Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

creampuff, you say that this is a no brainer upgrade for MF users, how is the display lag? ...And can you see the focus peeking in outdoor light (my prime concern with no EVF)?

02-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for a great thread!

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
But since K-01 is still using screw driven AF mechanism, contrast detection AF is pretty much the same as K-5 in LiveView, AF speed is more or less relied on the lens mounted. Don't expect big AF speed improvement over the old cameras unless Pentax change its lens AF system.
Thanks for the early AF performance indication.

However, I disagree that lenses are the current bottleneck for Pentax CDAF performance. As long as the CDAF algorithm is not confused, it is pretty fast out of the box, about ~1 s or less already on the K-5. But too often, it decides it must walk thru the lens' entire focus range and then it becomes too slow. This may be an area where the K-01 brings progress.
02-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Did you guys try any remote shots? The group pic perhaps? I see a sensor on the front of the camera but don't recall seeing one on the back, is there one on the back too?
Yeah the group shots were triggered by the Pentax infrared remote. I think Frank shot some landscapes by remote from behind the camera.
02-04-2012, 09:52 AM - 2 Likes   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dustette Quote
wow this amazing. Would really want to see some output from k-01 with one of the FA limited!
I might take some more photos using the camera together w FA31 tomorrow, but I think the IQ is pretty much in line w K5 which is excellent even comparing w some full frame cameras

02-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by supersimon27 Quote
Thanks Frank , for giving me the chance to touch the K-01 today . Ha . it's a good experience

Thanks creampuff for this thread too .

Glad you guys enjoyed the outing, as always
02-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Great photo with the K-01 with the DA 21mm Limited bro.
And there's more Pentax users that showed up later but are not in the picture.
I guess we're all pleased as punch to know how much the K-01 will cost...
Thanks for your 21 too

I can foresee a lot guys would love to have one whence they know the price in store
02-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
creampuff, you say that this is a no brainer upgrade for MF users, how is the display lag? ...And can you see the focus peeking in outdoor light (my prime concern with no EVF)?
What display lag? There is none worth mentioning. As pinholecam mentioned earlier in this thread, this is a pre-production K-01 so focus peaking not implemented yet with this firmware.

02-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Thanks for a great thread!

Thanks for the early AF performance indication.

However, I disagree that lenses are the current bottleneck for Pentax CDAF performance. As long as the CDAF algorithm is not confused, it is pretty fast out of the box, about ~1 s or less already on the K-5. But too often, it decides it must walk thru the lens' entire focus range and then it becomes too slow. This may be an area where the K-01 brings progress.
Since you said so, I did notice that a few lenses had to go through the entire focus range before they locked focus, just like what K5 does. Hope the final product will improve on this.
02-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
There is a menu item to On/Off the focusing peak, but it's not there on this prototype ...
02-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Look thru the monthly photo outing thread below and there are some nice images taken with the K-01 and shots taken by Singapore Pentax users.

Pentax January Outing Photos - Sunrise/Macro Shots
02-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What display lag? There is none worth mentioning. As pinholecam mentioned earlier in this thread, this is a pre-production K-01 so focus peaking not implemented yet with this firmware.
That's good, my K7 liveview is about a half second behind. Glad to hear it's improved.
02-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Actual image from the K-01 - high ISO snapshot (ISO6400 at f/2.8) in a very dark setting handheld. Pass!
If by "Pass!" you mean I wouldn't use it, I'd agree.
It's extremely grainy considering you resized it. Compared to the X-Pro1's ISO6400 at f/3.2 1/250 (First full-res Fujifilm X-Pro1 images appear on the web: Digital Photography Review too bad they removed the full size images but it wasn't bad to pixel peep), it seems worse..and possibly even worse than the K-5 at ISO6400? I though the sensor would be better in dim light.
The Macro shot looks great and I'd agree Pentax should strongly consider making the all black version to hide the snorkel tube.

Did you guys try AF-C at all? Curious what those extra AF points buy you for the folks that complain about the focus tracking ability of the K-5. And could you do the AF point test to see if they shrank the AF point size? I'm guessing they did because they added so many of them...that'd be another thing to look forward to for the K-5 replacement.
02-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #103
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Compared to the X-Pro1's ISO6400 at f/3.2 1/250
That is in bright light so it's not the same as the K-01 shot at night.

02-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is for sure Pentax would come out a great camera (improved K5 sensor!), and indeed it is. Despite the controversy look, the best/right thing Pentax-Ricoh did this time is, IMHO: Pricing the K-01 & 40 XS lens correctly!

So 40mm XS works on K5;
all other old lenses including SDM lenses work on K-01 (can drive SDM). Hope it come with an option to allow user select use screw drive in SDM lens though...

So why did Pentax said XS lens can be use on K-01 only? Really doesn't make sense.

I am ready to sell my old LX3.... and go all Pentax.
02-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #105
Veteran Member

I beg to differ. I use glasses and do use bifocals and reading glasses but I got no issue looking at the LCD screen. In fact, I think it's actually better than squinting into a tiny viewfinder trying or hoping that the focusing screen accurately reflect that things are sharp and in focus. Give it a try and you'll find the K-01 isn't so difficult to use.

I have tried. I have a Fuji FinePix S700 P&S that has an LCD screen and viewfinder. I can't use the LCD screen because I have to hold my head up at an angle to see it with my bifocals, and that really strains my neck. Shooting at something low is not a problem, but trying to hold it at eye level my head has to be at a 45 degree angle to see the screen. I prefer a viewfinder.