Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #106
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The screen is good enough that any viewfinder is frankly redundant.
I think you'll find otherwise once you'll try to use the camera with longer focal lengths. But for regular focal lengths up to around 135mm, I agree that a VF is not necessary.

This sounds very promising. Can you comment more on how the LiveView experience compares to that on DSLRs - what changed, what is better?

Here were my concerns based on experience with DSLR LiveView:

- refresh rate seems slower and colors appear a bit washed out
- when zooming in, there is a noticeable image flicker - as if you see the sensor shaking
- the SR noise

Are all these addressed in the K-01?

02-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah the group shots were triggered by the Pentax infrared remote. I think Frank shot some landscapes by remote from behind the camera.

Cool. Any rear sensor for the camera?
02-04-2012, 11:19 AM - 3 Likes   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
If by "Pass!" you mean I wouldn't use it, I'd agree.
It's extremely grainy considering you resized it. Compared to the X-Pro1's ISO6400 at f/3.2 1/250 (First full-res Fujifilm X-Pro1 images appear on the web: Digital Photography Review too bad they removed the full size images but it wasn't bad to pixel peep), it seems worse..and possibly even worse than the K-5 at ISO6400? I though the sensor would be better in dim light.
The Macro shot looks great and I'd agree Pentax should strongly consider making the all black version to hide the snorkel tube.

Did you guys try AF-C at all? Curious what those extra AF points buy you for the folks that complain about the focus tracking ability of the K-5. And could you do the AF point test to see if they shrank the AF point size? I'm guessing they did because they added so many of them...that'd be another thing to look forward to for the K-5 replacement.
Please get real and compare apples to apples.
The shot of the girl with the K-01 was a quick snapshot handheld in almost total darkness (1/8 sec at f/2.8 at ISO 6400 is EV 0). It was so dark that it was difficult to make out if the focus point was correct, much less make out her features.

The photo from the Fuji X-Pro 1 that you refer to isn't even that dark (about 5 stops brighter, different subject, different exposure), so it is pretty lame to come to any definitive conclusion as to which camera performs better. :ugh:
02-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Guys, thanks for posting about the first hand experience! You sure seem to have an active Pentax community in Singapore.

02-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #110

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
I have tried. I have a Fuji FinePix S700 P&S that has an LCD screen and viewfinder. I can't use the LCD screen because I have to hold my head up at an angle to see it with my bifocals, and that really strains my neck. Shooting at something low is not a problem, but trying to hold it at eye level my head has to be at a 45 degree angle to see the screen. I prefer a viewfinder.
How about an external viewfinder? I use the LCDVF, but it has now diopter adjustment, but others do. I prefer the LCDVF though as it mounts only via a magnet frame you put on the screen (which can be taken off an no marks on the camera or screen). Taking it on and off the camera is hassle free and only takes an instant.
02-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have tried. I have a Fuji FinePix S700 P&S that has an LCD screen and viewfinder. I can't use the LCD screen because I have to hold my head up at an angle to see it with my bifocals, and that really strains my neck. Shooting at something low is not a problem, but trying to hold it at eye level my head has to be at a 45 degree angle to see the screen. I prefer a viewfinder.
It is pretty pointless to use a point and shoot camera as a point of reference and come to a conclusion because LCD screens vary greatly between cameras.
Don't make snap judgements until you've tried the K-01.
02-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yyyzzz Quote
Without a viewfinder, an articulated screen would have been better. Would be hard to MF and long lenses. ONE important thing: Pentax needs to make the logo look consistent. The font (PENTAX) used on K-01 is much better.
how is an articulated screen better in manual-focusing and long lenses?

02-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Hey guys, thanks for this very informative thread. I'm still not sure the K-01 is for me, but I think it could be quite a strong product.
02-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #114
Veteran Member

to the Pentax Singapore group, considering the beta firmware, is the K-01 focusing much better or accurate compared to the K-5 ? is the success rate much better? are the pictures much in focus or sharper compared to the K-5? I ask this because the Nex5n images look sharper and in focus compared to the K-5. if the K-01 does much better than the K-5, then the K-01 is something to really be considered seriously, especially for it's price.
02-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #115
Veteran Member

It is pretty pointless to use a point and shoot camera as a point of reference and come to a conclusion because LCD screens vary greatly between cameras.
Don't make snap judgements until you've tried the K-01.

