Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #16
Banned

I bet Jony Ive would pick the K-01 design over any other camera in it's price class.

02-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
[*]Ive's work satisfies Rams' rules.
um...maybe not.

QuoteQuote:
[*]The design innovations of the iPhone are driven by technological innovations (multi-touch screen).[*]Customer feedback has been positive despite customers lacking vision.
I've heard numerous people complain that the design causes them to hang up accidentally when they press the phone to their ear to listen.
02-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
um...maybe not.
Dieter Rams himself stated "that Apple is one of only a handful of companies existing today that design products according to Rams's ten principles of 'good design.'".

I'm losing interest in the whole debate, though. I've made my point and if people want to disagree, that's fine.
02-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Funny, contrary to others here, after watching this video I think Newson is an arrogant, conceited prick. I'm an engineer by schooling and have complete and total respect for their work. For him to disrespect them doesn't endear me to him.

02-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Funny, contrary to others here, after watching this video I think Newson is an arrogant, conceited prick. I'm an engineer by schooling and have complete and total respect for their work. For him to disrespect them doesn't endear me to him.
Engineering is different than design, though. He doesn't claim to know anything about engineering, and he is correct to say that he knows more about design than the Pentax engineers do. In another video he expressed his appreciation for how much they accommodated his design choices, so I don't think he meant to be arrogant at all.

Well-engineered things can be beautiful apart from any design, but engineers are not selected for their ability to capture the imagination or their aesthetic sensibilities. Putting engineers in charge of design would be like putting them in charge of the website - you end up with a site that is sensible and functional but has little aesthetic appeal and that might require a lot of time to learn. It is good to bring in some fresh blood to stir up the camera market - when was the last time we had a truly original design in an interchangeable lens camera?
02-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
Engineering is different than design, though. He doesn't claim to know anything about engineering, and he is correct to say that he knows more about design than the Pentax engineers do. In another video he expressed his appreciation for how much they accommodated his design choices, so I don't think he meant to be arrogant at all.

Well-engineered things can be beautiful apart from any design, but engineers are not selected for their ability to capture the imagination or their aesthetic sensibilities. Putting engineers in charge of design would be like putting them in charge of the website - you end up with a site that is sensible and functional but has little aesthetic appeal and that might require a lot of time to learn. It is good to bring in some fresh blood to stir up the camera market - when was the last time we had a truly original design in an interchangeable lens camera?
Agreed. My opinions of him aside, I've pre-ordered the camera. And while I'm an engineer by schooling, I'm a designer by trade, so I've seen both sides of the divide and am often asked to bridge them together. It's not always an easy task because the two groups often view the world fundamentally differently.

I'll take your word about the other interviews, but in this one I'd smack him if I was one of the Pentax engineers and say, "listen dope, your yellow box is just that, a yellow box, if we didn't make the magic happen."

I just got a thing against folks that are too full of themselves...
02-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I bet Jony Ive would pick the K-01 design over any other camera in it's price class.
I think you might be right. I guess there's only one way to find out... Ask him.

"ring, ring, ring..."

J: "Hello"

Me: "Hi Jony! I'm calling on behalf of Pentax forums and there's a question that we would like to ask you."

J: "Okay"

Me: "Well, we were discussing your design guru-ness, if that's a word, and how you have created products that are simply stunning and revolutionary and stunning."

J: "What are you getting at?"

Me: "Stated quite frankly, we're wondering which current mirrorless camera in the $700-800 price bracket you would choose as your favorite (design wise)?"

J: "Oh, that's easy."

Me: "Okay."

J: "The Pentax K-01. It's a design that stands out, and does something that none other does (talking about the full line-up of DSLR lenses)."

Okay folks, so there we have it!

02-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Okay folks, so there we have it!
Why didn't you post the full transcript?

The conversation continues:

Me: "So the K-01's design is the bee's knees, is it?"

J: "Hell, no."

Me: "What's wrong with it?"

J: "Like me, Newson digs Rams, but he didn't go all the way. Instead he threw in some superfluous fluff".

Me: "OK, but otherwise it is great, isn't it?"

J: "Well, what's actually worse is that Newson couldn't spell 'ergonomics' if his life dependent on it. I've never even hear him speak that word, thinking about it."

Me: "OK, I see. Thanks".

Last edited by Class A; 02-14-2012 at 10:57 PM.