Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I guess the K-01 will be one persons trash and another persons treasure. Show me a link to another camera that does 1080p30,25,24 720p60 HD video and has SR built in for the 25 million K-mount lenses out there.
Show me a link to a survey that shows there are enough people out who have expressed a need for a camera that does that and not much else, and who want it butt ugly, to make this thing take off.

02-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #47
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Show me a link to a survey that shows there are enough people out who have expressed a need for a camera that does that and not much else, and who want it butt ugly, to make this thing take off.
Right, it's now 2012 and video is just a fad just like youtube and Vimeo.
02-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Sorry guys, I'm wrong. I would like to blame it on being smashed after partying last night, but I was on the wrong track even before my last post. I actually own a Kenko PZ convertor that supports screw drive. But surely a built-in screw drive would add bulk to the body, so it would not be Nex sized, and we all want SR, which adds depth also. The K-01 is still smaller than the smallest DSLR, and
- Pentax doesn't have another series of lenses to support
- K-mount owners don't have to spend money on, or carry an adapter
- Pentax continues to show its loyalty to K-mount, which is frequently cited as an advantage by Pentax users
- Another K-mount body helps sell Pentax lenses instead of other manufacturers (contributes to Pentax profit and longevity)
- A mirrorless mount would be a me-too product. Pentax is different
- Ricoh has the GXR with M-mount, which does what you think the K-01 should do, accomodates other makers' lenses.
You did touch on a couple of other ideas why it might not be easy to do that I was thinking but didn't really post about. with shake reduction and screw drive and such it might be hard to go much thinner (though I would imagine it might be possible to set the lens mount back some without drastically reducing the body size). I vaguely remember glancing at info on the grx when it was released and didn't have much interest. I wasn't aware at the time of it being adaptable to other lenses though. Were I able to afford 2 bodies/cameras I would seriously consider the gxr but I'm going to have to save for a while to get one and there are a few fatal points that rule out the gxr for me (maybe, I have only briefly looked into it). No native support for any existing lens system (and more specifically no native support for k mount). By native I mean full function with AF etc. My ist-ds is a poor high iso performer. My next camera/body will have to have very good high iso and SR. That is the primary reason I even want to upgrade. I have seen mixed reports about the gxr high iso performance (like I said I have only read up a little so I could be wrong), but it doesn't seem to compete with dslr's. Of course, now that ricoh owns pentax, might a fully functional k mount module come along? That might swing things in the other direction a bit for me....

Its too bad there is not a camera with the best of the grx and the k-01 combined. Of course, since both cameras are now owned by the same company, who knows what will eventually come along?
02-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The 40mm XS mounts on any Pentax DSLR.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1810702-post248.html
Early on I got the impression otherwise, from this quote:
QuoteQuote:
The new dedicated SMC Pentax-DA XS (extra slim?) lenses will only work with the K-01 and are specially designed for it by Marc Newson. The kit lens is the DA 40mm F2.8 XS, which is a unifocal lens:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/173560-official-pentax-...ml#post1800856

Still, even if they will work with other DSLRS, they are making a brand new lenses anyway, so they could have designed one for a shallower depth.

02-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
This is not a complaining question, I just must be missing something.

Two of the biggest complaints about the K-01 are the lack of a viewfinder, and the large size for mirrorless. Overall, functionally, I really like the K-01 and think it has some great potential, but these two issues seem like very legitimate questions without good answers.

Is it possible to use the HDMI Out for a hot shoe mounted viewfinder? If so, then I think that would help there. If not, then why not have some kind of output jack for an EVF? Is it that expensive to include?

Why NOT make the body thinner and provide an adapter to use k-mount lenses? My understanding is that in order to us k-mount lenses, you need a minimum distance between the back of the lens and the sensor. Other manufacturers either went with an adapter or just do not allow the use of old lenses, right? It seems an adapter would be a simple thing to allow the body to be much thinner. Are there any advantages to the thicker body? Is there something Pentax can fit into their camera with the thicker body that other manufacturers can’t? Doesn’t the current design force Pentax to make future lenses for the K-01 bigger because of this? I don’t know anything about how others have designed their adapters, but it seems that it should be simple. It just seems like I must be missing some benefit of making such a chunky, ugly body, requiring bigger lenses.

My last question is, what are the advantages of the mirrorless design other than being able to make the camera smaller? From reading this forum, it seems that everyone seems to think that Pentax has missed the biggest benefit of mirrorless which is size reduction. Pentax has obviously decided that size reduction is not the biggest benefit, since this K-01 is not much smaller than some of their other DSLRs. Can you folks please let me know the other advantages of mirrorless design? An obvious thing that comes to mind is that you lose the clunking sound of the mirror. Does getting rid of the mirror make higher flash synch speeds easier? The sych speed is still 1/180 though.
You mean something like this?

