Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Wow. That froggie fashion video really grates. Is that the same fashion bod that got a Q before everyone else? Is Pentax thinking this is sophisticated? Give it to someone working at music concerts and it might be more universal.

Cameras and phones have been two trains hurtling towards one another since the late 90's. The majority of the market will merge as all-in-one devices. Though enthusiasts will still use dedicated (but GPS and 4G enabled) cameras.

Why aren't Sony or Samsung making an Android mirrorless?

02-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just wondering......What would a Marketing Psychologist say about the K-01? Our cameras must say something about us, just as our autos do. So do colors, shapes and sizes.
Does the K-01 say "I have no taste"? ...."Ugly is beautiful"?......."I'm practical, not fashion conscious"?
It says something, to everyone that sees it...just what is not clear. Maybe a mental evaluation of the designer would be even more interesting?
Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 02-22-2012 at 10:22 PM.
02-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Watch this space

You can be sure that in the next few months photography and gadgetry magazines will be coming out with dozens of articles with titles like:

"Mirrorless shootout -- which system is right for you?"

Equally predictably, the K-01 will attract mixed reviews, praising its IQ, value and versatility, while questioning its size and styling. Some reviews will put more emphasis on the positive aspects, others on the negatives. Either way, some readers will decide that the positives that the K-01 embodies are a good fit for their own needs ....

I think it will be a "sleeper" hit this northern hemisphere summer.
02-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
You can be sure that in the next few months photography and gadgetry magazines will be coming out with dozens of articles with titles like:

"Mirrorless shootout -- which system is right for you?"

Equally predictably, the K-01 will attract mixed reviews, praising its IQ, value and versatility, while questioning its size and styling. Some reviews will put more emphasis on the positive aspects, others on the negatives. Either way, some readers will decide that the positives that the K-01 embodies are a good fit for their own needs ....

I think it will be a "sleeper" hit this northern hemisphere summer.
Good job - you just summarized photography magazines for the next 6 months and thus put countless journalists out of work!

02-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Good job - you just summarized photography magazines for the next 6 months and thus put countless journalists out of work!

That's easy to do actually, since most just repeat the same articles over and over on a cycle time of 12-18 months. The only thing different is that the numbers after the gadget names tend to increment.
02-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
The Photography majors in my school don't like it.

The Industrial Design majors are very, very interested. As well as the Painting majors.

The Advertising major in me cannot understand how this happened!
I'm with the stupid! Still scratching my head about "how this happened"! Aren't marketing departments supposed to do some focus group studies? Because any focus group (unless Pentax was focusing the pre-teen kids and color-blind old-farts) would've ran out of there screaming "this is freaging fugly!!!"

Being a mechanical designer I'm just shocked how something like this could've passed at all. The whole project is a great example of how not to release a new product on hot (EVIL) market while targeting the lower-end of the market.

Pentax and the whole industry has years and years of experience and development behind their backs. Small things like switches, buttons, knobs are the way they are because it took years to get the optimal shape and position/placement right. Pentax has billions invested in the existing tooling to make all these switches, knobs and camera parts.

Yet, there comes mr. Marc Newson and says that he knows better, scraps everything and designs the whole bloody thing from scratch.

"Dear Pentax, here's your new revolutionary camera, please empty your pockets for new tooling, because you gonna have to produce every single part from zero!"

Every more or less experienced product-design-related manager knows that you only use industrial designers for conceptualization, to get the general visual concept more or less together. Then there are mechanical designers and engineers who's job consists of kicking the industrial designer's as$ and explaining him on fingers that there are things that you JUST DON'T DO!!! Then there are ergonomic engineers who's job consists of kicking both industrial and mechanical designer's a$ses and explaining them on fingers that there are things that MUST TO BE DONE THAT WAY!!! Etc, etc, etc...

Point being, K-01 looks like it went straight into production directly from Marc Newson's office. Pentax CEO's around that time were probably too busy playing golf with Ricoh's CEO's, so nobody gave a damn. It also looks like even Marc Newson hasn't really finished the job. He tried incorporate some really nice ideas, but stopped half-way. Ask any designer, no matter the field - that snorkel is just wrong!!! It doesn't flow visually and has no place there what so ever!!!

As such, K-01 is Pentax/Hoya/Ricoh's bastard child. You wouldn't be able to guess for sh#t who's the mother and who's the father. Most likely it will fail miserably just because of looks and will get replaced by K-02 (with just about the exact same internals) in no time.

