Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Peeking -- yeah I would think so, although "focus peaking" sounds interesting too! But I suspect that Pentax's version is essentially a digital zoom like now? The NEX was really cool because you could see the whole image at once and see where the focus shifts as you turn the ring. Also you can tell depth of field changes by turning the aperture ring on a manual lens by which areas light up. So it goes beyond just "critical" focus because it makes it easy to manual focus on any subject quickly without squinting at the screen or zooming in on a small area...
Nope. According to this hands-on preview by Josh Root, the K-01's focus peaking is the real deal borrowed from Ricoh's GXR M Module. However, I do not believe that he was able to test it personally.

Pentax K-01 Preview - photo.net

Rob

02-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It is more that "peaking" is an adjective and "peeking" is a verb, and to me a verb makes sense -- I am peeking. "Peaking" I just don't know what to do with that mentally -- sounds very awkward. Since it no longer applies to me but to the focus itself, I don't know what it is describing in terms of the actual feature and what happens when you use -- in-focus areas lighting up = peaking? Makes no sense to me. The focus could be said to be "peaking" somewhere, but that doesn't relate to the feature itself which is showing me WHERE it is peaking. (And using the term peaking for "sharpest focus" I find just weird to begin with since peak is using a high-low metaphor but we usually don't use a high-low metaphor for focus, but sharp-dull or something like that. Something like "peak focus indicator" would be better (but still awkward), but peaking? If it has been in use in video for a long time, then maybe it has been mangled or shortened from its original form. So there!

Whereas peeking makes perfect intuitive sense, and as far as sounding infantile, peeking is used a technical word in computer programming (I am a programmer) so I am used to it that way and it in no way reminds me of "peek-a-boo". (And all sorts of respectable words are quite silly when you break them down.)
02-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Nope. According to this hands-on preview by Josh Root, the K-01's focus peaking is the real deal borrowed from Ricoh's GXR M Module. However, I do not believe that he was able to test it personally.

Pentax K-01 Preview - photo.net

Rob
Good news!

("News" is a silly word -- plural of "new".)
02-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus Peaking.....

02-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Its 'Peaking' as in ''showing the contrast peak', which is what the function does.

While good its not as good as most ppl make it out to be.
It captured my imagination of how good it was and the myriad of ways I could use it.
But in practical terms, it
1. Won't make out any 'peaking outling' if contrast is poor
2. It will go for highest contrast (so no contrast on eye lash - instead it will peak on the catchlight on the eye or eyebrow or something else)
3. Its not as sensitive to be able to highlight parts of an object with lower contrast. So in a backlint person for example, it may just always 'peak' on the outline of the person (highest contrast) and never/poorly on his/her eye for example.

Even though the above mentioned is the case, its a nice focusing aid and will help in many cases.
02-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Focus Peaking. Bad English like in Chimping

As said in the previous post, the name describes the method and its problem: it highlights pixels exceeding a given contrast threshold (peaks). Which helps in case where their number becomes maximal in focus (which unlike contrast must not be the case).

Personally though, I would prefer a visual representation of the computed contrast in a pixel's neighborhood, like false colors overlaying a b&w viewfinder image. Or more than one peak color for different contrast thresholds. Eventually, a more mature method would'nt be based on peaks anymore - but probably still be called peaking then
02-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

The videos look good and it's obviously a much better method than the focus confirmation square in the K-5 VF. There seems to be so much doubt about what is actually in focus (and the size of that area) in relation to the red square that it's almost useless. Is there any chance Live View on the k-5 will get an upgrade that includes Focus Peaking? This is a feature you're unlikely to see in an OVF whereas a EVF would probably handle it extremely well.
02-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Is there any chance Live View on the k-5 will get an upgrade that includes Focus Peaking?
It seems like it would be possible in theory. Let's flood them with that request. Adding new & useful functionality to an existing product would certainly help endear Ricoh to current Pentax owners.

02-05-2012, 03:11 AM   #24
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

It's peaking, not peeking. I have it on my dp5 field monitor too. Handy!
02-05-2012, 04:37 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Its 'Peaking' as in ''showing the contrast peak', which is what the function does.

While good its not as good as most ppl make it out to be.
It captured my imagination of how good it was and the myriad of ways I could use it.
But in practical terms, it
1. Won't make out any 'peaking outling' if contrast is poor
2. It will go for highest contrast (so no contrast on eye lash - instead it will peak on the catchlight on the eye or eyebrow or something else)
3. Its not as sensitive to be able to highlight parts of an object with lower contrast. So in a backlint person for example, it may just always 'peak' on the outline of the person (highest contrast) and never/poorly on his/her eye for example.

Even though the above mentioned is the case, its a nice focusing aid and will help in many cases.
Try it out on the NEX and you will understand. Combine it with touch screen magnification anywhere within the LCD that you want to focus, then it will be of tremendous value. It won't happen on the K-01 without touch screen.

Last edited by Anthony Lee; 02-05-2012 at 04:55 AM.
02-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I own both K5 and NEX5n, but I think people expect to much from focus peaking. It just colours the sharp bits. I can see the sharp bits without it being highlighted by the software. I can see the sharp bits in the OVF of the K5, in the EVF of the NEX, and on both their screens. I don't see how focus peaking will help. It's a nice feature for people who have trouble with their vision though.
02-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anthony Lee Quote
Try it out on the NEX and you will understand. Combine it with touch screen magnification anywhere within the LCD that you want to focus, then it will be of tremendous value. It won't happen on the K-01 without touch screen.
I was actually referring to the NEX implementation in the previous post.
Yes, agree that it is much better with the touch screen magnification.
Agree that it would have been for 'refined' if K-01 had a touch screen and swivel LCD, but then I think back to my GF1 which had none of these, and it was still very usable esp. with its native AF lenses (a joy to use in fact).
The K-01 is something like that, but a K-mount, APS-C version of it.
So perhaps great to have, but not essential, but market perception may think otherwise of course, esp when competitors are offering them.
This is the first Pentax MILC and priced to be lower or the same as a entry level DSLR (not a Kr replacement), so there will be room for refinement over subsequent models.

What I'm hoping for is a seamless use of the feature, without a further need to go into further modes or presses, which no manufacturer has come up with atm. (perhaps I dream)
It would be great if peaking just worked without a further press anywhere to zoom in for whatever.
I'll have to see the final production firmware K-01 to see what has Pentax/Ricoh come up with for this camera.

Last edited by pinholecam; 02-05-2012 at 07:40 PM.
02-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
It would be great if peaking just worked without a further press anywhere to zoom in for whatever.
If set to AF, K-01 will magnify (6x) the focus point auotmatically when you half press and hold the shutter button for 1s or longer. But I don't see this when the camera is set to MF. Never tested with a manual lens ... I guess it's very easy to implement this for MF too.
02-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I own both K5 and NEX5n, but I think people expect to much from focus peaking. It just colours the sharp bits. I can see the sharp bits without it being highlighted by the software. I can see the sharp bits in the OVF of the K5, in the EVF of the NEX, and on both their screens. I don't see how focus peaking will help. It's a nice feature for people who have trouble with their vision though.
The Ricoh GXR implemetation (and so I assume the K-01) is white highlights. MODE 2 is the grayscale screen option which is much easier to see details as on my cat here, eg the whiskers, and seems to be most GXR user's preferred choice on the DPR Ricoh forum: