Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I hate to be negative, but I think that's about as ugly a camera as I've ever seen. Makes me glad I've got my beautiful red Kx.

02-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wow! wonderful!
02-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Image looks very good and sharp for ISO6400! So at least the electronics are as excellent as Pentax should be...
02-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

nice work with high iso (:

02-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Thanks for the hands on report creampuff. Very interesting, if I had a studio I would be buying one for the studio.

Mods could we maybe have just one thread for all the bitching moaning and trash talking. I'm about ready to 'splode.
02-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Yeah, we do things fast here in Singapore.
BTW the K-01 battery life is very good so far (rated about 500 shots).
I don't find that very good. I get 1700 on a single set of battries on my K-m (no flash, but autofocus)

QuoteQuote:
Mods could we maybe have just one thread for all the bitching moaning and trash talking. I'm about ready to 'splode.
I say, it's a discussion forum, let people discuss. Things have pros and cons and a love-fest doesn't give anyone a fair picture and honestly forcing that would only taint the perspective.

Personally I don't really find anything appealing about this camera at all.
I don't want to be fighting with a viewfinder in bright light and the design really doesn't do anything for me.
02-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #22
Veteran Member

How can you compare a viewfinder equipped Km to a Liveview only K01 in terms of battery life?

02-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #23

How about the ergonomics of the camera? Is it menu hell or intuitive delight?
02-03-2012, 11:14 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
I don't find that very good. I get 1700 on a single set of battries on my K-m (no flash, but autofocus)
You should get a film camera, thousands of shots from a single battery! (assuming they are up to your high aesthetic standards)

let people discuss
I welcome discussion. You thinking of starting some?
02-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #25
hcc
Pentaxian

Great thread. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinion. This is super.

PF members are greatful for the useful input..

Last edited by hcc; 02-04-2012 at 01:37 AM.
02-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
You should get a film camera, thousands of shots from a single battery! (assuming they are up to your high aesthetic standards)

I welcome discussion. You thinking of starting some?
Really? Because all I see thus far is a resort to sniping sarcasm because someone isn't giving the camera the love you think it deserves, and trying to keep that conversation to some restricted spot so that it doesn't spoil what you have in mind.

QuoteQuote:
How can you compare a viewfinder equipped Km to a Liveview only K01 in terms of battery life?
That's kind of the point, and one of the reasons the camera does nothing for me.

At the price point, I'm not sure who exactly this camera is supposed to be targeted at. A viewfinder functions as more than simply a way to look at what you're shooting. It puts your body into a specific position that helps you stabilize the camera.
02-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #27

I wonder about the shot with the lady whether it was taken with a tripod. At 1/8 of a second it is pretty sharp. Unfortunately there is more sharpness behind the face/eyes of the lady as indicated by hair on the left behind the face. So there is a bit of a backfocus.
Now my second question: was "face detect" turned on? If it was then I would expect a better result with the focus actually being on the face. I don't want to sound harsh, just critical and I am mostly grateful that I am able to look at a shot in the first place. Cheers.
02-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #28
Veteran Member

At the price point, I'm not sure who exactly this camera is supposed to be targeted at. A viewfinder functions as more than simply a way to look at what you're shooting. It puts your body into a specific position that helps you stabilize the camera.
Please consider that a decent EVF would have added about $250 to the cost of the camera and, thus, placed it beyond reach of many in the targeted market. Do not think for one moment that Pentax did not consider it. Too bad for you that they ruled you out of their market and settled on lower cost. So, in the end, it was a simple marketing decision. Deal with it. At $799, this camera offers a lot, even without a VF. But don't lose hope. Your dream camera may yet come along.

Rob
02-04-2012, 12:05 AM - 1 Like   #29

It would have been interesting to see that picture from the K-5 as well. I don't think it would have been any worse =)

Thanks you for the pictures of the camera. I love the look of this camera, and I'm getting one for sure (not because the looks though).

Yes, it doesn't have a viewfinder, but put on an LCDVF or if you don't like that, find one you do like and use that. This will be great for video (better than the K-5 for video actually), time lapse and most other kinds of photography IMO. Specially if you have manual focus lenses! It has focus peaking, this will make things a lot easier for manual focus if it works properly. If AF is not too slow, it also will be good for most kinds of photography. If it's fast, maybe even sports.

I don't see anything wrong with this camera. Pentaxian1 on YouTube says this about the video: "The exposure can be controlled via aperture or shutter speed, choosing one or the other. The video file itself is limited to 25 min max recording time, which is hard coded independent of the memory card or battery power. However, it will stop recording if needed if the camera/battery get too hot." On my K-5 I get a max of 5m23s with 1080p full quality. This is because the camera thinks this will fill 4GB, yet I don't have a video file yet that has been over 3GB. The K-01 will be much better here. Also, I live in a cold environment, so overheating hasn't been a problem yet.

I'm looking forward to this camera a lot.

Here is also another article about it (which I'm going to read now): Pentax Launches K-01 Mirrorless Camera, World Misses the Point
02-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Im also a K-m owner. The reason our batteries last so long are one the batteries you choose, and second the fact that it DOES have an optical viewfinder. I have always been impressed with what my K-2000 can do for me.. but when I look at K-01 I see just how far dated my camera really is. For the price, K-01 just can't be beat.