Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #166

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I had read the specs and came to a similar conclusion. But there have been others that have held the camera and suggest that full manual control is available. I guess we'll just have to wait and see....

p.s. - I had a buddy that was deep into Netrex in the dark ages (early 90s)
We can only hope for full manual exposure, it would be awesome I've been griping about this since I bought the K-x when it came (now sold that and have the K-5).

P.S.: Deep into Netrex? What is that? I started using it as a nick in 98 on IRC and Quake III Arena

02-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Some macros taken w/ the K-01 and a DFA100WR lens, I'd say it's not as easy as I expected to use LCD to compose/focus for macros:

I used the K-01 the whole trip, took quite a few testing shots. Although it's just a prototype with a firmware of v0.33 and a not-working-so-well 40mm lens (which gets disconnected so easily), I still managed to snapped some photos to share:

Thanks for posting the photos. It must have been fun going out to the zoo with a not released to the general public camera. Wonderful series of photos.

Dave
02-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Frank, those are just awesome macros and just reflects how versatile the K-01 can be in the right hands. The image quality is excellent for the price and betters many other mirrorless cameras.
Thanks Denis. It's a very capable camera which can produce excellent photos that's for sure. But I think I need to get one of what pinholecam used here if I use the camera for macro again:

02-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
did you use focus peaking with these shots? does the K-01 have DMF? I have the Samsung NX200 which has DMF that enables me to focus manually and magnify the focus point. I find this very useful for macros and shots with very thin DOF or distance. it works just like a quickshift with magnification capability at the AF point. if the K-01 has this feature as well, then the K-01 would be a winner.
As some said before, the focus peaking isn't available in the prototype K-01 yet (although there is a menu item to set it ON/OFF), but the focusing aid is there: you can either press the OK button to magnify (6x times) the focus point (then use rear dial to enlarge it even further), or press and hold the shutter button for about 1s, the focused portion will be magnified automatically (but camera has to be set to AF mode). When set to MF, currently we can only maginify the focus point by pressing the OK button and enlarge it further by turning the rear dial.

02-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #170
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
did you use focus peaking with these shots?
I'm curious too as I read somewhere they haven't implemented it yet in the firmware. Great results without it though.

Edit - thanks Frank, I thought it might have been you who mentioned it before as well anyway.
02-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #171
Veteran Member

As some said before, the focus peaking isn't available in the prototype K-01 yet (although there is a menu item to set it ON/OFF), but the focusing aid is there: you can either press the OK button to magnify (6x times) the focus point (then use rear dial to enlarge it even further), or press and hold the shutter button for about 1s, the focused portion will be magnified automatically (but camera has to be set to AF mode). When set to MF, currently we can only maginify the focus point by pressing the OK button and enlarge it further by turning the rear dial.
thanks Frank. this is a very useful piece of information. this would make the camera more interesting, useful and better. I wouldn't miss an EVF or OVF if the camera has this feature already. what it needs is a forehead rest on the rear for more steady handling. I think there are some of those flip-up extensions that can be attached on the back of the camera?
02-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #172
Veteran Member

thanks Frank. this is a very useful piece of information. this would make the camera more interesting, useful and better. I wouldn't miss an EVF or OVF if the camera has this feature already. what it needs is a forehead rest on the rear for more steady handling. I think there are some of those flip-up extensions that can be attached on the back of the camera?
As shown in the above photo, you can use a loup at the rear end of the camera. But the one made for K-5 doesn't fit well on this new camera. I'm sure we'd see loups made for K-01 show up on the market soon after the camera becomes available

02-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #173
Veteran Member

As shown in the above photo, you can use a loup at the rear end of the camera. But the one made for K-5 doesn't fit well on this new camera. I'm sure we'd see loups made for K-01 show up on the market soon after the camera becomes available
it doesn't necessarily be a loupe but a retractable flip up forehead rest without the magnifying optic. although they could design a flip up loupe as well. anything that would make it compact, installed and retractable on the K-01 would be much better. the loupes that are available as of the moment would also do, but anything better is much appreciated.
02-06-2012, 01:20 AM   #174

Thanks Denis. It's a very capable camera which can produce excellent photos that's for sure. But I think I need to get one of what pinholecam used here if I use the camera for macro again:
Yes! This is how I will be using the K-01, not just for macro.
02-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #175

Wow, there's some amount of threads about this camera already!

My big questions is why would I buy this when it's not much smaller than my K-7?

cheers,
pa.
02-06-2012, 05:15 AM   #176

QuoteOriginally posted by dinneenp Quote

My big questions is why would I buy this when it's not much smaller than my K-7?

cheers,
pa.
It depends what you want it for. I want it for the video capabilities, and for the focus peaking for many kinds of photography with manual focus lenses. And it's much more quiet as there is no mirror mechanism to make noise when you take a picture.
02-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #177
Veteran Member

cheers,
pa.
because other than size, it's better than the K-7.
02-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #178
Banned

cheers,
pa.
Because it is lightyears ahead of the K-7 for video use.BTW what is this crying about the size of the K-01, do you people have tiny hands or what ? Go get the NEX if you have tiny hands.

02-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Because it is lightyears ahead of the K-7 for video use.BTW what is this crying about the size of the K-01, do you people have tiny hands or what ? Go get the NEX if you have tiny hands.

That's THE shot of the K-01 so far.
02-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #180
Pentaxian

cheers,
pa.
QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
It depends what you want it for. I want it for the video capabilities, and for the focus peaking for many kinds of photography with manual focus lenses. And it's much more quiet as there is no mirror mechanism to make noise when you take a picture.
And to add to that,
1. far better sensor (K5 sensor); already worth it over the K7 for this alone.
2. Cheap (~$750 RRP)
3. Much better WYSIWYG MF capability with fast shutter response (K5/K7 implementation is slow)
4. Better in camera HDR (the K5 one is already much better than K7)