I've pre-ordered the K-01. I'm curious to see how big/small it really is. As others have noted, the NEX series shows that when you are using an APS-C sensor, zoom lenses define the kit size, not the body. Same with M43 to a degree; the primes are small but the zooms are still pretty big:

02-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Right, it's now 2012 and video is just a fad just like youtube and Vimeo.
Just point me towards a link that makes your point. No one said video isn't mainstream, but please, prove your assertion that the masses have been clamoring for a butt ugly video camera that only mounts Pentax lenses.
02-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #52
Veteran Member

DSLR Video Rigs

Show us your rigs! - Canon Digital Photography Forums

It goes on and on.

dSLR rigs are like some weird latex fetish or something. The more extreme the better. The K-01 will fit right in.

02-06-2012, 01:41 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
DSLR Video Rigs

dSLR rigs are like some weird latex fetish or something. The more extreme the better. The K-01 will fit right in.
1. I still like the design of the K-01!!!

2. Design will always be somewhat limited by functionality. May I remind, that no so many moons ago, "instant cameras" were hot, and we weren't actually ashamed of carrying around these things:

(It's my own camera - Sligthly manipulated with due apologies to Polaroid Land Corp.)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #54
Banned

Just point me towards a link that makes your point. No one said video isn't mainstream, but please, prove your assertion that the masses have been clamoring for a butt ugly video camera that only mounts Pentax lenses.
I don't give a flying F if I am the only one on the planet that buys the K-01, it will be better than any other APS-C camera in video mode with K-mount lenses and I have a ton of them.
02-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
DSLR Video Rigs

Show us your rigs! - Canon Digital Photography Forums

It goes on and on.

And all these people are going to switch over to Pentax?
02-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #56
Veteran Member

And all these people are going to switch over to Pentax?
Ummm...yes...

"Interesting things will be if it has: 4:2:2 HDMI out, bit rate support. Gladly it has full manual movie mode, with 30/25/24 fps."

"It's so crazy that I actually like it. Give me the yellow or white one :-).Too bad the connections (hdmi, mic, SD) are all on the side of the handgrip under a large rubber flap. I hate rubber flaps. The design is a conversation starter, for sure. But it has no viewfinder and no rotating screen. That sensor is the same as K5 so very good. And Pentax has large lens selection. And that pancake lens is nice."

"I think it is cool.

And looking at the specs it support all lenses. So, it'll AF with screwdrive lenses. Without any adapter. Right now Pentax continue famous compatibility."

"Other good thing is $749 MSRP (or 40mm kit $899, so pancake will be really cheap)

Most probably will be good compliment to my Pentax cameras, as I have bunch of Pentax glass."

"I really hope the video is good, without moire. I would buy this thing in a heartbeat if so, because this sensor is awesome for photography. I can have a really good all in one with image stabilizer. Makes a good complement to my GH2. I'm looking forward to the Olympus weather sealed OM-D, but that's way more expensive."

"I remember there were some efforts going towards hacking the Pentax K-5. The K-01 has the same APS-C size sensor as the K-5 (with 24p and a better processing engine).

The Pentax K-01 may make an interesting candidate for a hack now that the GH2 hack is well under way and a great success, yes?

Edit: oh-- the above post wasn't up when I replied. Very exciting to hear that we might have a K-01 hack!

Thanks, Vitaly. "

"Interesting little camera.. If video mode is good, Id consider getting it in a heartbeat. I quite like the quirky design."

"That yellow one is starting to grow on me. Either you love or hate the design, personally i don't care. This are the points i like about it.

Cheap starting MSRP
able to adapt K-mount lenses without a need for adapters
Body Shake reduction
K-5 sensor, i think this is one of the better APS-C sensors out there
HDMI out and mic input with audio levels control
Timelapse recording
I just hope it has fully manual controls for video recording No tilting LCD though thats a bummer, maybe thats what the HDMI out is for."

"You can install any K mount or M42 glass. Also many old Nikon F glass (if you turn it backwards and know not to hurt camera) :-) For me it is enough."

"Certainly the components and features they put in this camera are pro stuff."

"I ****ing love the prospects of this camera...this is what nikon should of done,allow support of its current dslr lenses. Yeah its a ugly duck but whats inside that counts. if it does better video than nex 5n im sold!"

"I like the ugly look of this guy. I am so tiered of the we are in the future/apple look to products. This is a refreshingly ugly camera.

