Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dinneenp Quote
Wow, there's some amount of threads about this camera already!

My big questions is why would I buy this when it's not much smaller than my K-7?

cheers,
pa.
A much better 16MP sensor, for one thing. And if you have seen the comparison photos between the K-7 and the K-01 linked below, you would see that the K-01 is actually quite a bit smaller, although clearly not in the micro4/3 class. OTOH, if you require an OVF or EVF, the K-01 is not for you.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#285,239,ha Be sure to click on the top view as well.
http://camerasize.com/compare/#285,239

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 02-06-2012 at 12:24 PM.
02-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #182
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
And to add to that,
1. far better sensor (K5 sensor); already worth it over the K7 for this alone.
2. Cheap (~$750 RRP)
3. Much better WYSIWYG MF capability with fast shutter response (K5/K7 implementation is slow)
4. Better in camera HDR (the K5 one is already much better than K7)
It seems to me it's new version of this sensor. Pentax says " newly developed sensor"
02-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
A much better 16MP sensor, for one thing. And if you have seen the comparison photos between the K-7 and the K-01 linked below, you would see that the K-01 is actually quite a bit smaller, although clearly not in the micro4/3 class. OTOH, if you require an OVF or EVF, the K-01 is not for you.

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Rob
now that you mentioned this, I think the K-01 is smaller but stockier. although being stocky I think has nothing to do with it really being bigger but being more evenly in dimension. the K-5 and K-7 have protruding parts of the camera which can be a hindrance or takes unnecessary space on the camera bag.
02-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #184
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It seems to me it's new version of this sensor. Pentax says " newly developed sensor"
We don't yet know what this means. For instance, Fuji performed a major modification of the Sony 16MP sensor in their new X-Pro 1, so that it does not require an AA filter. I doubt that Pentax have gone quite that far, but I would bet that they are using a variation of the sensor in the K-5. Perhaps it has been optimized for video. In any event, it would be quite impressive if it outperforms the K-5, in which case, I would love to see them utilize it in a K-5S, which I would much prefer to a new camera with the Sony 24MP sensor.

Rob

02-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #185

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
We don't yet know what this means. For instance, Fuji performed a major modification of the Sony 16MP sensor in their new X-Pro 1, so that it does not require an AA filter. I doubt that Pentax have gone quite that far, but I would bet that they are using a variation of the sensor in the K-5. Perhaps it has been optimized for video. In any event, it would be quite impressive if it outperforms the K-5, in which case, I would love to see them utilize it in a K-5S, which I would much prefer to a new camera with the Sony 24MP sensor.

Rob
A 24MP sensor would be horrible for APS-C. I really don't want that, unless it's a leap of many generations in technology so ISO performance and dynamic range isn't worsened :P

I could take the K-5 with 10 MP and have the same amount of data going through it (about 11 FPS) and better ISO performance and dynamic range (though the dynamic range of ISO 80 is very good now, and ISO performance of course :P
02-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Thanks Denis. It's a very capable camera which can produce excellent photos that's for sure. But I think I need to get one of what pinholecam used here if I use the camera for macro again:
While walking around a group of Pentax users, you'll know who are the ones using a K-01 when you see a red suction mark on their face
02-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
While walking around a group of Pentax users, you'll know who are the ones using a K-01 when you see a red suction mark on their face
I am SOOOO putting black marker ink on that eyepiece when I see one..........!

02-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #188

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Hah, mine has padding :P (LCDVF).
02-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #189
Pentaxian

Any experience regarding usability yet?

I have a couple of questions to those who have been able to actually handle the K-01. I'd be grateful to hear from your experience regarding usability.

When I saw the placement of the exposure compensation button I immediately thought that this cannot allow comfortable usage in combination with the rear dial. And indeed, the reviewer of the first K-01 hands on video criticised the placement of the exposure compensation button as well. For those who have used the K-01: Don't you wish the button wouldn't force you to bend your index finger that much? Or do you use the camera in some different way?

I like the visual appeal of the on/off switch but it seems that switching the camera on is most naturally achieved with the thumb. This would mean, though, that the index finger is not immediately over the shutter release button as it would with the conventional Pentax on/off switch. Do you use your index finger to switch the camera on, or do you hold your K-01 like a steering wheel, operating the shutter release button with your thumb (in which case the on/off switch design may make sense after fall).

I'm genuinely interested in hearing from actual K-01 users to what extent you could imagine the K-01 to be more ergonomic.

Thanks in advance.
02-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #190
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
A 24MP sensor would be horrible for APS-C. I really don't want that, unless it's a leap of many generations in technology so ISO performance and dynamic range isn't worsened :P
http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/132601/35882x2DrjaPV0i/8oQCmknK30/728192.jpg
it seems to me - it's cool sensor.
02-07-2012, 03:12 AM   #191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I have a couple of questions to those who have been able to actually handle the K-01. I'd be grateful to hear from your experience regarding usability.

