Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #121
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote

But seriously, you say don't make judgements until trying it. I ask reasonable questions about the other features and you focus on the ISO6400 comparison? :-P
probably because you focused on that primarily. you did compare it against the XPro-1 and K-5, right? I understand Frank for rebutting that part of the argument since it is really erroneous especially if you made comparisons from different images taken at different conditions. we don't have the luxury to try both K-5 and K-01, but they do. so I think it would be proper to be atleast be more courteous to them. it's not like you are paying them to do this job and meet your demands at once.


Last edited by Pentaxor; 02-04-2012 at 02:14 PM.
02-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #122
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,329
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Compared to the X-Pro1's ISO6400 at f/3.2 1/250 (First full-res Fujifilm X-Pro1 images appear on the web: Digital Photography Review too bad they removed the full size images but it wasn't bad to pixel peep), it seems worse.
If you take a ISO 204800 picture from the x1pro that would be similar conditions... LV 0 is incredibly dark.
By the way you can try to handhold a 1/8th second at 40mm with a x1pro lacking any SR - then compare the pictures.
02-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #123
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
I heard that we can expect K-01 even in februari if we are luckey. Mostley I am luckey

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Sorry we only have a prototype K-01 in hands right now, not really a final product. The firmware version is only 0.33. Just now I tried the continuous shooting mode, it can only take 2 to 3 photos continuously in RAW, 7-8 photos in JPG, then can keep shooting at a slower speed. Better wait for the final product comes out and see how it performs.

One thing I can see is that the new camera is quite abit faster than the K-5 when playing back photos (used a same Sandisk Extreme III SDHC card for the test), probably due to the improved card-read/write circuits/chips.
Thanks for the info. K-5 also had limited buffer at start. I do wonder how big the buffer will be. I hope just a little more then K-r.

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
If it uses the M6, it should be able to do 6 (to 7) frames per second continues, so without filling the buffer if the SD card and the write speed off it are fast enough.

I couldn't find the numbers of the M5 chip but i guess it's about 2 to 3 times as fast since when the K5 buffer is full the frame rate drops to 1.2fps
I was wondering about that. Since our K-5 could run faster then it does with current firmware. Original with firmware 1.01 it could make 273 jpg in one minute, but now it only comes to 105 jpg/minute and 99 RAW/minute. So I wonder if at the time the PRIME II processor is limiting or something else. If it is other electronics and software, then with solving that problem and giving it a faster processor would make it more snappier. Good thing! Going up to writespeed of UHS-I cards of 45 MB/s would be perfect and much faster then K-5. When PRIME-M can keep up it is fast.
02-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #124
Pentaxian
bluestringer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cotton fields of South Georgia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,435
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If you have a smaller film SLR like a MESuper, try this.

Hold the camera in the classic fashion shown in a SLR instruction manual - left palm cradling the base, right hand around the side, thumb on back (where K-01 buttons are) finger on release.

Holding your elbows in at your sides with a strong stance (left foot slightly forward), bring the camera up to CHIN LEVEL 6"-10" away from you face - NOT ARMS' LENGTH - and look slightly down at the film holder frame. Imagine that is a LCD.

Hold the position until your arms are actually tired. I got seven minutes.

I wear trifocals, bifocal progressive prescription sunglasses and I have cataracts (for three more weeks) and glaucoma. My conclusion from my experiment is I will be able to use the LCD exclusively, without needing to hold the camera at arms' length.

That only works because the camera is LARGER AND HEAVIER than the NEX-style EVF cameras everyone is so enamored of. There's actually enough volume in the body to hold this camera like it is an SLR. That's a really great thing!!

I DON'T WANT An EVF OR OVF on this camera. I don't NEED an EVF OR OVF on this camera. They're never as good as an SLR VF anyway. Save that for the K-r replacement I bet they announce at CP+ and the K-5 replacement coming this summer.

I want all the stuff that makes great images and video for $750 US. And I like the yellow (and the all-black, if we can ever get it). I believe this will be a great camera and a home run for Pentax. Mark Newson's design (form design) is actually inspired if you think the way I'm thinking.

Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy.

That may work fine. But the point I was making is I can't use the LCD with my glasses. I think the camera is fine, but I don't want one. I'm old school and like a big SLR type camera with a mirror. I'm completely satisfied with my K200D and my istDS. I don't need video. The K-01 looks to be a great camera for those that want that type, but it's not for me, and I was just making a point that it would be difficult for me to use without a viewfinder. I look forward to seeing photos that users take with it though.

