Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Consider this article:

Why the Pentax K-01 Was a Bad Idea - Photographic Articles - Camera-Enthusiast.com Blog

The author of this article makes many good points against the K-01, such as the weight, and lack of articulated LCD.

I disagree this will kill the K-01 though.

Takes lenses. Pentax has an awesome array of primes available to it, both thier own Limited range, and third party ones. In fact, by this means the K-01 now has access to one lens type no other mirrorless body has- primes which can do f1.4 or 1.2. The best they have is f1.8.

Combined with the fact the K-01 is really a cut down K-5, and people now have a mirrorless camera which can take genuine low light photos and videos.
I mean- the old Penatx 50mm f1.4 is a light lens that cane be bought at a reasonable price.

Or how about Sigma 30mm f1.4, or the Sigma 85mm f1.4?

As for the style, I thought it looked pretty good, though I haven't seen it in the flesh.

True, there are less than ideal aspects, but I think it's too early to discount it as a total flop yet. Give it a couple of months first.

Remember the saying- there's no such thing as bad publicity?

02-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes....I was a bit surprised at the negativity, but the camera won't be for everyone.

I'm not looking forward to the hysteria that comes when someone figures out a technical flaw with the camera......which I'm sure with enough digging, one will be found.
02-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Yes....I was a bit surprised at the negativity, but the camera won't be for everyone.

I'm not looking forward to the hysteria that comes when someone figures out a technical flaw with the camera......which I'm sure with enough digging, one will be found.
I'm getting a yellow one after the first wave goes by - say late April versus March 15 release - and I don't care what anyone thinks about it, especially some Canon fanboy.

I think this camera is as close to perfect for 75% of my digital camera needs as a camera can be. I have a K10D for most of the rest, and I choose to keep my other money in film cameras and MF lenses. If I wanted to I could change my hobby tools to a K-5 or successor and several DA* lenses or the FA Ltd set - but I choose not to.

The people who will buy this [EDIT: new camera] don't even know what dpreview or Camera-Enthusiast or PentaxForums are.

See Mark Roberts' (you know him - the Vivitar Series 1 70~210 ver. 3 guy from PDML) commentary HERE

"But ask yourself this: Which market is bigger, current owners of owners of SLRs or current owners of iPhones? Put that way it’s obvious the latter has more potential for sales."

Pentax has a Home Run.

Q.E.D.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-04-2012 at 03:46 PM.
02-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm getting a yellow one after the first wave goes by - say late April versus March 15 release - and I don't care what anyone thinks about it, especially some Canon fanboy.

I think this camera as close to perfect for 75% of my digital camera needs as a camera can.

I think this camera will be a Home Run for Pentax. The people who will buy this don't even know what dpreview or Camer-Enthusiast or PentaxForums are.

See Mark Roberts' (you know him - the Vivitar Series 1 70~210 ver. 3 guy from PDML) commentary HERE
FWIW, I was at PDN/PhotoPlus in 2010 with my wife's red K-x around my neck. I was amazed at how many people stopped me and asked me about the camera. I literally saw people ratchet their heads as they walked by, and then turn around and catch up to me to chat. That experience said two things:

1 - That a convention hall full of photographers did not know that Pentax had red cameras doesn't reflect well upon Pentax marketing.
2 - That despite the derisive posts online, plenty of people think that colored cameras are cool.

Now I'm wishing that I ordered the yellow...

02-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #20

Funny, I couldn't find the K-01 o the official Pentax site?
02-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
FWIW, I was at PDN/PhotoPlus in 2010 with my wife's red K-x around my neck. I was amazed at how many people stopped me and asked me about the camera. I literally saw people ratchet their heads as they walked by, and then turn around and catch up to me to chat. That experience said two things:

1 - That a convention hall full of photographers did not know that Pentax had red cameras doesn't reflect well upon Pentax marketing.
2 - That despite the derisive posts online, plenty of people think that colored cameras are cool.

Now I'm wishing that I ordered the yellow...
Got you there
02-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

For some incomprehensible reason it is buried under Hybrid Cameras rather than featured on teh front page. There IS a link to Mark Newson's Facebook page on the webstore front page. Go figure. The webpage seems to ahve last been updated January 31. There's a prominent date showing.

K-01
02-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

the people who will buy this don't even know what dpreview or camera-enthusiast or pentaxforums are.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this

02-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
The reaction to the K-x launch.
You must have reacted a lot on your own, because I don't remember any such reaction. The Q got dished a lot. And the K-7 too. But while the K-x might have been criticized for its lack of AF confirmation points, it was certainly not dished out overall.
02-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
You must have reacted a lot on your own, because I don't remember any such reaction. The Q got dished a lot. And the K-7 too. But while the K-x might have been criticized for its lack of AF confirmation points, it was certainly not dished out overall.
Well it existed. The K-x wasn't panned as much as the Q (few cameras are) or the K-01 (the K-01 is being bashed even more due to its unique appearance than anything else. I noted that in the first line of my initial post). I think the K-7 and K-x had a similar negative reaction, the K-7 for its ISO noise performance and backlash to the hype and the K-x for its lack of AF points and because of left over grumbling from the k-7.

Actually when I put it that way, Pentax fans have really hated the last bunch of cameras initially except for the 645D, K-5 and K10D. Opinions on the K20D improved as that camera became less expensive.

The comparison I was making was how a camera that was a good value (the K-x) overcame what was initially perceived by board members and reviewers as a critical design flaw (lack of AF points) by appealing to consumers with a set of good features for its price, and through word of mouth.

We'll see if the K-01 can pull the same thing off even though it lacks an EVF.
02-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Well it existed. The K-x wasn't panned as much as the Q (few cameras are) or the K-01 (the K-01 is being bashed even more due to its unique appearance than anything else.
Actually, the K-01 was bashed before its look was revealed - I know because I was involved in its bashing from the beginning The look was the cherry on top of the leaked specs, but that will go away as people get used to seeing it.

I noted that in the first line of my initial post). I think the K-7 and K-x had a similar negative reaction, the K-7 for its ISO noise performance and backlash to the hype and the K-x for its lack of AF points and because of left over grumbling from the k-7.
My memories are different. Compared to the K-7, people can be said to have been singing praises of the K-x. Yes, the lack of AF points was a serious omission, but still, the K-x was appreciated for its sensor. OTOH, very few people appreciated the K-7 - they either complained about the sensor or about the body changes. And they kept whining about how they're not going to upgrade from their K20D, as if anybody had asked them that question. I think the K-01 negative reactions will disappear pretty quickly, mainly because people will lose interest in it - some don't like it, others don't need it, and those that get it will post their images and they'll look like anything else.

The comparison I was making was how a camera that was a good value (the K-x) overcame what was initially perceived by board members and reviewers as a critical design flaw (lack of AF points) by appealing to consumers with a set of good features for its price, and through word of mouth.
In retrospect, I don't think the K-x was a good value. At least, not compared to the K-7. Word of mouth definitely made it sound like a better deal than it was. Too many limitations, IMO - the sensor was its only saving aspect.

We'll see if the K-01 can pull the same thing off even though it lacks an EVF.
The lack of EVF is its biggest hurdle. Everything else can be overcome.

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
This should be Ricoh's first concern: how can they generate word of mouth. I didn't see many people interested in the colors. Sure, if they see it on the street, they'll ask about it. But it seems it is just a curiosity that is not followed by a wish to own one. OTOH, the X100 was talked about everywhere and was purchased by many people. I even saw the Q getting mentioned in some discussions about compact systems. It's going to be interesting to see if there is going to be any talk about the K-01 or its style.