When I saw the placement of the exposure compensation button I immediately thought that this cannot allow comfortable usage in combination with the rear dial. And indeed, the reviewer of the first K-01 hands on video criticised the placement of the exposure compensation button as well. For those who have used the K-01: Don't you wish the button wouldn't force you to bend your index finger that much? Or do you use the camera in some different way?

I like the visual appeal of the on/off switch but it seems that switching the camera on is most naturally achieved with the thumb. This would mean, though, that the index finger is not immediately over the shutter release button as it would with the conventional Pentax on/off switch. Do you use your index finger to switch the camera on, or do you hold your K-01 like a steering wheel, operating the shutter release button with your thumb (in which case the on/off switch design may make sense after fall).

I'm genuinely interested in hearing from actual K-01 users to what extent you could imagine the K-01 to be more ergonomic.

Thanks in advance.
When you hold a camera like K-01, you'd automatically adjust your hands and hold it like this (it's one of our buddy friends and a long time Pentax user):

I've played the camera for a couple of days, taken over 300 photos. To be honest I don't have any uncomfortable feeling about the on/off switch. Actually I feel it's not easy to accidently turn on/off the camera as the way it is on the K-01. But I do find that I forgot to switch it off a few times, probably because the LCD screen is set to be off after 1min idle time, and there is no other indicator on the camera to show the on/off status.

As to the exposure compensation button, it's a toggle button on K-01. You press it once, it'd toggle to exposure adjustment so you can do EV adjustment by turning the rear dial. Press it again will switch back to aperture adjustment (Av mode of course). The toggle status is clearly shown on the LCD screen. My Panasonic G3 works exactly the same way, so I don't have any problem with that. Actually I almost forgot that my K5 works differently (have to press down the EV button and turn the rear dial at the same time to adjust EV compensation), probably because I've been using the G3 a lot more often than my K5 nowadays.

Hope I've answered your questions. Please feel free to ask here if you have any other questions, I'd be more than happy to answer, if I can.

Last edited by frank; 02-07-2012 at 03:18 AM.
02-07-2012, 03:23 AM   #192
ogl
Banned

AF speed - I think it's faster than K-5 in LV? right?
AF adjustment - is there? is it need?
AF in video? How good?

Last edited by ogl; 02-07-2012 at 04:44 AM.
02-07-2012, 04:08 AM   #193

Not as many differences I think...

You forget the negatives, no Tv and Av modes.
  1. Video? Sure, but I have another camera for video...
  2. K-01 is smaller, but not by much: Compare camera dimensions side by side
  3. Cheaper, but no Tv, Av, EVF. That's worth $200 to me. So not 'really' cheaper. K-5 is $979 (google it. Xmas sales were around that price too).
  4. I don't care about MF in a camera with no Tv, Av, or EVF. Seriously? I swapped the focusing screen on my k2000 to better MF. Would I do the same to a K-5 or K-01? Nope.

Seems like a make or break list. Looks kind of like a neutered K-5 by specs. Don't want to be a hater, but the price point and difference between the K-5 seem negligible....

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
  1. Improved video? (Full manual control, one-button record, improved frame rate support)
  2. Smaller size? (K-5 won't fit in my messenger bag comfortably due to the pentaprism. K-01 should slide right in)
  3. Cheaper? (K-01 is $749 body only, K-5 even with discounts is typically $1100)
  4. Faster? (Early reports suggest the new image processor is faster)
  5. Improved CDAF? (more usable than K-5's zoom to focus CDAF)
  6. Better MF? (Focus peaking makes manual focus much easier)
  7. Simpler? Friends and family will feel less intimidated when asked to take photos
02-07-2012, 04:10 AM   #194
Pentaxian

Thanks a lot for your response, Frank!

To be honest I don't have any uncomfortable feeling about the on/off switch.
Do you switch it on with your thumb or the index finger?

As to the exposure compensation button, it's a toggle button on K-01.
I thought that may be the case. It helps to alleviate the placement issue, but I feel the toggle steps prevent the handling from being as fluid as it could have been with the usual "press & turn" approach.

Thanks again for your response. It seems you guys are having a lot of fun with the K-01 and it is great to see such an enthusiastic distributor (Emjay).
02-07-2012, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #195
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by koguma Quote
You forget the negatives, no Tv and Av modes.

1. Video? Sure, but I have another camera for video...
  2. K-01 is smaller, but not by much: Compare camera dimensions side by side
  3. Cheaper, but no Tv, Av, EVF. That's worth $200 to me. So not 'really' cheaper. K-5 is $979 (google it. Xmas sales were around that price too).
    K-01 - USD900 is price with 40XS. USD750 is price for body, K-5 is still USD1200
  4. I don't care about MF in a camera with no Tv, Av, or EVF. Seriously? I swapped the focusing screen on my k2000 to better MF. Would I do the same to a K-5 or K-01? Nope.

Seems like a make or break list. Looks kind of like a neutered K-5 by specs. Don't want to be a hater, but the price point and difference between the K-5 seem negligible....

So strange post. K-01 has Av and Tv.