02-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #125
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,102
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Managed to get the new Pentax K-01 (courtesy of our local country distributor Emjay, kudos to the terrific team there) for our monthly Pentax user group outing today.
I am hoping that this is ONLY the beginning of a new Pentax - getting a pre-production model of the new camera to a local group of users - I think shows a new openness - and I hope Pentax makes it a regular roll out activity. How much good will has this generated? - A LOT in my estimation! How much hands on by real every day users experience has Pentax gained (and us the Forum readers) - along with their reports in their own words and not a press release or a canned review. I can only hope that Pentax will follow up in a very positive way and do this again. This forum provides a tremendous amount of instant exposure, along with the ability to interact (with the review group) - asking questions along with many follow-up questions - is something new, interesting, and I would think - exposes what the real world users want to see. Even with early software (v0.33?) the positive nature of the comments, remarks, suggestions and comments from both the folks in the Singapore User Group along with the forum readers show that this was a very positive experience.

Pentax - please consider out of the box activities like this again - and make it a permanent part of the marketing roll out process!

... and Pentax (if your reading) - I like the all black version that folks put together, the yellow is catching, also - I like the chimnyless version too...

02-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #126
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,149
Not only is this the largest group of Pentax owners ever assembled in one place, but they've shared some great first-hand experience and photos with the K-01!

And contrary to what happened here, the K-01 does not appear to have made any of those in attendance sad and despondent!

Thanks for sharing!!!
02-04-2012, 03:41 PM - 2 Likes   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,336
On Pentax USA and building brand loyalty

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I am hoping that this is ONLY the beginning of a new Pentax - getting a pre-production model of the new camera to a local group of users - I think shows a new openness - and I hope Pentax makes it a regular roll out activity. How much good will has this generated? - A LOT in my estimation! How much hands on by real every day users experience has Pentax gained (and us the Forum readers) - along with their reports in their own words and not a press release or a canned review. I can only hope that Pentax will follow up in a very positive way and do this again. This forum provides a tremendous amount of instant exposure, along with the ability to interact (with the review group) - asking questions along with many follow-up questions - is something new, interesting, and I would think - exposes what the real world users want to see. Even with early software (v0.33?) the positive nature of the comments, remarks, suggestions and comments from both the folks in the Singapore User Group along with the forum readers show that this was a very positive experience.

Pentax - please consider out of the box activities like this again - and make it a permanent part of the marketing roll out process!

... and Pentax (if your reading) - I like the all black version that folks put together, the yellow is catching, also - I like the chimnyless version too...

Frank and creampuff are in Singapore. They get a hands-on pre-production session Day 2. Thankfully the internet makes it fell like they are in the next room.

You and I are, unfortunately, unlikely to see anyone in our neck of the woods get a pre-production hands on. Because we are covered by PentaxUSA.

We might get a picture of the K-01 or the new WG-2 on the USA website by some time next month. If we are lucky. The front page still features the announcement of Ricoh/Pentax dated October 1st. The K-01 is buried under hybrid cameras - no real mention that it is anything NEW - its just there, as if it has been a Pentax product forever.

I regret to make an ad hominem attack, but the first thing Ricoh should do for USA marketing is terminate Ned Bunnell (the Leica blogger) and John Carlson (I'll answer a few questions on your website, but you have to be polite, not ask anything hard or critical, and I don't have time to be there when you are) yesterday and bring in some empathetic, aggressive competitors. Get some sales guys in stores. It works in St. Louis - I can handle any camera Pentax makes, most lenses and lots of legacy stuff at Creve Couer Camera.

Then terminate C.R.I.S. and bring service under the Pentax banner again - and do it right. We get better service from a retired guy in Tennessee than we do from the manufacturer's distribution arm.

BUT - Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. Ricoh has a plan, and you will be happy.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-06-2012 at 06:31 PM.
02-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #128
Pentaxian
Raffwal's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 6457' North
Posts: 806
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Frank and creampuff are in Indonesia.
Singapore is not in Indonesia. It is in ... Singapore.

02-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #129
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Frank and creampuff are in Indonesia. They get a hands-on pre-production session Day 2. Thankfully the internet makes it fell like they are in the next room.

You and I are, unfortunately, unlikely to see anyone in our neck of the woods get a pre-production hands on. Because we are covered by PentaxUSA.

We might get a picture of the K-01 or the new WG-2 on the USA website by some time next month. If we are lucky. The front page still features the announcement of Ricoh/Pentax dated October 1st. The K-01 is buried under hybrid cameras - no real mention that it is anything NEW - its just there, as if it has been a Pentax product forever.

I regret to make an ad hominem attack, but the first thing Ricoh should do for USA marketing is terminate Ned Bunnell (the Leica blogger) and John Carlson (I'll answer a few questions on your website, but you have to be polite, not ask anything hard or critical, and I don't have time to be there when you are) yesterday and bring in some empathetic, aggressive competitors. Get some sales guys in stores. It works in St. Louis - I can handle any camera Pentax sells, most lenses and lots of legacy stuff at Creve Couer Camera.

Then terminate C.R.I.S. and bring service under the Pentax banner again - and do it right. We get better service from a retired guy in Tennessee than we do from the manufacturer's distribution arm.

