Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spot one! robertstech.com discussion on K-01

An excellent critical opinion on the K-01 at:

http://www.robertstech.com/blog/?p=541

I believe that the writer has some very good point. The market of the K-01 must be non-Pentax users to broaden the market share of Pentax: "The target buyer for this camera isn’t someone who is already invested in the Pentax system". I would add that the secondary market is the dSLR Pentax users (and their family) looking for a second (or 3rd) body. I will be one of the latter.

Good reading...

02-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
An excellent critical opinion on the K-01 at:

http://www.robertstech.com/blog/?p=541

I believe that the writer has some very good point. The market of the K-01 must be non-Pentax users to broaden the market share of Pentax: "The target buyer for this camera isn’t someone who is already invested in the Pentax system". I would add that the secondary market is the dSLR Pentax users (and their family) looking for a second (or 3rd) body. I will be one of the latter.

Good reading...
Not sure I agree with that statement...
How could the K-01 not be targeted toward equally to existing users? I think they are trying to appeal to new and existing users equally. They give an unique product to new users, and things like video + kmount + SR to existing ones. There are always a few technical compromises, but they seemed to make a decent balance with a few quips. I think they got their pricing right... The initial colors could use some work though.
02-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Forum Member

Thanks for the tip. That's a good argument, and imagine the surprise of those who buy the camera because of what it is, and suddenly discovering the world of limiteds...

Mind = Blown
02-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Ultimately your market is: Whoever will buy it.

02-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree with the Blogster on the issue of who the K-01 demographic is but disagree with nearly everything else. The 4/3's cameras, frankly I am just learning, ALL take converters to use existing SLR lenses but they're all smaller than the K-01. Virtually any lens can be used on MFT camera bodies using the proper adapter. Apparently, Four Third lenses can even be used with auto focus using the adapters designed by Olympus and Panasonic. So, the idea that Pentax is opening a whole array of existing glass to new camera users isn't new or exciting. So, if Pentax targeted existing Pentax users because of the KAF mount they're going to have a very small market made even smaller by the compromises of the K-01 - but, if they targeted those moving from phone cameras upward then they are offering nothing new or exciting but doing so in a MUCH larger package. Which one was the intent? Does it matter??
02-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I tried to comment on his blog, but just got some error messages. In short: I disagree. K mount makes the body bigger and therefore to use the K mount design, there has to be a reason. And IMO the reason is that either Pentax wants to attract former K mount glass users (unlike the blogger thinks) or they plan to release a FF camera (again to be used with the old glass). If they wanted to attract P&S upgraders, there would be no reason to use K mount.
02-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I tried to comment on his blog, but just got some error messages. In short: I disagree. K mount makes the body bigger and therefore to use the K mount design, there has to be a reason. And IMO the reason is that either Pentax wants to attract former K mount glass users (unlike the blogger thinks)
Yeah, because most Pentax users will rush to buy a camera without viewfinder!

QuoteQuote:
or they plan to release a FF camera (again to be used with the old glass). If they wanted to attract P&S upgraders, there would be no reason to use K mount.
Why release a camera now if you want to release a much better one later?

02-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteQuote:
"The target buyer for this camera isn’t someone who is already invested in the Pentax system".
Well let me see, I purchased the K-7 in July 2009 to shoot video with my many K-mount lenses. I then purchased the Panasonic GH2 in Dec 2010 instead of the K-5 because it had the best video with full manual control of any DSLR type camera and adapters to use my K-mount lenses . So now Pentax comes out with the K-01 with full manual control in video along with 1080p30,25,24, 720p60 etc for a lower price than the K-5 and one look at the specs and I pre-order a yellow K-01 body. I guess we will see who buys the K-01 next month.

Last edited by jogiba; 02-04-2012 at 03:38 PM.
02-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Yeah, because most Pentax users will rush to buy a camera without viewfinder!
I won't, but reading the forum it looks many will.

I fail to see that somehow extraordinary.
02-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
..... So now Pentax comes out with the K-01 with full manual control in video along with 1080p30,25,24, 720p60 etc for a lower price than the K-5 and one look at the specs and I pre-order a yellow K-01 body. .........
Yes, I think the video is going to get some more attention when the dust settles.
I look at my Takumars in a new light now and wonder at the potential of 60fps

Pete
02-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

A sensible bit of adult commentary. I like this in particular:

QuoteQuote:
Recognize what a design is intended to do and buy it if your needs fall within its scope. Here’s another relevant quote, this time from Winston Churchill: "I don’t know the secret to success but I know the secret to failure – trying to please everyone".
02-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
If they wanted to attract P&S upgraders, there would be no reason to use K mount.
I would consider the K-01 a literal bridge camera.

It allows people looking into the ILC market to buy something not too daunting and is familiar to what they're used to with P&S's... only, with a case of LBA

Once they get better, and look into full body cameras, they can easily upgrade without losing any money they invested in their lenses.

In short... i see no reason why there would be no reason to use K mount on the K-01 when there's at least one reason.
02-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The Opposite Opinion

I have practically the complete opposite opinion to Mark Roberts. You can read it on Adam's other site:

Form over Function, or Why the Pentax K-01 Was a Bad Idea - Camera-Enthusiast.com Blog
02-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Confirmation bias is a heck of a drug.

QuoteQuote:
...increased size/weight can give a better impression of quality (ask people who buy Canon and Nikon SLRs)...
A person who makes that statement cannot be taken seriously. Yes, the main reason people buy Canon and Nikon SLRs is because of size and weight. Sheesh.

Because releasing your entire line at once would give your users the chance to see the product levels and progression at a glance and who wants that? If you have different tools for different product segments it's always a good idea to release them separately and with no continuity. The loudest buzzing from your user forums will help you tell the troll from the true believers. Amen.
02-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
I would consider the K-01 a literal bridge camera...Once they get better, and look into full body cameras, they can easily upgrade without losing any money they invested in their lenses.
I agree with this. Pentax already made a small mirrorless camera with a different mount. It's called the Q. The K-01 is a bridge camera for folks who think they might want to get into photography/video more seriously sometime down the road.