Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 03:03 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by attilaworx Quote
In case anyone is wondering: the release in Australia seems to be delayed until 6. April...

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these (or just pull the trigger on a K5 purchase instead?!)
I've had my K-01 for a week
I am tempted to get a second K-5 at that price, but I think waiting for the replacement is a better option.

03-21-2012, 04:38 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I've had my K-01 for a week
I am tempted to get a second K-5 at that price, but I think waiting for the replacement is a better option.
Where did you find one? :-o
03-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by attilaworx Quote
Where did you find one? :-o
On the interweb.
Is very nice
03-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #19
Banned

Photos: Gallery
There is some stock in one Dutch store. Not my store and not my yellow, so I still have to wait.

03-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I feel justified.

Limited availability In Stock at B&H White Kit / Yellow Kit. Black kit and Black body-only are marked "Pre-order" (they sold out!!) with no expected date. Everything else is April 16th or 29th.

More combinations available In Stock at Adorama Looks like everything but the White Body-only and the dual-lens kits are available.
03-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They have all three colors/kits in stock at a store (Ace Photo) outside of Washington, DC if anybody in that area wants to check them out (even have a display set up and everything.)
03-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Just saw one that arrived today at my local BC Camera store.

Spent a little time with it but was in a bit of a rush as I had to pick my son up from soccer practice.

My first impression; the thing is MUCH larger than I expected despite doing all the online size comparisons. Either the palmed K-01 picture takers have much larger hands than I do or they were using the a micro-version of it because when I actually held it in my hands, I was a bit taken aback.

Of course, my expectation of what a mirror-less camera has been set by my Lumix GF2 so the K-01 felt easily twice as thick and much heavier. It would take some getting used to, that's for sure.

The other thing that really threw me off (as has been mentioned before) is the flimsiness of the rubber flap covering the memory card slot. If you grip the camera single-handedly with a large lens, I can see how that flap will succumb and either peel away or be damaged.

03-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Just saw one that arrived today at my local BC Camera store.

Spent a little time with it but was in a bit of a rush as I had to pick my son up from soccer practice.

My first impression; the thing is MUCH larger than I expected despite doing all the online size comparisons. Either the palmed K-01 picture takers have much larger hands than I do or they were using the a micro-version of it because when I actually held it in my hands, I was a bit taken aback.

Of course, my expectation of what a mirror-less camera has been set by my Lumix GF2 so the K-01 felt easily twice as thick and much heavier. It would take some getting used to, that's for sure.

The other thing that really threw me off (as has been mentioned before) is the flimsiness of the rubber flap covering the memory card slot. If you grip the camera single-handedly with a large lens, I can see how that flap will succumb and either peel away or be damaged.
Indeed - my first impression when I got mine was the size - but I WANTED that. I really dont want to hold an expensive camera like my wife does her point and shoot. As far as the door I have had zero problems opening and closing mine nor keeping it closed. I really don't hold this camera with one hand any more than I hold a dSLR with one hand, which is never. I make a stable platform with two hands, left hand underneath the camera and finger and thumb on the lens. I use a VERY light touch with the right hand and basically hold the camera with the left..

In fact my only ergonomic complaint so far is the (high) amount of button pressure required to release the shutter. It is like squeezing a trigger - something new to learn.
03-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In fact my only ergonomic complaint so far is the (high) amount of button pressure required to release the shutter. It is like squeezing a trigger - something new to learn.
It'll probably get easier to press after you shoot for a while- my biggest complaint was definitely the green button

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It'll probably get easier to press after you shoot for a while- my biggest complaint was definitely the green button
I'm beginning to understand the new G/B implementation. The manual could be more helpful. For us accustomed to dSLR's this camera requires a slower, more studied approach or pure auto-shooting. It is just different, not necessarily worse or better.

