2 - 1/50

Last edited by mclarenman01; 02-03-2012 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Re-sized image
02-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mclarenman01 Quote
I see where you are coming from but... there is always a but

I currently have a K7 and would like the extra ISO ability of the K5. At the moment though I'm thinking that if I pick up the K-01 I will get the same or better still images than the K5, better video and a little less weight/bulk. All for $750ish!

No matter weather I bought the K5 or the K-01 I would still end up using the loupe for focusing with my manuals (such as K 50 f1.2) in critical situations so having a viewfinder is not at all important to me.

Also I'm thinking of buying the K5 replacement (or even better a Pentax FF) and the K-01 will make an excellent companion to it

Why do you expect to get better still images from the K-01 then from the K5!?

If you think the K-01 is going to be a good second body to the upcomming new flagship... Why can't your K7 be a good second body? It would save you some cash which you can spend on (maybe FF) glass.
02-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Why do you expect to get better still images from the K-01 then from the K5!?

If you think the K-01 is going to be a good second body to the upcomming new flagship... Why can't your K7 be a good second body? It would save you some cash which you can spend on (maybe FF) glass.
I believe I said "the same or better" because technology is constantly moving forwards. I think it is reasonable to believe that there is a (probably very) small chance the new image processing engine can extract a bit more performance from the Sony sensor. I'm not saying it will, just that it could.

As for the K7, the lack of high ISO performance can be a pain in the butt at times, as can the overheating when shooting video and using live view for extended periods of time (something that I hope has be fixed with the more video capable K-01).

When I get a new main body the girlfriend can have the K7 and I can have a new K-01 shaped toy
02-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
Site Supporter

K5 with hood loupe is already easily a 90+% focus hit rate.
The only thing it can't do are moving objects as the current DSLR implementation needs the shutter to go down first, then up again. Too much lag.
I'm using it right now with my K5.

K-01 with its MILC implementation of the shutter + hood loupe will be nice indeed.
A bit clunky though.. but certainly very effective