I have high hopes for this guy, k5 sensor and built in image stabilization are cool features. Also you can mount nikon glass on pentax cameras!"

"This might work great on a fully equipped rig with ext monitor, ext mic, follow focus, etc.

How many tripod mount holes it has? Two?"

"I am in love.

can't wait for the video mode tech spec, codec, 10-bit, hdmi uncompressed,422... VK hack,.... oh sweet dreams

canon is really out of the game, sure they are preparing some fancy announcement for their mirrorless, just prepare 10K$ and canon will find the way to take it"

"Looking at the boxy design, there's nothing blocking around the mount. No problem in using a follow focus either side. The thick base & sturdy body would give more lens support. Plus live HDMI, ext mic-in, audio level, full manual control, and 24/25/30/50/60p. K-5 sensor has 13 steps dynamic range for JPEG. Add a bunch of Samyang 14/24/35/85mm K-mount where 14mm is around 22mm in 35mm format. No adapter required. Body only $749.

Waiting for hands-on reviews and samples..."

"What could be really interesting for video (if scaling is done right), is if the hdmi port gives a clean signal. If so (enabling external recording), it does make for a really interesting video module."

"Who says mirrorless can't have longer ffd? Pentax removed the mirror and kept the k mount. Thus big lenses and good sensors. Sounds reasonable. Prolly good corner sharpness. But where are CDAF lenses? What about AFC? What about AF speed? Even if AF sucks, MF video might be great on this system... if Pentax is serious about video features."

SOURCE
Pentax K-01 Digital Mirrorless - Personal View Talks
02-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I think one of my main initial questions has been answered in favor of the K-01. It looks like lenses built specifically for the K-01 will use the extra space inside the body for the lens. If this is the case, this would make sense. From the front page of this forum -

"Perhaps the most interesting thing we've learned tonight is that Pentax has plans to take full advantage of the Pentax K-01's mirrorless construction. The new and unnamed SMC Pentax-DA XS lens, pictured above, will extend closer to the K-01's sensor than a normal K-mount lens would. The rear lens elements will be located in the area which would otherwise be blocked by the mirror on a DSLR. This introduces many new lens possibilities for the K-01 as well as future Pentax mirrorless cameras, also meaning that lenses can be made more compact!"

I think for the point and shoot crowd moving up, they would need a small zoom lens option. Something roughly equivelent to an 18-55 kit lens but smaller. I don't know anything about lens design. So can a zoom lens that would roughly cover this range be made for the K-01, where a good chunk of the lens is in the body?

Since all of the existing k-mount lenses will work on the K-01, I would think that there would only be a need for very few K-01 specific lenses. Only lenses that are much smaller. The one bundled with the camera is great. Small as a K-mount lens can be I would think. The only others I would think would be needed would be a small zoom covering a range close to 18-55. This one would have to small and inexpensive. If the K-01 takes off, then I think a longer range zoom would help. That one could be slightly larger and significantly more $.

So those of you that are more technical, what does moving the back element back into the camera body, closer to the sensor change as far as abilities, optical effectiveness, etc? Thanks.

More Pentax news at: PentaxForums.com - The Largest Pentax Camera Forum and Pentax Review Site - Front Page News
02-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
I think for the point and shoot crowd moving up, they would need a small zoom lens option. Something roughly equivelent to an 18-55 kit lens but smaller. I don't know anything about lens design. So can a zoom lens that would roughly cover this range be made for the K-01, where a good chunk of the lens is in the body?
The old FA20-35 was pretty small and light -- and it didn't extend into the mirrorbox. Let's assume that 1) deep-inset XS lenses have a tab that prevents their mounting on a standard PK mount, and 2) the K-01 has an XC (extra-crippled) mount with a slot for that tab. (Does anyone have a detailed picture of the K-01 mount? Did I miss it?) With such a system, a lens' rear elements could extend over 40mm into the camera. With the mount throat being over 40mm wide, it should be possible to build a 16-50/2.8 WITHOUT RETROFOCUS ELEMENTS to fit mostly inside the camera. That's my rough guess anyway.
02-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #59
Veteran Member

The more I look at the NEX with a zoom, the less the quest for the ultimate thinbody is appealing. One could accomplish the same end result on the K01 with short XS lenses that extend more into the body. My main nit to pick with the design is keeping a bit of the pentaprism bump without a vf.
02-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The more I look at the NEX with a zoom, the less the quest for the ultimate thinbody is appealing. One could accomplish the same end result on the K01 with short XS lenses that extend more into the body.
Imagine the difference it would make with a wide range zoom, 16-85mm or 18-200. That style of lens is very popular with people upgrading from a compact camera.