WRT the button release pressure I was more referring to body design ergonomics, since I use a very light right hand. It is a challenge not to introduce vibration when I'm already bracing my elbows against my body and the strap against the back of my neck. Adding a squeeze is something new. I really do think about holding a sight on a target and squeezing a trigger - you don't really know when a rifle mechanism will fire, so the camera sensation is new that way.

After the initial "HTF do I do this" phase I'm beginning to get together with the camera. I think this is a great first effort by Pentax - especially since, as is their history, their vision of a compact Compact System Camera is unique to Pentax - it seems to be "bigger body, tiny lens" as opposed to small body, bigger lens." Whenever the opinion setters get this message the external opinion will improve.

Per the head of PRI Product Development, if you want the best still output the K-5 has a slightly better still engine according to the dc.watch interview linked here. The speaker openly states PRIME M gives much better video noise at the expense of slight still IQ reduction

Doesn't sound like they plan a K-r replacement at all. I think my idea of a run extension of the K-5 with a better K-5n soon, then the K-3 might have some merit. K-01 with an integrated EVF sounds plausible.
The talk was interviewed, (responsible for the coordination of product planning and development) Planning Member of principal Shigeru Wakashiro Product Planning Division, team, group product marketing Pentax Ricoh imaging, Mr. Yuya elk of the same marketing support sales group Div (Mark -responsible for the interaction with Mr. Newson), Mr. Yasuhiro Yamamoto, Director of Development Department Development Div 1 same quality design (circuit design, responsible for the firmware), Makoto Ikawa Manager Development Department Development Div same third (DA responsible for the design of the 40mm F2.8 XS), responsible for the mechanical design of the Manager Development Department, Mr. Tetsuo Hosokawa, 2nd Division, the same development (body).

I think this camera (and perhaps later iterations) will work for me in my unique circumstances. This and the LX w/ FB1/FC1 will let me keep going. I guess I'll be on teh Sell side of the Marketplace soon.
03-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Fair enough; For me, my intent for getting a m43 camera was the opposite. Better image quality (sensor, lenses) than P&S but small enough for single-handed operation should the need arise.

Maybe I'll revisit when the 2nd or 3rd generation of the K-01 comes out with some revised ergonomics.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Indeed - my first impression when I got mine was the size - but I WANTED that.
03-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Fair enough; For me, my intent for getting a m43 camera was the opposite. Better image quality (sensor, lenses) than P&S but small enough for single-handed operation should the need arise.

Maybe I'll revisit when the 2nd or 3rd generation of the K-01 comes out with some revised ergonomics.
That's me, too. I wish the K-01 was smaller, but understand the limitations K-mount brings, and I want K-mount without adapters. But I'm keeping my Pen kit. I originally planned to sell it.

So I guess it's a win/win? I got a new camera and got to keep the old camera.
04-05-2012, 02:29 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have just taken the K-01 to Argentina for a week, with my DA 10-17, Sigma EX 17-50, DA 40, FA 50/1.4, FA 77 and DA 55-300.
It made a great travel kit and brought home some great shots. I agree with monochrome that a more considered approach to shot-making is needed, and it certainly won't be replacing my K-5 for rapid-fire concert photography. As a more compact option for general walk-around and for holiday snaps and videos it has been excellent.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
04-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Some really nice pictures there
Looks like a lump of dust on the 2nd- easily fixable by the looks of the background through

I would have been more tempted for the k-01 if it was smaller. It really is just a little bit smaller than a dslr. I would have wanted
Something more pocketable if it doesn't have a view finder.
04-05-2012, 03:03 AM   #30

I wanted to try a K01 today but the sales person in the store had no idea what the K01 was. After looking it up, she remembered that a Pentax rep showed her one but they won't stock it (it's a store that is listed on Pentax Australia's website)... They didn't have any Pentax gear whatsoever...
Any Aussie Pentaxians know a good store in the Gold Coast or Melbourne areas? I want to play with one before I buy so the online route is not an option. Any recommendations that would save me from calling the full list of dealers on the Pentax site would be appreciated.