Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
Confirmation bias is a heck of a drug.

A person who makes that statement cannot be taken seriously. Yes, the main reason people buy Canon and Nikon SLRs is because of size and weight. Sheesh.
That's NOT EVEN REMOTELY what that excerpt says.

The phrase "can give a better impression of quality" does not imply "the main reason people buy Canon and Nikon SLRs is because of size and weight."

I think the density, and solidity, of my K-5 DOES give me an impression of quality. Maybe it's false! It's my impression, but it's not why I bought it.

02-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
That's NOT EVEN REMOTELY what that excerpt says.

The phrase "can give a better impression of quality" does not imply "the main reason people buy Canon and Nikon SLRs is because of size and weight."

I think the density, and solidity, of my K-5 DOES give me an impression of quality. Maybe it's false! It's my impression, but it's not why I bought it.
Yeah, caps are always convincing.

It was a direct quote, he said what he said. He referenced it as a determining factor in purchase decision; if he didn't mean that it was a determining factor in people making the purchase then is was pointless to call to it as a logical basis for the reason why people would buy the K-01 over smaller/lighter options.
02-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I agree with the Blogster on the issue of who the K-01 demographic is but disagree with nearly everything else. The 4/3's cameras, frankly I am just learning, ALL take converters to use existing SLR lenses but they're all smaller than the K-01. Virtually any lens can be used on MFT camera bodies using the proper adapter. Apparently, Four Third lenses can even be used with auto focus using the adapters designed by Olympus and Panasonic. So, the idea that Pentax is opening a whole array of existing glass to new camera users isn't new or exciting. So, if Pentax targeted existing Pentax users because of the KAF mount they're going to have a very small market made even smaller by the compromises of the K-01 - but, if they targeted those moving from phone cameras upward then they are offering nothing new or exciting but doing so in a MUCH larger package. Which one was the intent? Does it matter??
m4/3 cameras can use other brand lenses by adapters, but with that, they become somewhat heavy (metal adapter and weighty lens) and large. The 2x crop factor also limits what lenses can be used effectively as lenses above 85mm usually become too long for most needs. So save for a few smallish lenses in the 28mm to 85mm range (eg.28/2.8 - 85/2), they are really better off using native lenses.
I have a G3 and nowadays, I don't even bother using adapted lenses except for special/novelty uses (eg. macro; long range)
Using the 4/3>m4/3 adapter is an option but AF becomes horribly slow. So thumbs up to Pentax for the CDAF that supports legacy AF lenses at much better speeds.

I think the hard part to sell to the consumer is that when displayed side by side, body only, a MILC like NEX or m4/3 will plainly look smaller.
In the layman's mindset, smaller means you have better tech/capability than the other folks.
Of course Pentax has a decently sized overall package (camera + lenses), and in many cases be smaller than NEX, but it will be hard for the layman to see past body size.
02-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
m4/3 cameras can use other brand lenses by adapters, but with that, they become somewhat heavy (metal adapter and weighty lens) and large. The 2x crop factor also limits what lenses can be used effectively as lenses above 85mm usually become too long for most needs. So save for a few smallish lenses in the 28mm to 85mm range (eg.28/2.8 - 85/2), they are really better off using native lenses.
I have a G3 and nowadays, I don't even bother using adapted lenses except for special/novelty uses (eg. macro; long range)
Using the 4/3>m4/3 adapter is an option but AF becomes horribly slow. So thumbs up to Pentax for the CDAF that supports legacy AF lenses at much better speeds.

I think the hard part to sell to the consumer is that when displayed side by side, body only, a MILC like NEX or m4/3 will plainly look smaller.
In the layman's mindset, smaller means you have better tech/capability than the other folks.
Of course Pentax has a decently sized overall package (camera + lenses), and in many cases be smaller than NEX, but it will be hard for the layman to see past body size.
Very good points. While the adapted lens idea is a good way to attract camera enthusiasts to a new platform (it's worked great for Panasonic and Olympus), I think that this group is a small portion of the overall market. And as can be seen with M43, adapted lenses become less of an issue once native lens lineups fill out.

It remains to be seen whether or not "The largest selection of native lenses for any mirrorless system and compatibility with dSLRs" proves to be a compelling selling point. Pentax is sure to survey purchasers on what influenced their purchase decision....