Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #151

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Pentax Singapore should be held out as a role model. It appears that they climbed out of the box and tried something different with great success. What is irritating is that Pentax should pick up this example and run with it. Each market should find a group of users - even groups of 2 or 3 and replicate it. It would take what - 10 cameras to cover Singapore, Japan, Oz, US, Canada, Europe, Middle East, ...

Also, each of the main marketing arms should coordinate their web presentations, and possibly video introductions of the new product. Have their web stores ready to take early orders.

There are several internet based Pentax "forums". I somewhat detect that Adam was read in to some degree, but coordinate with these "outlets".

There is a lot that can be done for very little effort - it just takes some thinking, advanced planning, emails and phone calls, some coordination and things can be done very quickly - and have an extremely large positive effect!

Take 10 retirees who have an interest in Pentax and they could pull off a better product roll-out, then what has been done in the past.

For distribution here in the US, use Costco - find retirees who shoot Pentax, and set them up to talk with shoppers inside the store (just like giving out food samples) - they would love talking about their hobby, passion and the gear that they use. I think that sales would soar here in the US - at least you could hold the product first.

For CRIS - get an adequate supply of spare parts (logistics 101) and I think that turn around pretty quickly.

Think out side the box!!!!!

I feel it is more the combined effort between the local Singapore distributor and the wonderful work of the dedicated pentaxians here like Frank, Creampuff and many others that continues to engage our relatively smaller but hopefully growing group of pentax users here.

02-04-2012, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
  1. Improved video? (Full manual control, one-button record, improved frame rate support)
  2. Smaller size? (K-5 won't fit in my messenger bag comfortably due to the pentaprism. K-01 should slide right in)
  3. Cheaper? (K-01 is $749 body only, K-5 even with discounts is typically $1100)
  4. Faster? (Early reports suggest the new image processor is faster)
  5. Improved CDAF? (more usable than K-5's zoom to focus CDAF)
  6. Better MF? (Focus peaking makes manual focus much easier)
  7. Simpler? Friends and family will feel less intimidated when asked to take photos
aside from what you already stated;

>the boxy build does seem make the camera more secure to hold.
>mirrorless would eliminate mirror slaps or camera shake that would make images seems soft due to being slightly off-focus.
>double shutter cycle is not present on the K-01 (which would make sharper and on-focus images).

I think this would appeal those who haven't bought the K-5 yet more than someone who owns the K-5. the price is the difference maker here. price the K-5 around $750 and we might still see a pretty close battle. although I would still choose the K-01. I have the K-7 btw, so I'm pretty much aware of what I'm gaining with the K-01.
02-04-2012, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frosti7 Quote
another 250$? are you sure?
look that panasonic G3, it costs less, has a great EVF+Swivel screen,

And why should anyone deal with the shortcomings of the K-01, when you can get the exactly same sized K-X (which is going to be replaced within few months)?
Shooting with anything but small prime lens at arms-length is not an easy task, i wouldn't recommend it to anyone,
with such lens's a VF is a must,

I truly belive that this camera is more useless then the Q, i find it incredible that pentax managed to to produce a mirrorless and viewfinder-less camera with EXACTLY same dimensions as the DSLR K-X, here is the size comparison:

Compare camera dimensions side by side
$250 is approximately the difference in price between the Nikon J1 and V1, with the main difference between the two being the EVF in the V1. And it is a relatively low resolution EVF.

Rob
02-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #154
Veteran Member

And why should anyone deal with the shortcomings of the K-01, when you can get the exactly same sized K-X (which is going to be replaced within few months)?
Shooting with anything but small prime lens at arms-length is not an easy task, i wouldn't recommend it to anyone,

I truly belive that this camera is more useless then the Q, i find it incredible that pentax managed to to produce a mirrorless and viewfinder-less camera with EXACTLY same dimensions as the DSLR K-X, here is the size comparison:

since you make this a K-x versus K-01 debate, why not start a poll how many people would choose the K-x and K-01. then we will see how useless it is? let the numbers be the judge of that.

02-04-2012, 11:09 PM - 1 Like   #155
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I clicked the link you provided. I think that my definition of "Exactly" is a little bit different than yours.
02-05-2012, 03:11 AM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Someday more Pentax users will shoot this way! Maybe the Mayans were right, the end of the Pentax viewfinder world happens in 2012.
I myself still prefer to use viewfinder, but I kinda agree w/ what you said here. Most people still prefer using LCD screen to compose and focus when they are taking photos. Here are two quick snaps today from the Zoo (by K-01 +FA77):

And when I was taking the following photo, all the others beside me were either using phone cameras or cameras w/o viewfinder to take photos of this cute little figure:

I felt pretty good 'cause I was just like one of them, you know, using a small camera/lens and focusing w/ both hands lift up straight in front of me

Last edited by frank; 02-05-2012 at 03:18 AM.
02-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #157

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
  1. Improved video? (Full manual control, one-button record, improved frame rate support)
  2. Smaller size? (K-5 won't fit in my messenger bag comfortably due to the pentaprism. K-01 should slide right in)
  3. Cheaper? (K-01 is $749 body only, K-5 even with discounts is typically $1100)
  4. Faster? (Early reports suggest the new image processor is faster)
  5. Improved CDAF? (more usable than K-5's zoom to focus CDAF)
  6. Better MF? (Focus peaking makes manual focus much easier)
  7. Simpler? Friends and family will feel less intimidated when asked to take photos
Not full manual control for video according to Pentaxian1 on YouTube (which, AFAIK, is Pentax USA).

