Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #211
Banned

Photos: Gallery
TAv is actually very wel to use with K-5 because you can use the hi-iso's with that sensor. I use it for sports.

02-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
TAv is actually very wel to use with K-5 because you can use the hi-iso's with that sensor. I use it for sports.
I'm googling for what Tav mode does (google loads up some PF forum threads, interestingly) and it seems to be auto-ISO?
02-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
You got that right, we are indeed a very happy bunch
Where are the female Pentaxians?

02-07-2012, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #214

LaurenOE, I was wondering the same thing. Not surprised, though, since many forums seem to be male-dominated. Females are too often mentioned as holders of purse strings, or only interested in P&S, no desire for more sophisticated cams, etc. This thread at least is better than most of the other comments I've been reading about the K-01. The OP and his group supplied useful information about the camera's IQ and abilities.

02-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #215
MSM
Veteran Member

@Frank:
1)Has anyone tried using an M42 Tak on the K-01? I would love to use some of the old MF lenses. Does the brightness on the LCD increase as the Aperture is stopped down? It is so hard to stop down on the screwmounts on the K-x as the finder gets so dark.

2)Also, I am kind of confused regarding the differing AF systems. CDAF v. PDAF. Which is better? I realize the the K-01 is CDAF and people say that it is faster than the K5 in live view. My K-x has LV too. Focusing in LV on the K-x is quite slow. Am I safe to assume that there is a huge difference between the K-x and K-01 in that regard?

3)Is it true as I have seen posted that since there is no mirror/PDAF that there is no issue with FF/BF?

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I especially love the pictures with the various limiteds mounted. As another poster mentioned, Pentax would have been much better off having debuted this model with another lens. The 31 mm limited (silver) pictured on the Black K-01 is actually pretty decent looking! I am definitely warming up to this as a replacement to the K-x.
02-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Out taking photos on their own, and not hanging out in camera clubs.

It's the same online. I'm always struck by the number of females using Pentax (and other brand) cameras on flickr, but you rarely see females hanging out on any camera forums.
02-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
@Frank:
1)Has anyone tried using an M42 Tak on the K-01? I would love to use some of the old MF lenses. Does the brightness on the LCD increase as the Aperture is stopped down? It is so hard to stop down on the screwmounts on the K-x as the finder gets so dark.

2)Also, I am kind of confused regarding the differing AF systems. CDAF v. PDAF. Which is better? I realize the the K-01 is CDAF and people say that it is faster than the K5 in live view. My K-x has LV too. Focusing in LV on the K-x is quite slow. Am I safe to assume that there is a huge difference between the K-x and K-01 in that regard?

3)Is it true as I have seen posted that since there is no mirror/PDAF that there is no issue with FF/BF?

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I especially love the pictures with the various limiteds mounted. As another poster mentioned, Pentax would have been much better off having debuted this model with another lens. The 31 mm limited (silver) pictured on the Black K-01 is actually pretty decent looking! I am definitely warming up to this as a replacement to the K-x.
Yes, I tried my SMC Takumar 85/1.8 on the new camera, LCD screen won't become darker when stopping down the lens.

Focusing is definitely faster than Kx in LV mode, but not as fast as Kx when focusing through the viewfinder.

Theoretically CDFA won't have BF/FF issue, but how accurate the AF is, need to wait and see the final released product.

I agree w you, those FA limited lenses would make any camera look pretty

02-07-2012, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote

we have quite a few lady Pentaxians joining our monthly outing sometimes, but not as regularly as most guys. Here is one pretty lady Pentax user, but she was late during the day, so she had to model for us

02-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #219

So much negativity about the camera on this forum. You guys need to get a grip. [Sarcasm]Oh good God, no TaV, what an absolute travesty![/Sarcasm]

I think it looks like a spectacular camera to bring new users to the Pentax line. Offers new users the option to use the same lenses between this and their SLR, which is awesome.
02-07-2012, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #220
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sweendiggs Quote
So much negativity about the camera on this forum. You guys need to get a grip. [Sarcasm]Oh good God, no TaV, what an absolute travesty![/Sarcasm]

I think it looks like a spectacular camera to bring new users to the Pentax line. Offers new users the option to use the same lenses between this and their SLR, which is awesome.
+1
I like it how one poster remarked to another that he was like a cancer (doing damage from the interior).
there will be other Pentax camera models to buy, why must every model please everyone (which these folks here seem to expect).

Should a D700 user lament and condemn Nikon cause the D5100 was "Not the camera I wanted"; "lacks AF motor, FF sensor and whatnot"?
No, he goes on using his D700, knowing that the other camera is for another market segment.
02-07-2012, 11:23 PM   #221
MSM
Veteran Member

Thanks a lot Frank for the info. This camera is looking like a nice option for me despite what others may say. I agree with the poster above. This doesn't have to be the camera for everyone. I think that we have become used to getting so few releases that each one that is not for us becomes that much more of a wait and painful. Seems that this is all changing. Thanks Ricoh
02-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #222
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Yes, I tried my SMC Takumar 85/1.8 on the new camera, LCD screen won't become darker when stopping down the lens.

Focusing is definitely faster than Kx in LV mode, but not as fast as Kx when focusing through the viewfinder.

Theoretically CDFA won't have BF/FF issue, but how accurate the AF is, need to wait and see the final released product.

I agree w you, those FA limited lenses would make any camera look pretty
Do you have any info about new pancake for K-01 (not 40XS).
02-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Do you have any info about new pancake for K-01 (not 40XS).
No, I only saw the news this morning, and I don't know much about the new lens except it looks like a mocked up DA40 Ltd...
02-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #224
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frosti7 Quote
another 250$? are you sure?
look that panasonic G3, it costs less, has a great EVF+Swivel screen,

And why should anyone deal with the shortcomings of the K-01, when you can get the exactly same sized K-X (which is going to be replaced within few months)?
Shooting with anything but small prime lens at arms-length is not an easy task, i wouldn't recommend it to anyone,
with such lens's a VF is a must,

I truly belive that this camera is more useless then the Q, i find it incredible that pentax managed to to produce a mirrorless and viewfinder-less camera with EXACTLY same dimensions as the DSLR K-X, here is the size comparison:

Compare camera dimensions side by side
Seriously, where in the world are you getting the idea that they are the same size??? The K-x is 35% larger. (Try math. It works!) Unless you have some sort of "sawed-off" K-x???
02-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #225

I stand corrected. There was an earlier post saying it was missing that. That does change things somewhat.