Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Limited K-01

So another what if this happened to the K-01 thread for fun.

What if the K-01 had a semi-redesign to truly match the DA Limited lenses. This could be a K-01 Limited or whatever they want to call it.

Why?
Imagine the camera with that great black (or silver) finish adding hints of green metal as they do with the Limiteds. No two-tone look. Either all black or all silver in the exact painting process they use for the lenses.

Could it work?
I don't see why not. The lenses are aluminum and the K-01 is said to be all aluminum (even the buttons). I don't see why they could not use the same process on the camera body. They would have to remove whatever process they use to create that textured body panel look to match the lenses.

For example (black),
-Body panels and buttons, same paint process as the limited lenses.
-Text would either be the pale blue or tan colors they use on the distance scale.
-The two flashy red and green buttons would be switched to the same color process as the green rings around the DA limited lenses. Two green buttons with labels instead would be good I think. The rings look anodized instead of painted.
- The Pentax logo would not be painted, but rather machined like on the lens cap of the FA 31mm f1.8 and painted the same as the body color. Who wants bright white flashy text showing on something so smooth? I'd compromise if they wanted to use the same red paint that they use in the "Limited" text engraving on the FA limiteds (or say the DA 40's metal lens cap).

Last edited by sjwaldron; 12-10-2012 at 07:58 AM.
02-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

K-01 Titanium, EVF with a new DFA 85/1.4 ltd?
02-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
K-01 Titanium, EVF with a new DFA 85/1.4 ltd?
That would work too, but probably as likely as the moon crashing into Earth.
02-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All-black or titanium would be fine, something normal. And yes, it should come with an EVF, which should also be sold separately for owners of the non-limited version.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #5

There are already 3 two-tone colour schemes for the K-01, they should just add all black as a standard option, but a mostly titanium finish could be a Limited. But I think a Limited model would need more than just a cosmetic all-black or all-silver finish. An integrated EVF (not accessory) and perhaps an improved grip (thumb rest ?) would be worth a few extra dollars.

I've always liked two-tone silver & black bodies because they look good with either silver or black lenses, and I have both. IMO my silver lenses look weird on all black body.
02-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can't see them doing extensive changes to the body like adding an EVF unless they have already planned for that. I could see adding an EVF to the K-01 Super or something similar, but that would have to be in the next revision cycle.

My main point was that the limited lenses are some of Pentax's best work design wise, yet they seem driven to have their camera bodies not match with the lenses even when they use the same materials (aluminum). The majority of people own the black lenses, so I'm saying make the revised K-01 with the same process as the lenses. That means matching the textural finish and paint process. It just makes sense to me that they would have them the same textural finish and paint if they use the same base material, but yeah...