Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So we do a little bit of advertising on Facebook to get the word out about PF. We have an ad with the PF logo and DSLR pictures, and yesterday, because of the launch of the K-01, I put up an ad with a picture of the yellow K-01.

Normally it's very, very difficult to catch people's attention, but this ad's performance went through the roof! I think this means that to the general consumer public, this camera is actually attractive! You just don't see this sort of buzz with other Pentax cameras, even the K-5 when it was launched.
My FB ad strategy is two-fold:

1-Logo ads to create brand awareness and recall among the target audience. Typically, low CPM and low CTR so I run sparingly
2-Colors. Bright colors to catch the eye.

The yellow K-01 fits point 2 to a T! I bet if you put an orange or bright green K-r you'd get comparable results.

02-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I've occasionally wondered if Pentax uses their own equipment to take product photos. Wouldn't it be funny if they didn't?
Adam (I think) wrote in another thread the product photos were taken with a studio Leaf since the 645D cannot shoot tethered.
02-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Well, then let me explain. The market this is being targeted at is all about being sleek, slim, and fashionable. Large cameras do not sell.

Compared with the Panasonic GF3 the K-01 is 12% wider, 18% taller, 82% thicker and more than double the weight. I'm thinking that's going to be a hard sell.
02-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #34
Veteran Member

The yellow is nice. If all the silver on top was black this would look much better. I wonder would anyone disassemble one and get out the paints?

02-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Well, then let me explain. The market this is being targeted at is all about being sleek, slim, and fashionable. Large cameras do not sell.

Compared with the Panasonic GF3 the K-01 is 12% wider, 18% taller, 82% thicker and more than double the weight. I'm thinking that's going to be a hard sell.
Apples to oranges really. Micro 4/3 has a smaller sensor. You can certainly make a smaller camera for APS-C, but the lenses don't really get smaller because of the sensor format -- regardless of the registration distance. Tiny little bodes and big lenses don't make any sense to me. If you want smaller, you just need to go for a smaller sensor -- but when Pentax created the Q, people found other things to complain about.
02-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Apples to oranges really. Micro 4/3 has a smaller sensor. You can certainly make a smaller camera for APS-C, but the lenses don't really get smaller because of the sensor format -- regardless of the registration distance. Tiny little bodes and big lenses don't make any sense to me. If you want smaller, you just need to go for a smaller sensor -- but when Pentax created the Q, people found other things to complain about.
The MFT sensor is substantially the same as APS-C and will take pictures that are every bit as good. Please explain how this is apples to oranges?

On the other hand, the Pentax Q is nowhere near the same and suffers from enormous compromises in IQ, while costing much more than what other capable small-sensor cameras cost. I think that was what people complained about.

Small bodies and big lenses may not make sense to you, but how does an oversize body with those same lenses make any more sense?
02-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The MFT sensor is substantially the same as APS-C and will take pictures that are every bit as good. Please explain how this is apples to oranges?

On the other hand, the Pentax Q is nowhere near the same and suffers from enormous compromises in IQ, while costing much more than what other capable small-sensor cameras cost. I think that was what people complained about.

Small bodies and big lenses may not make sense to you, but how does an oversize body with those same lenses make any more sense?
M43 is very good - I've got the Panasonic GH1, GH2, and GF2 - but the Sony sensor in the K-5 and K-01 is still a touch ahead IMO, most critically in post-processing, where the M43 DNGs are more brittle and less happy when really pushed. My K-5 DNGs on the other hand, are like butter, very organic.
02-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #38
Forum Member

Definitely appealing. Ribbed yellow? Sign me up!

02-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
M43 is very good - I've got the Panasonic GH1, GH2, and GF2 - but the Sony sensor in the K-5 and K-01 is still a touch ahead IMO, most critically in post-processing, where the M43 DNGs are more brittle and less happy when really pushed. My K-5 DNGs on the other hand, are like butter, very organic.
John, I agree completely. Even my K20D images have something my E-P1 does not have. In fact I would say the K20D was the pinnacle of image quality, retaining something my K-x does not have! (Image quality now takes second place to the quest for high ISOs.)

Similarly, MFT make some decent lenses but none will match the FA Limiteds for that "special something". (At least none I've seen.)

But these differences are subtle and simply not worth mentioning in most use cases. I'd say 99% of shooters would never notice, and even that last percentage would not notice in every shot.
02-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I prefer the black, but last night I showed the Mrs the K-01 and the colurs it comes, she said she liked the yellow one the best.
I asked why? And her answer was that "its different".
Weird. Mine too. I've said before that it's targeted at the soccer mom who wants something better than the cell camera but that gives them bragging rights and has better video. This may be it.
02-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spade111 Quote
Is it just me, or do the pictures of the camera in Jogiba's post (great post by the way!) look extremely well taken?

There is virtually no "lensing" of the proportions of the camera. They look completely isometric - as they would look if taken straight out of auto cad.
Must this be done with an extreme telephoto from across the room into a light box?

Maybe some removal of pincushion or barrel - but that doesn't explain the fact that I don't see any off-axis surface surfaces. (maybe that doesn't make any sense... but the proportions look much better than I think I could replicate even with lenses I've never played with... (and that probably speaks to the relative paucity of super tele lenses rather than my intention to play with them )).
Perhaps they used a 645D? Ya think?
02-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by spade111 Quote
Is it just me, or do the pictures of the camera in Jogiba's post (great post by the way!) look extremely well taken?

There is virtually no "lensing" of the proportions of the camera. They look completely isometric - as they would look if taken straight out of auto cad.
Must this be done with an extreme telephoto from across the room into a light box?

Maybe some removal of pincushion or barrel - but that doesn't explain the fact that I don't see any off-axis surface surfaces. (maybe that doesn't make any sense... but the proportions look much better than I think I could replicate even with lenses I've never played with... (and that probably speaks to the relative paucity of super tele lenses rather than my intention to play with them )).
Methinks the K-01 is the world's first isometric camera!
02-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Yellow for me. If you're gonna be different, be exceptionally that.
02-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Seems to me that Pentax has many options in that regard and a track record of expanding the colors available if there is enough interest in the camera to begin with....
Thanks for posting photo with the available colors. Being a "serious" photographer, I would stick with black or black/silver, but I can see how other people might be attracted to the brighter colors.

Rob
02-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
Why is the is the top part of the camera body - i.e. the logo part, the dial, and the shutter button - in a different colour from the rest? This is sheer philistinism. With a more traditional design and a viewfinder, this w o u l d have been an excellent camera. Owing to these two deficiencies, I shall not be buying the K-01.
Nor should you, as the K-01 is not aimed at your particular market segment. I doubt that I will be getting it myself, but I can appreciate that it might have broad appeal, especially if it is marketed cleverly and aggressively.

Rob