Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

So, why NOT make a thinner K-01 with an adapter?

This is not a complaining question, I just must be missing something.

Two of the biggest complaints about the K-01 are the lack of a viewfinder, and the large size for mirrorless. Overall, functionally, I really like the K-01 and think it has some great potential, but these two issues seem like very legitimate questions without good answers.

Is it possible to use the HDMI Out for a hot shoe mounted viewfinder? If so, then I think that would help there. If not, then why not have some kind of output jack for an EVF? Is it that expensive to include?

Why NOT make the body thinner and provide an adapter to use k-mount lenses? My understanding is that in order to us k-mount lenses, you need a minimum distance between the back of the lens and the sensor. Other manufacturers either went with an adapter or just do not allow the use of old lenses, right? It seems an adapter would be a simple thing to allow the body to be much thinner. Are there any advantages to the thicker body? Is there something Pentax can fit into their camera with the thicker body that other manufacturers can’t? Doesn’t the current design force Pentax to make future lenses for the K-01 bigger because of this? I don’t know anything about how others have designed their adapters, but it seems that it should be simple. It just seems like I must be missing some benefit of making such a chunky, ugly body, requiring bigger lenses.

My last question is, what are the advantages of the mirrorless design other than being able to make the camera smaller? From reading this forum, it seems that everyone seems to think that Pentax has missed the biggest benefit of mirrorless which is size reduction. Pentax has obviously decided that size reduction is not the biggest benefit, since this K-01 is not much smaller than some of their other DSLRs. Can you folks please let me know the other advantages of mirrorless design? An obvious thing that comes to mind is that you lose the clunking sound of the mirror. Does getting rid of the mirror make higher flash synch speeds easier? The sych speed is still 1/180 though.

02-04-2012, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Banned

Here is why !

Sony has a $400 adapter with no SR to use on the NEX with Sony A mount lenses.

LA-EA2 Sony A NEX Camera Mount Adapter, Attach A-mount Lenses to E-mount Camera Body.

02-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Sony has a $400 adapter with no SR to use on the NEX with Sony A mount lenses.

LA-EA2 Sony A NEX Camera Mount Adapter, Attach A-mount Lenses to E-mount Camera Body.

You also lose almost a full stop with it.

Sony LA-EA2 Helps Turn Your NEX into an Unwieldy Camera
02-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm guessing that had to be that big and expensive because of the whole translucent mirror thing. Also the fact that it says Sony on it. Would a massive, expensive adapter be necessary for Pentax? What do the other companies adapters look like?

02-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No mirror I guess I understand, although I do like optically viewing the actual subject. Eyes have more resolution than EVF's.

I really don't understand the desire to make cameras so thin and small. Taken to the ridiculous extreme they might as well double as refrigerator magnets.
02-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
I'm guessing that had to be that big and expensive because of the whole translucent mirror thing. Also the fact that it says Sony on it. Would a massive, expensive adapter be necessary for Pentax? What do the other companies adapters look like?
Are you that weak you can't use a camera the size of the K-01 ?
02-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
What do the other companies adapters look like?
There aren't really any other auto-focus adapter out there. And if there were they would add several hundred dollars to the price.

Sony also makes the LA-EA1 that won't AF screw-drive lenses.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/712886-REG/Sony_LAEA1_Alpha_LA_EA1_Camera_Mount.html

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-04-2012 at 09:30 AM.
02-04-2012, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

As someone pointed out elsewhere, most people assume that removing the mirror was to reduce size. However, Pentax has removed the mirror just to reduce costs. How else can one get a kick ass K5 sensor in a body that starts out at MSRP of 749? Even though this camera may not be for those of us used to dslrs, I think Pentax hit a home run with this one. It will hopefully bring many more people into the brand. Even if the number of people trickling in is slow at first the brand would soon have a good following. They probably did not have to spend a lot on the manufacturing, so even a small sale is pretty good. The design is definitely pretty cool and people may warm up to it once they see the performance. We are not the target audience - so many here may never get it.
02-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I am thinking the same as the OP although I am not debating whether it is a technically feasible to make one while keeping the camera less chunky. A new mount with an option to use k-mount (bundle with adaptor) would be really an attractive option; again, only if it economically and technically feasible.
02-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
As someone pointed out elsewhere, most people assume that removing the mirror was to reduce size. However, Pentax has removed the mirror just to reduce costs. How else can one get a kick ass K5 sensor in a body that starts out at MSRP of 749? Even though this camera may not be for those of us used to dslrs, I think Pentax hit a home run with this one. It will hopefully bring many more people into the brand. Even if the number of people trickling in is slow at first the brand would soon have a good following. They probably did not have to spend a lot on the manufacturing, so even a small sale is pretty good. The design is definitely pretty cool and people may warm up to it once they see the performance. We are not the target audience - so many here may never get it.
If the k-01 is targeted for the would be T3i and D5100 buyers, then I think it is definitely an attractive alternative option. I believe it is...
02-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Ny using the K mount, Pentax is staying with it's reputation for good backwards compatibility. Also, had they changed the flange distance, then they would have had to release a new lens line upon release of the camera. Overall, I agree with their decision to stay with the k mount.
02-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, if the only adapter out there for APS-C mirrorless cameras is the Sony one at $400, and for the K-01, the adapter would need to be a similar size and cost, then I think that answers the question of why not rather effectively. I don't know anything about the technology of this. I thought it could be much smaller, looking much more like a current 1.4x teleconverter without glass elements in it. I thought the only things it needed to do was move the lens out and provide the electrical contacts.
02-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There aren't really any other auto-focus adapter out there. And if there were they would add several hundred dollars to the price.

Sony also makes the LA-EA1 that won't AF screw-drive lenses.

Sony Alpha LA-EA1 Camera Mount Adapter LAEA1 B&H Photo Video
Oh, sorry, I hadn't seen this. Yes, this is closer to what I thought it would look like, without the tripod collar. This Sony one ks only $129, why couldn't Pentax have come up with something like that for under $100?
02-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Maybe they didn't make it thinner because it would mean that they would have the change the mount. Imagine the complaints they would get, that they do not have enough lenses. and all the people saying they will change brands if they do not get up to speed with new lenses for this system
02-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

It's not really in the interest of Pentax. A shorter registration distance either requires designing a new line of lenses or adding an adapter that increases the price of the product (no, the price of the body will not really go down if it's smaller); a quality adapter for e.g Samsung NX costs around 120 Euro (to Minolta MD)

I think that the current approach is the right one for the customer who straight away has access to a world of current and old Pentax lenses.