Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Reaction to the K-01 Reminds me Of

The reaction to the K-x launch. Plus the reaction to the appearance on top of that.

Remember how everyone went crazy when the K-x came out without autofocus points? All of the reviews mentioned it, and panned it for it. Nobody could quite understand what Pentax was thinking leaving that out for just a few hundred dollars of price difference. Just like with the lack of an EVF, many people on here swore that they couldn't possibly use a camera without focus points in the viewfinder

Then, it finally occurred to people (through word of mouth, not Pentax marketing, incidentally) that the K-x was a helluva lot of value in an inexpensive package. It became the most consistent seller for Pentax probably in the last five years.

It remains to be seen if the K-01 will be able to capitalize on a similar word of mouth trend against popular opinion. If it does so, I would think it's excellent video features at an affordable price will be the reason.

One more lesson from history: Pentax later came out with the Pentax K-r, replacing everything about the Pentax K-x that people claimed they hated. And...not nearly as many people bought it.

02-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
The reaction to the K-x launch. Plus the reaction to the appearance on top of that.

Remember how everyone went crazy when the K-x came out with autofocus points? All of the reviews mentioned it, and panned it for it. Nobody could quite understand what Pentax was thinking leaving that out for just a few hundred dollars of price difference. Just like with the lack of an EVF, many people on here swore that they couldn't possibly use a camera without focus points in the viewfinder

Then, it finally occurred to people (through word of mouth, not Pentax marketing, incidentally) that the K-x was a helluva lot of value in an inexpensive package. It became the most consistent seller for Pentax probably in the last five years.

It remains to be seen if the K-01 will be able to capitalize on a similar word of mouth trend against popular opinion. If it does so, I would think it's excellent video features at an affordable price will be the reason.

One more lesson from history: Pentax later came out with the Pentax K-r, replacing everything about the Pentax K-x that people claimed they hated. And...not nearly as many people bought it.
Finally! Its the VIDEO!! Ricoh has a plan. Just wait and watch.
02-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm surprised there was that sort of reaction to the K-x - it was nothing new, just a facsimile of the K-m (K2000) with a few new features and a vastly improved sensor.
02-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
I'm surprised there was that sort of reaction to the K-x - it was nothing new, just a facsimile of the K-m (K2000) with a few new features and a vastly improved sensor.
Well, you're right, it wasn't a crazy reaction except for people on this forum. Everyone else, especially reviewers, just kept giving it a frown and wag of the finger as if to say "I can't believe they didn't learn from the K-m."

02-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I gotta admit though, I can't believe they didn't have those focus points in my k-x. It makes life so much more boring.

...since I use center point focus anyways....
02-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I remember seeing the focus points mentioned in a couple of reviews - but the reviews were generally outstandingly positive! Please let it also be so for the K-01! :wink:
02-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
I remember seeing the focus points mentioned in a couple of reviews - but the reviews were generally outstandingly positive! Please let it also be so for the K-01! :wink:
Several of those reviews were incredibly weird. I read all of them I could find because the K-x is what brought me to Pentax and is my first dSLR. Many of them had LOADS of positive technical things to say, great picture output, small, handles well, uses legacy lenses like no other entry level dSLR ever, etc. but then in the conclusion they panned it and said there were better. In several instances I wrote to the authors and asked them if they read their own review except for the last paragraph would they have come to the same conclusion? That's when I really saw the power of the Canon-Nikon fanboi mafia. Bought the K-x and have been incredibly happy with it.

02-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Remember when people were all up in arms when the "Big Announcement" was the stormtrooper k-2000? That was a bigger deal on the forums than the k-x I thought.
02-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
Remember when people were all up in arms when the "Big Announcement" was the stormtrooper k-2000? That was a bigger deal on the forums than the k-x I thought.
Lol, I think Pentax deserved some grief for that one. Actually that fed into the "Oh Pentax, you're so Frivolous" narrative that has added into people's reactions to the K-01's appearance.
02-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
That kind of describes me.

I bought the K-x (after agonizing about the focus points issue).
After using the K-x I realized I don't really need the focus points.

I never upgraded because
a. I didn't really need those focus points after all
b. I don't have the ca$h to upgrade my camera very often
c. To this day I'm still leery of the darned tungsten misfocusing issue

- Sam
02-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If it does so, I would think it's excellent video features at an affordable price will be the reason.
Well, the video specs are quite fuzzy (real fuzzy as there are conflicting reports floating around about its capabilities everywhere) - does anyone actually have the video capabilities specifications yet?
02-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
does anyone actually have the video capabilities specifications yet
Format
- MPEG-4
- H.264

Microphone Stereo

Speaker Mono

Resolutions
- 1920 x 1080 (30, 25, 24 fps),
- 1280 x 720 (60, 50, 30, 25, 24 fps),
- 640 x 480 (30, 25, 24 fps)

Full manual control of aperture, shutter, audio etc, it is said.

External mic input

Lots of other details in the K-01 PDF here:
02-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Full manual control of aperture, shutter, audio etc, it is said.
That is the issue and why it is fuzzy.

Excerpt from the Pentax press release provided to Dezeen architecture and design magazine
QuoteQuote:
High-quality video recording

The PENTAX K-01 comes equipped with a Full HD video-recording function to capture high-quality movie clips (1920 x 1080 pixels). The H.264 format offers great images whilst recording at a choice of frame rate (30, 25 or 24 frames per second). It also comes with two new features to facilitate video recording: a video recording button for instant pushbutton start, and a stereo microphone for more realistic sound.

Personal touches can be added to recorded clips using various Custom Functions. Alternatively, the subject can be recorded in a series of video clips using the interval movie shooting mode. The PENTAX K-01 also comes with an HDMI terminal, which allows the user to simultaneously output both Full HD movie clips and stereo sound. It also has an external microphone input terminal. In addition, the K-01 features the new “PRIME M” imaging engine to ensure first-rate movie recording performance.
As you can see, even the press release says "2 new features" and fully manual is not one of them.

Still trying to find out where the info or rumor of full manual video is coming from - problem is one forum member here posted that under the amazon description it specially stated only 2 exposure modes for video and "Hyper Manual" was not one of them, if "M" mode is not available for video than it is not fully manual.
02-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Still trying to find out where the info or rumor of full manual video is coming from - problem is one forum member here posted that under the amazon description it specially stated only 2 exposure modes for video and "Hyper Manual" was not one of them, if "M" mode is not available for video than it is not fully manual.
The guy who did the first video review of it said it is fully manual as long as you set it that way in the menu. We'll see if that turns out to be true in the final version of the firmware. I remember the K-7 had autofocus in video in an early version and then they disabled it. Of course that was because there was a performance issue with video AF in the K-7, and I can't imagine that being the case here.
02-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Let's not forget the reaction to the colors - Oh the colors! Pentax is not a "serious" camera company! They make toys! They aren't a "serious" player! As a "serious" Pentax owner I'm embarassed! I can't show my face at the next camera club meeting! THE SKY IS FALLING!