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxian1 @ YouTube 2 days ago:
The exposure can be controlled via aperture or shutter speed, choosing one or the other. The video file itself is limited to 25 min max recording time, which is hard coded independent of the memory card or battery power. However, it will stop recording if needed if the camera/battery get too hot.
Here: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

So it seems you have to choose Av or Sv, not M. I asked what would happen if you chose to control shutter speed and use a lens with aperture ring, but no answer on that one yet.

02-05-2012, 04:06 AM   #158
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I myself still prefer to use viewfinder, but I kinda agree w/ what you said here. Most people still prefer using LCD screen to compose and focus when they are taking photos. Here are two quick snaps today from the Zoo (by K-01 +FA77):

And when I was taking the following photo, all the others beside me were either using phone cameras or cameras w/o viewfinder to take photos of this cute little figure:

I felt pretty good 'cause I was just like one of them, you know, using a small camera/lens and focusing w/ both hands lift up straight in front of me
YES! There is the proof about what every one's talking about in another thread! Soccer moms using DSLR's that way
I bet there was a kid around her leg and a stroller with bags and things around!
02-05-2012, 04:31 AM   #159

QuoteOriginally posted by bhairavp Quote
How can you compare a viewfinder equipped Km to a Liveview only K01 in terms of battery life?
Ya, his logic is beyond my imagination......
500 shots for a single charge using LiveView is amazing, IMO.

Could OP comment on the AF system(accuracy, how it works...etc)?
Much appreciate!!!
02-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #160
Veteran Member

Some macros taken w/ the K-01 and a DFA100WR lens, I'd say it's not as easy as I expected to use LCD to compose/focus for macros:

I used the K-01 the whole trip, took quite a few testing shots. Although it's just a prototype with a firmware of v0.33 and a not-working-so-well 40mm lens (which gets disconnected so easily), I still managed to snapped some photos to share:

02-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
Not full manual control for video according to Pentaxian1 on YouTube (which, AFAIK, is Pentax USA).

Here: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

So it seems you have to choose Av or Sv, not M. I asked what would happen if you chose to control shutter speed and use a lens with aperture ring, but no answer on that one yet.
I had read the specs and came to a similar conclusion. But there have been others that have held the camera and suggest that full manual control is available. I guess we'll just have to wait and see....

p.s. - I had a buddy that was deep into Netrex in the dark ages (early 90s)
02-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #162
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Frank, those are just awesome macros and just reflects how versatile the K-01 can be in the right hands. The image quality is excellent for the price and betters many other mirrorless cameras.
02-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #163
Banned

I have the GH2 and GH1 that have EVF that I very seldom use since I only shoot video and pre-ordered the K-01 body because it will be lightyears better than my K-7 for shooting video with my K-mount lenses. If you think the K-01 is too big you must have tiny hands. Go get the NEX if you want a tiny camera without SR built in.

02-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #164
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I have the GH2 and GH1 that have EVF that I very seldom use since I only shoot video and pre-ordered the K-01 body because it will be lightyears better than my K-7 for shooting video with my K-mount lenses. If you think the K-01 is too big you must have tiny hands. Go get the NEX if you want a tiny camera without SR built in.
NEX is not camera, it's adapter for lenses.
02-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #165
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Some macros taken w/ the K-01 and a DFA100WR lens, I'd say it's not as easy as I expected to use LCD to compose/focus for macros:

I used the K-01 the whole trip, took quite a few testing shots. Although it's just a prototype with a firmware of v0.33 and a not-working-so-well 40mm lens (which gets disconnected so easily), I still managed to snapped some photos to share:

did you use focus peaking with these shots? does the K-01 have DMF? I have the Samsung NX200 which enables me to focus manually and magnify the focus point. I find this very useful for macros and shots with very thin DOF or distance. if the K-01 has this feature as well, then the K-01 would be a winner.

did you use focus peaking with these shots? does the K-01 have DMF? I have the Samsung NX200 which has DMF that enables me to focus manually and magnify the focus point. I find this very useful for macros and shots with very thin DOF or distance. it works just like a quickshift with magnification capability at the AF point. if the K-01 has this feature as well, then the K-01 would be a winner.