Last edited by alexeyga; 02-22-2012 at 03:11 PM.
02-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #82
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I'm with the stupid!
I guess you love the Sony NEX-5N.

02-22-2012, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #83
Site Supporter

Pretty obvious to me which looks better... that's a no brainer... I don't understand the negative reactions on look or size for that matter. A lot smaller may be better, but a bit smaller makes it worse actually. Your Sony images makes that pretty obvious. The K-01 has an elegant simplicity that will be appreciated by many, me included.

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I guess you love the Sony NEX-5N.

02-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Just wondering......What would a Marketing Psychologist say about the K-01? Our cameras must say something about us, just as our autos do. So do colors, shapes and sizes.
Does the K-10 say "I have no taste"? ...."Ugly is beautiful"?......."I'm practical, not fashion conscious"?
It is a tool not a fashion statement. Pretty well all DSLRs look the same and hardly beautiful to my eye.
02-22-2012, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #85
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Remember when computers all looked like this?

Source: Computer Museum

And remember the derision and mocking when Apple did this?

Source: VC&G | iMac Turns Ten

We all know how that turned out...
02-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Pentax has billions invested in the existing tooling to make all these switches, knobs and camera parts.
Billions! Man did Ricoh get a deal

Ask any designer, no matter the field - that snorkel is just wrong!!! It doesn't flow visually and has no place there what so ever!!!
It looks fine, how is it in use? I can not answer that with out using it. Not as physic as many here apparently.

I can not imagine how wonderful things would be if the PF forum critics worked for Pentax.

Most likely it will fail miserably just because of looks and will get replaced by K-02 (with just about the exact same internals) in no time.
It will be a very successful product.
02-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #87
Veteran Member

I'm with the stupid! Still scratching my head about "how this happened"! Aren't marketing departments supposed to do some focus group studies? Because any focus group (unless Pentax was focusing the pre-teen kids and color-blind old-farts) would've ran out of there screaming "this is freaging fugly!!!"
Actually what I didn't understand was how come the Photography majors didn't get past the camera's skin, when the Industrial Design and Painting people took that as just a part, appreciating what the camera can do. There's something odd about how it's marketed, true, maybe that's where the K-01 is being confusing.
02-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
We all know how that turned out...
Er, yeah, Apple went back to monochrome computer cases like (almost) everyone else. Because it's more important what's on the screen than what's distracting you from it. And because they realised they could make more money off a looks-obsessed public by selling techno-gadgets other than computers.

Of course this has nothing to do with how the K-01 will fare in the market. But soon come the inevitable car analogies...
02-22-2012, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #89
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Er, yeah, Apple went back to monochrome computer cases like (almost) everyone else. Because it's more important what's on the screen than what's distracting you from it. And because they realised they could make more money off a looks-obsessed public by selling techno-gadgets other than computers.

Of course this has nothing to do with how the K-01 will fare in the market. But soon come the inevitable car analogies...
IIRC they went through several iterations of the colors - from just one to several and then one more generation past that

Colors was their design language at the time, and it was seen throughout their product line

Even their serious graphic workstations weren't immune

And if you recall, this was at a time when Apple was actually lagging behind Windows in terms of technology. Their OS 7 was limping along on 10+ year old code and PowerPC chips were seriously lagging behind Intel. But the graphics community loved them. Their distinctive design probably saved them.

And the trend continued with iPods

And even as Apple moved away from colors, they were still willing to hang it out there and take design risks

With all of this in mind, I give Pentax credit for not producing another me-too camera. They know as well as anybody that they're not going to beat Canon and Nikon by trying to be Canon or Nikon. Likewise, Pentax won't out-Sony Sony or out-Panasonic Panasonic. I for one am glad to see them take risks, otherwise this would be a dull forum for sure.

And look at that, not a single car reference! Toot Toot!
02-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lpfonseca Quote
1) optional viewfinder (I guess someone already noticed it ) - please Pentax/Ricoh make a viewfinder that connects to HDMI port, can't be that hard.
No it can't be hard but it will add cost and so renders the camera quite useless, for the extra cost you add by such a viewfinder you can just as well buy an K5.

Besides who know how the new DSLR are going to look like.
If the Kr replacement has the same hardware as the K-01 (which i think it has) and also has a viewfinder it solves your problem at once.

The K-01 is really meant as a step below what Pentax has now and as an intersting alternative or cheap backup camera, for those that want a viewfinder just wait a bit.