Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by koguma Quote
You forget the negatives, no Tv and Av modes.
  1. Video? Sure, but I have another camera for video...
  2. K-01 is smaller, but not by much: Compare camera dimensions side by side
  3. Cheaper, but no Tv, Av, EVF. That's worth $200 to me. So not 'really' cheaper. K-5 is $979 (google it. Xmas sales were around that price too).
  4. I don't care about MF in a camera with no Tv, Av, or EVF. Seriously? I swapped the focusing screen on my k2000 to better MF. Would I do the same to a K-5 or K-01? Nope.

Seems like a make or break list. Looks kind of like a neutered K-5 by specs. Don't want to be a hater, but the price point and difference between the K-5 seem negligible....
It's hard to find a dedicated video camera which has such a big sensor at such a price.
K01 is indeed smaller and boxier, easier to carry or put in or take out of camera bags.
Don't know where you got the idea that it doesn't have Tv/Av mode?
a lot people love to adapter all kinds of lenses on Sony NX and m4/3 cameras, most of these cameras don't even come w EVF, and more than 95% users never bother to get the expensive add-on EVF

After a few days play, the only negatives I can think of now are: no touch screen, rubber cover might not last long enough, focusing is a bit slow (comparing w my G3). Optional EVF will be great for some others, especially those existing Pentax SLR users, but probably not important for most new Pentaxians.

02-07-2012, 05:09 AM   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Thanks a lot for your response, Frank!

Do you switch it on with your thumb or the index finger?

I thought that may be the case. It helps to alleviate the placement issue, but I feel the toggle steps prevent the handling from being as fluid as it could have been with the usual "press & turn" approach.

Thanks again for your response. It seems you guys are having a lot of fun with the K-01 and it is great to see such an enthusiastic distributor (Emjay).
I use index finger to switch on the camera, thumb to switch it off, not as we use to do w K5. That might be the reason that I forgot to switch it off sometimes.

The toggle steps might be easier than you think

Last edited by frank; 02-07-2012 at 05:15 AM.
02-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
A 24MP sensor would be horrible for APS-C. I really don't want that, unless it's a leap of many generations in technology so ISO performance and dynamic range isn't worsened :P

I could take the K-5 with 10 MP and have the same amount of data going through it (about 11 FPS) and better ISO performance and dynamic range (though the dynamic range of ISO 80 is very good now, and ISO performance of course :P
Actually, the sample images from the Sony NEX 7, which uses a 24MP APS-C sensor, are anything but horrible. They do show more pixel level noise than the K-5 at ISO 1600 and above, but there would probably not be a noticeable difference with comparably sized images or with downsampling of the 24MP to 16MP. Dynamic range of the 24MP sensor has yet to be determined, as far as I know. At the lower end of the ISO scale, images are clean, and detail is stupendous.

That said, I think that 24MP is overkill for the kind of photography that I do and the size of prints that I make. Furthermore, I would not look forward to dealing with the larger file size that would come from the higher resolution sensor, and I might be forced to upgrade my computer in order to process them at a reasonable speed. If the K-5 successor does, in fact, utilize the 24MP sensor, I will wait to see how well Pentax implements it before making up my mind. I do not rule it out, but I think that I would prefer an updated version of the 16MP sensor from the K-5. That is what Fuji has chosen for their X-Pro 1, for which they make the as yet unproven claim that it equals or outperforms FF.

Rob
02-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #199
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I use index finger to switch on the camera, thumb to switch it off, not as we use to do w K5. That might be the reason that I forgot to switch it off sometimes.

The toggle steps might be easier than you think
Answer to my questions, please.

02-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
AF speed - I think it's faster than K-5 in LV? right?
AF adjustment - is there? is it need?
AF in video? How good?
Yes, AF is slightly faster than K5 in LV when set to contrast detection AF
There is no AF adjustment
Yes, can do AF in video, but it's slow amd noisy (I only tested w FA77, but I suspect most other AF lenses would be the same except SDM/HSM or DC lenses). Remeber, the K01 we tested is a prototype w firmware version v0.33 only.
02-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #201
ogl
Banned

Thanks
02-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #202
MSM
Veteran Member

Daddy Likes!

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That's THE shot of the K-01 so far.
+1

What a difference switching the lens makes on the appearance of the K-01.

02-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #203
Veteran Member

Don't know where you got the idea that it doesn't have Tv/Av mode?
The poster was probably thinking about the lack of Sv and TAv
02-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #204
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
That was what I thought, though he worded it wrongly.
But then that means any camera before K7 (which introduced TAv mode), he wouldn't care/want to use
02-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #205
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Interesting modes. Never use it...To say honest. Av and P are better for me.
02-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #206

Answer to my questions, please.
What a nice way to ask. I would thumb down your post if I could.

Yes, AF is slightly faster than K5 in LV when set to contrast detection AF
There is no AF adjustment
Yes, can do AF in video, but it's slow amd noisy (I only tested w FA77, but I suspect most other AF lenses would be the same except SDM/HSM or DC lenses). Remeber, the K01 we tested is a prototype w firmware version v0.33 only.
Why would there be AF adjustment when it's CDAF which uses the image straight from the sensor and not phase detection.
02-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #207
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
What a nice way to ask. I would thumb down your post if I could.

Why would there be AF adjustment when it's CDAF which uses the image straight from the sensor and not phase detection.
It was just control question
02-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #208
Veteran Member

Interesting modes. Never use it...To say honest. Av and P are better for me.
I don't even know what Sv and Tav does... either Av or M for me.....
02-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #209

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
That was what I thought, though he worded it wrongly.
But then that means any camera before K7 (which introduced TAv mode), he wouldn't care/want to use
TAV was available on the K10D and K20D.
02-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I don't even know what Sv and Tav does... either Av or M for me.....
probably Pentax figured out that these are the least used shooting modes. Av, M and EV compensation are more than enough.