Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does K-01 enable you to disable AF zooming in Live View

The most aggravating thing about Live View for me in the DSLR lineup is the automatic zooming in to the focus point. There's no choice; the view screen always zooms, and it's not fast, either. Big drawback when you have moving subjects. No way to disable it.

Does anyone know whether the K-01's viewfinder allows you to disable this feature? That would be a huge improvement.

My backup camera, the Olympus E-PL3 makes view screen zoom a manual function. Press the magnifying glass button and you can zoom in - quickly- if you want to. But only if you want to. As a result of that simple difference, I end up using my Takumars more often on my Olympus than on my Pentax DSLR! (I find manual focus through the Pentax VF not that reliable or easy.)

02-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Couldn't agree more! I only use Live View to manual focus because I cannot stand when it does that during auto focus. I always wondered why I needed to see super close up when it's auto focusing anyway... like what, I need to double check how good it's doing? IMHO, I really just need to know WHERE it's trying to focus. A simple red square like in the viewfinder would suffice. I can check the quality of the shot after and re-shoot if needed. The ability to zoom in when manual focusing, especially with narrow DOF, is wonderful though.

P.S. I never saw anyone else complain about this so I just figured I was missing something.
02-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Even in manual focus, the zoom is a pain. Sometimes I want to take a shot with the viewfinder when I have already set zone focus with the manual lens. Live View's zoom costs me shot opportunities as a result.

But the principal complaint is the zoom in autofocus.

Last edited by Basset; 02-03-2012 at 07:31 PM.
02-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is a chance that during AF, Pentax only reads out a fraction of the sensor. This technique is called windowing and allows higher refresh rates, i.e., faster AF. If this is behind the enforced zoom, then it can't be disabled.

02-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
There is a chance that during AF, Pentax only reads out a fraction of the sensor. This technique is called windowing and allows higher refresh rates, i.e., faster AF. If this is behind the enforced zoom, then it can't be disabled.

I don't know about your explanation, but thanks for chipping in.

I do know that in my E-PL3, autofocus through the LCD screen is several times faster autofocusing than through Live View in a Pentax - I can use the E-PL3 for street photography, whereas Live View makes that largely impracticable because of the zoom function. I should think Pentax's mirrorless model can avoid that pitfall, since other mirrorless cameras do it routinely.

Back to the original question: Does anyone know whether the K-01 will allow you to disable the Live View zoom?
02-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01's AF will likely work just like the Q's. So unless you enable Focus Peaking or whatever they called it, it should just work "normally".

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just wondered what this reference in the K-01 spec sheet re AF Autozoom having an "OFF" setting meant.

I'd hoped that meant you could disable that zooming feature altogether. Thoughts?
Attached Images

02-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The answer is in the Singapore Users Group post of their hands on K-01 experience yesterday!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/174006-latest-photos-k-...ml#post1808972