BUT - Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. Ricoh has a plan, and you will be happy.
It's only ad hominem if it is not germane to the issue at hand and not based on fact, otherwise it's ad rem as long as it is relevant to the issue at hand. In this case it's ad rem IMHO. I had to publicly shame PentaxUSA into doing the right thing in actually looking to find a part by posting their verbatim response to me here and going to Pentax Canada and asking them for it. The CEO lives in another state from the HQ and commutes? He writes mostly about Leica? The PR guy has no time or tolerance to participate productively and with a smile (pasted on if necessary) in the largest gathering of Pentax consumers? Pentax USA's website pales in comparison to Pentax UK in actually MARKETING their product? Pentax USA gets a different body color for the K-01 and drops the MOST FAVORED of the color options? Interviews within days of each other by the Pentax USA and Pentax UK marketing directors are NIGHT AND DAY different in their tone - the former causes widespread depression in long-time Pentax users and the later holds out genuine hope that something positive is happening? These things are AD REM and support your argument that Pentax USA needs a complete housecleaning, again IMHO.

And Yes, I do believe that Ricoh has a plan and that it will be a wild 2-3 years.
02-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #130
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,336
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Singapore is not in Indonesia. It is in ... Singapore.
Fixed. What kind of brain freeze caused that?
02-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #131
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,336
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It's only ad hominem if it is not germane to the issue at hand and not based on fact, otherwise it's ad rem as long as it is relevant to the issue at hand. In this case it's ad rem IMHO. I had to publicly shame PentaxUSA into doing the right thing in actually looking to find a part by posting their verbatim response to me here and going to Pentax Canada and asking them for it. The CEO lives in another state from the HQ and commutes? He writes mostly about Leica? The PR guy has no time or tolerance to participate productively and with a smile (pasted on if necessary) in the largest gathering of Pentax consumers? Pentax USA's website pales in comparison to Pentax UK in actually MARKETING their product? Pentax USA gets a different body color for the K-01 and drops the MOST FAVORED of the color options? Interviews within days of each other by the Pentax USA and Pentax UK marketing directors are NIGHT AND DAY different in their tone - the former causes widespread depression in long-time Pentax users and the later holds out genuine hope that something positive is happening? These things are AD REM and support your argument that Pentax USA needs a complete housecleaning, again IMHO.

And Yes, I do believe that Ricoh has a plan and that it will be a wild 2-3 years.
If I was one of those two guys I'd be looking over my shoulder.
02-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #132
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
If you take a ISO 204800 picture from the x1pro that would be similar conditions... LV 0 is incredibly dark.
By the way you can try to handhold a 1/8th second at 40mm with a x1pro lacking any SR - then compare the pictures.
I think it is possible that Fuji has a real breakthrough in IQ with the X-Pro 1, but we shall have to wait to find out. But the absence of image stabilization in that camera, especially given the price, is a serious deficiency. "Rangefinder" users don't value IS, as they think that they can handhold their cameras almost to infinity. As a former rangefinder user, I know that handholdability is greater than with an SLR, but it does not come close to the advantage conferred by IS. (BTW, the X-Pro 1 is not a true rangefinder. It just looks like one.)

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 02-05-2012 at 02:16 PM.
02-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #133
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Frank and creampuff are in Indonesia. They get a hands-on pre-production session Day 2. Thankfully the internet makes it fell like they are in the next room....
Sorry bro, Singapore is definitely a small country but we're not in Indonesia!
Actually we've been very fortunate to be able to have a close personal and working relationship with present and previous Pentax distributors. Lucky for us, our current Pentax distributor Emjay has been most supportive and pro-active in their efforts to enhance the Pentax presence locally. They have been open to feedback from local Pentax users and that's why we actually see a thriving Pentax community as evidenced by the growing number of new users at our monthly local Pentax outings. Whether oldie or newbie, many, myself included, have benefited greatly from the mentoring and sharing covering everything from equipment use to shooting techniques to post processing.

And early birds at our outing yesterday got these nice Tomy miniature giveaways from our local distributor... yay, nothing like getting a new toy!
02-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #134
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Cool. Any rear sensor for the camera?
Unfortunately no, there is no IR sensor at the back, only one in the front. There is no socket for a cable release either, so you'll have to point a wireless from the front if you want to trigger the shutter wirelessly.
02-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #135
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote

What a difference a lens makes...Adam should hang the photo off the main site page.... Thanks for posting Frank!
.
No prob. I love to take photos of camera and lenses, especially Pentax FA Limiteds
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k-01, k01, mirrorless, pentax, pentax k-01, price, singapore, user, users
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Observations from a Pentax user group meeting. creampuff Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 54 01-13-2012 06:42 AM
Singapore User Outing Captured on Video creampuff Video and Pentax HDSLRs 4 08-20-2011 03:05 PM
Hands-on w/ SMC DA 18-135mm/3.5-5.6 Lens (Many Photos) frank Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 53 06-20-2011 07:11 AM
New Social Group - Singapore User Group creampuff General Talk 1 04-02-2010 09:09 PM
Pentax user in London please join my new pentax DSLR London users group m42geo Photographic Technique 3 01-31-2009 05:32 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:36 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top