Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Opinions of the K-01 from outside the bubble

We all get caught up in PentaxForums and the photography world. Outside of this bubble, what are people saying about the K-01? Post what you find!

02-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Somebody hates it

Why the Pentax K-01 Was a Bad Idea - Photographic Articles - Camera-Enthusiast.com Blog

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-04-2012, 11:06 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ShelbyShelly - Style Social Media Player
MARC NEWSON X PENTAX
"The K-01 is the perfect choice for anyone looking for their first easy-to-operate digital interchangeable lens camera or those photographers who demand a camera with originality and style."

StupidDope
PENTAX K-01 – Digital Hybrid Camera by Marc Newson
PENTAX K-01 – Digital Hybrid Camera by Marc Newson | stupidDOPE.com
"These new features are jammed into a case of contemporary design by Marc Newson in black with black grip, silver with black grip, and a standout black with yellow grip color combinations. "

Expert Reviews
Pentax K-01 - hands on preview (review) | Expert Reviews
"Talking to the assembled crowd of journalists from both technology and design-oriented publications at the launch event, there seemed to be a consensus that it was an attractive camera. We're not entirely convinced by its somewhat toy-like appearance, especially in the yellow finish, but each to their own. The straightforward-looking controls were a hit with some of the non-technical journalists, who said they considered most SLRs' controls to be intimidatingly complex."

AlexLoves.com
Pentax K-01 by Marc Newson | Alex Loves
"At the presentation this morning, Newson mentioned he was essentially a purist at heart, and his design for the K-10 definitely reflects that: it’s timeless, minimalist and has clean, simple lines. There’s a bit of a retro vibe going on as well, especially with the yellow one version which I love, although perhaps more as a novelty than a long-term investment. I’m not a tech blogger, so I’ll spare you the technical details (although it does a hell of a lot of cool stuff, and also boasts the world’s thinnest interchangeable lens), but needless to say, it’s a pretty cool piece of equipment.

Cameras are probably one of the few things I own where I care more about its functions than looks, but if they’re starting to make them look this good… well, why not?"

Some of these are little more that regurgitations of press kits in order to keep the site's post count up. But outside the bubble, there is some admiration for the design and its simplicity. There's also very little damning of the lack of an EVF.
02-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
2modernblog
New PENTAX K-01 designed by Marc Newson | 2Modern Blog
"Anyone who’s a fan of photography probably thinks any good camera is sexy in its own way, but when you combine famous, brilliant modern designer Marc Newson with a camera, do you know what you get? This one sexy-as-hell camera, the PENTAX K-01 (don’t embarrass yourself, it’s pronounced: “kay- zero-one”). I’m usually a Canon girl myself, but I might have to consider switching over for this hot shooting beast."

Cool Hunting
Pentax K-01
"Designed by Marc Newson, the K-01 from Pentax is the most photogenic camera I've seen in awhile. Until now, the design-driven segment of mid to high-end cameras has been dominated by vintage-inspired units like the gorgeous Fuji X Series. Newson's signature style distinguishes the K-01 from the rest with a design that's simultaneously modern, classic and timeless."

02-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the links.
02-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
Banned

Miserere is a still only shooter I bet and if he shot video like I do he would sing a different tune. The K-01 will be the best camera for shooting video with K-mount lenses . The NEX needs a $400 adapter to use Sony A mount lenses and none have SR !

Last edited by jogiba; 02-05-2012 at 08:29 AM.
02-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #7

Josh Root at Photo.net:
Pentax K-01 Preview - photo.net

"In the hands, the K-01 feels very solid. Don’t let photos showing the bright yellow body fool you, this is no toy. In fact, I would venture to say that due to it’s design and construction, the K-01 feels more solid and high end than a number of other mirrorless bodies I can think of."

"The best thing that Pentax did in my book was to design a mirrorless system around the K mount. Yes, perhaps Pentax would have had some more freedom as far as body shape and design if they had gone with a new lens system as other companies have with their mirrorless systems. But what, exactly, would that have gotten them? Just another clone of the products that were already out there. "

"Overall, I think the K-01 concept was a good move. One of the things I have loved about Pentax in recent years is that they don’t waste time trying to be what other companies already are. They aren’t going to out-Canon Canon itself, and they know that. So rather than trying to play catchup, they have tried to move in some different directions. It would have been understandable if Pentax had simply come out with the big-brother of the Q for their flagship mirrorless body, a new camera with a new line of lenses. But the fact that they choose not to, that they decided to make something again slightly different, speaks highly of those who are running the show at Pentax."

02-05-2012, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

My summary:

Style fans -- love it!

Gadget fans -- hate it!

Videographers -- Intrigued.

Photographers -- Mixed, but no VF = :....(

02-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I don't think much of Mr. bad ideas analysis. He is hysterical because it is K mount compatible. to me this a 'feature' and probably the only
design feature they could have included that would lead me to consider buying it. If you compare it so say the Pentax P series you can be thankful that Pentax had a designer work on the design some.
02-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
My summary:

Style fans -- love it!

Gadget fans -- hate it!

Videographers -- Intrigued.

Photographers -- Mixed, but no VF = :....(

Will an admin please lock this thread, nothing else needs to be said!
02-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

"I like it. It looks cute and simple to use. It doesn't have all the buttons like your camera does. I like the black and white one."

There you go. That quote was from my wife, who is a non-camera-centric, non-gearhead, aka the general public. Probably the type of opinion that's most important to Pentax.
02-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
"I like it. It looks cute and simple to use. It doesn't have all the buttons like your camera does. I like the black and white one."

There you go. That quote was from my wife, who is a non-camera-centric, non-gearhead, aka the general public. Probably the type of opinion that's most important to Pentax.
As I have said, my wife had a similar reaction. Today she asked "Does that Yellowjacket camera use your lenses too?" Oh no.......
02-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
nah

The wife hates the yellow one, we're going to be getting the black and white one.
02-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
Pentaxian

John, Thanks for starting this thread.
Nice to know what the public perception is.

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote

4 laymen colleauges like the camera vs one nikon user who said it was ugly.
So perhaps Pentax does have something here.
02-05-2012, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

"K-01: Designed by a non-photographer, for the non-photographer"

and I mean that in the nicest possible way..... camera nerds are a tiny slice of the population