You don't get the point. I can't see anything close up with my top distance lens on my glasses, I have to use the bottom bifocal. Doesn't matter how good the LCD screen is if you can't see it. It would be nothing but a big blur. It's not a snap judgement, it's a fact.
02-04-2012, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This camera is a Home Run!

May as well throw in my 2 cents on the K-01. It looks ok, although I like the old style looks myself. My problem is no viewfinder. I don't think it's been mentioned, but I think this will be a problem for eyeglass wearers like me. I wear bifocals, and there is no way I can use a LCD screen for focus and composition, too much strain on my neck to hold my head up to see the screen. I also wear prescription sunglasses that are not bifocal, only distance lens. I wear these outside, so to use the K-01 outside I would constantly have to remove my sunglasses and put on my bifocals. This camera is not for us old folks with bad eyesight.
If you have a smaller film SLR like a MESuper, try this.

Hold the camera in the classic fashion shown in a SLR instruction manual - left palm cradling the base, right hand around the side, thumb on back (where K-01 buttons are) finger on release.

Holding your elbows in at your sides with a strong stance (left foot slightly forward), bring the camera up to CHIN LEVEL 6"-10" away from you face - NOT ARMS' LENGTH - and look slightly down at the film holder frame. Imagine that is a LCD.

Hold the position until your arms are actually tired. I got seven minutes.

I wear trifocals, bifocal progressive prescription sunglasses and I have cataracts (for three more weeks) and glaucoma. My conclusion from my experiment is I will be able to use the LCD exclusively, without needing to hold the camera at arms' length.

That only works because the camera is LARGER AND HEAVIER than the NEX-style EVF cameras everyone is so enamored of. There's actually enough volume in the body to hold this camera like it is an SLR. That's a really great thing!!

I DON'T WANT An EVF OR OVF on this camera. I don't NEED an EVF OR OVF on this camera. They're never as good as an SLR VF anyway. Save that for the K-r replacement I bet they announce at CP+ and the K-5 replacement coming this summer.

I want all the stuff that makes great images and video for $750 US. And I like the yellow (and the all-black, if we can ever get it). I believe this will be a great camera and a home run for Pentax. Mark Newson's design (form design) is actually inspired if you think the way I'm thinking.

Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-04-2012 at 12:46 PM.
02-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You don't get the point. I can't see anything close up with my top distance lens on my glasses, I have to use the bottom bifocal. Doesn't matter how good the LCD screen is if you can't see it. It would be nothing but a big blur. It's not a snap judgement, it's a fact.
I get the point. Perhaps you should get progressive prescription sunglasses. I did.

Or wait a week for the K-r replacement. This one just isn't right for you.
02-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #118
Veteran Member

Please get real
So you're saying you shouldn't have said "Pass!"? Just wondering why you thought it was good?
And it was a simple question on whether you thought it was better or worse than the K-5 sensor in the same situation...would be an easy test since you had it in your hands...

And the AF-C question was aimed at you or Frank or anyone else who has it for testing. We'd all like to know how well the 81 focus points work...and whether they're smaller.

But seriously, you say don't make judgements until trying it. I ask reasonable questions about the other features and you focus on the ISO6400 comparison? :-P
02-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Although you guys have seen enough K-01 photos, here I share a few taken by myself anyway:

I just lover to take those silver FA Limited lenses, they look pretty good on the new K-01 camera:

What a difference a lens makes...Adam should hang the photo off the main site page.... Thanks for posting Frank!
02-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #120
Forum Member

Odd that our Forum has yet to have one to review in depth !
no overnight delivery? or trust?

many of these thread negative comments were used when the 1st Pentax was seen by Contax, Leica, Nikon RF diehard users... before they clicked one.