Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #1

K-01 Lack of Viewfinder

I would buy the K-01 in a flash IF it had a proper viewfinder. The lack of a viewfinder negates the advantage of being able to use the lenses we have - especially the long ones. Come on Pentax - show a bit of sense and add a viewfinder - I feel that it would very much pay in the long run.
Coldavo

02-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm pretty sure you can get some 3rd party HDMI EVF viewfinders right now...

They have one big advantage : they don' have to be stuck on the body!
Imagine having a monocle-like EVF, while you free-hand your camera in Impossible positions... Quite great IMO.
02-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
I'm pretty sure you can get some 3rd party HDMI EVF viewfinders right now...

They have one big advantage : they don' have to be stuck on the body!
Imagine having a monocle-like EVF, while you free-hand your camera in Impossible positions... Quite great IMO.
I can imagine one dirty dirty use for that sort of thing........
02-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
Banned

VF not needed in video mode

I very seldom use the EVF in my Panasonic GH2, GH1, TM700, Canon SX30 IS and 99% of videos are shot using the LCD. I have used my K-7 since July 2009 mostly in video mode and it has the exact same 3" LCD as the K-01.

02-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #5

HI.
Well how often is very sunny/ bright conditions a problem when looking at screens.If you have a viewfinder no problem unless you point it at the sun (just joking).The thought of having to buy a bolt on view finder seems stupid this must be a design mistake.Perhaps only using a screen will do away with any ff problems like the Kr has.
02-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why isn't something like this that Panasonic has on their newest in the G series possible for the K-01?

The LVF2 is a new optional viewfinder with a 1,440,000-dot equivalent resolution. The viewfinder can be tilted 90 degrees to accommodate low-camera angle shooting.

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:11 PM.
02-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Why isn't something like this that Panasonic has on their newest in the G series possible for the K-01?

The LVF2 is a new optional viewfinder with a 1,440,000-dot equivalent resolution. The viewfinder can be tilted 90 degrees to accommodate low-camera angle shooting.
A friend of mine has that rig. It's nice enough, but like anything clip on, it is adding more bulk that what would be present if the viewfinder was integral to the camera.
I'm not especially smitten with the concept of mirrorless cameras in general. They are an answer to a question that I don't see the point in asking. As long as Pentax keeps making proper SLRs, I'm happy. When/ if they stop making SLRs, I'll have to revisit things, but odds are the last camera I buy will be an SLR.

02-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you want a viewfinder , wait for mthe K-R replacement or buy a K-5
02-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
If you want a viewfinder , wait for mthe K-R replacement or buy a K-5
I agree, the K-5 is for still shooters that sometimes shoot video and the K-01 is for video shooters that sometimes shoot stills.
02-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
evf is very useful for shooting video..becuase u gain one point of contact that add stablize when u shoot hand held video.
all those professional camcorder has an evf. that is why company make those LCD viewfinder for DSLR that does not have evf to achieve the same purpose.
since k-01 is video-oriented..it is really sad it miss the evf.
02-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
Inactive Account

While having a EVF might be handy is some circumstances, I am looking at the K-01 because is has a reportedly good live view. As I have gotten older my eyes are not what they used to be. I am very far sighted and to use my KX I have to take off my glasses and use the diopter adjustment so I can see through the view finder but when I take my head away I have to put my glasses back on to see anything else, which is a real PITA. I do mostly studio shots of my art pieces so a good effective live view that will allow me to manual focus accurately is huge plus. This reported potential is what attracts me to the K-01.

I find the vitriolic reactions that I have seen over the last couple of days to the design interesting and pretty amusing. I don't buy a camera for its shape I buy it for is function. I know I am not like most, but for me photography is a tool that I need for my art. I have very little emotion about the equipment other than its ease of use for my application, and will it get the shot that I need. I am not a pro or what most would call a true enthusiast. But I do take a lot of pictures.

I will probably be a potential buyer. I want to see hands on reviews first but if it has the IQ of the K5 with good manual focus capabilities it is a no brainer. The reason I have Pentax currently is I had a lot of good legacy glass that Pentax supported. I am thankful that Pentax had to foresight to support legacy glass on the K-01.

Al
02-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
evf is very useful for shooting video..becuase u gain one point of contact that add stablize when u shoot hand held video.
all those professional camcorder has an evf. that is why company make those LCD viewfinder for DSLR that does not have evf to achieve the same purpose.
ie Zacuto but they're $250- $800usd average, people "hum hah" over the cost of the camera so you know what they "hum hah" over next lol

http://www.zacuto.com/
02-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
I have the LCDVF that I purchased for my K-7 but never used so I will use it with my K-01 when I get it.
LCD Viewfinder LCDVF Digital SLR Viewfinder LCDVF B&H Photo
02-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote

How do I connect a flash while that EVF is mounted That's my biggest issue with those; maybe just perception?
02-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
How do I connect a flash while that EVF is mounted That's my biggest issue with those; maybe just perception?
No, that appears to be the biggest reservation of the owners of the MFT cameras with attachable viewfinders too.