Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
As I have said, my wife had a similar reaction. Today she asked "Does that Yellowjacket camera use your lenses too?" Oh no.......
My wife thinks this is a great idea to get "us" a camera she can use that also uses my lenses. She also thihnks her A40 is a great camera (it actually is a pretty good camera with a great deal of manual control). She likes the yellow.

I'm not sure just how I feel about that, but I I'm selling some rarely-used stuff and I pre-ordered it.

02-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Other people's response to the K-01

The Photography majors in my school don't like it.

The Industrial Design majors are very, very interested. As well as the Painting majors.

The Advertising major in me cannot understand how this happened!
02-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My wife thinks this is a great idea to get "us" a camera she can use that also uses my lenses. She also thihnks her A40 is a great camera (it actually is a pretty good camera with a great deal of manual control). She likes the yellow.

I'm not sure just how I feel about that, but I I'm selling some rarely-used stuff and I pre-ordered it.
Yellowjacket. Hmm nice nickname there! I like the sound of that. Wonder how the other two will be soon called...
02-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Yellowjacket. Hmm nice nickname there! I like the sound of that. Wonder how the other two will be soon called...
Silverback for the black with aluminium top bits, I reckon.

And the camera design itself is obviously the Stovepipe.

02-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Silverback for the black with aluminium top bits, I reckon.

And the camera design itself is obviously the Stovepipe.
Perfect!!!!
02-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
How long until there are more colors? To me, that will really begin to drive interest in the general public. All these "reviews" need to be taken with a hunk of salt until there are reviews with production units and consist of measured and real world testing....
02-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #22
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting reviews, I still don't see how retro looks have got into the K-01 description. It would be great if it gets the tag because if the "prism bumb"

02-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #23
Banned

The Photography majors in my school don't like it.

The Industrial Design majors are very, very interested. As well as the Painting majors.

The Advertising major in me cannot understand how this happened!
Photography majors are clueless about video. It's now 2012 and video is no longer a fad.
02-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some video people discussing the K-01. x posted, but worth putting here too...

"Interesting things will be if it has: 4:2:2 HDMI out, bit rate support. Gladly it has full manual movie mode, with 30/25/24 fps."

"It's so crazy that I actually like it. Give me the yellow or white one :-).Too bad the connections (hdmi, mic, SD) are all on the side of the handgrip under a large rubber flap. I hate rubber flaps. The design is a conversation starter, for sure. But it has no viewfinder and no rotating screen. That sensor is the same as K5 so very good. And Pentax has large lens selection. And that pancake lens is nice."

"I think it is cool.

And looking at the specs it support all lenses. So, it'll AF with screwdrive lenses. Without any adapter. Right now Pentax continue famous compatibility."

"Other good thing is $749 MSRP (or 40mm kit $899, so pancake will be really cheap)

Most probably will be good compliment to my Pentax cameras, as I have bunch of Pentax glass."

"I really hope the video is good, without moire. I would buy this thing in a heartbeat if so, because this sensor is awesome for photography. I can have a really good all in one with image stabilizer. Makes a good complement to my GH2. I'm looking forward to the Olympus weather sealed OM-D, but that's way more expensive."

"I remember there were some efforts going towards hacking the Pentax K-5. The K-01 has the same APS-C size sensor as the K-5 (with 24p and a better processing engine).

The Pentax K-01 may make an interesting candidate for a hack now that the GH2 hack is well under way and a great success, yes?

Edit: oh-- the above post wasn't up when I replied. Very exciting to hear that we might have a K-01 hack!

Thanks, Vitaly. "

"Interesting little camera.. If video mode is good, Id consider getting it in a heartbeat. I quite like the quirky design."

"That yellow one is starting to grow on me. Either you love or hate the design, personally i don't care. This are the points i like about it.

Cheap starting MSRP
able to adapt K-mount lenses without a need for adapters
Body Shake reduction
K-5 sensor, i think this is one of the better APS-C sensors out there
HDMI out and mic input with audio levels control
Timelapse recording
I just hope it has fully manual controls for video recording No tilting LCD though thats a bummer, maybe thats what the HDMI out is for."

"You can install any K mount or M42 glass. Also many old Nikon F glass (if you turn it backwards and know not to hurt camera) :-) For me it is enough."

"Certainly the components and features they put in this camera are pro stuff."

"I ****ing love the prospects of this camera...this is what nikon should of done,allow support of its current dslr lenses. Yeah its a ugly duck but whats inside that counts. if it does better video than nex 5n im sold!"

"I like the ugly look of this guy. I am so tiered of the we are in the future/apple look to products. This is a refreshingly ugly camera.

I have high hopes for this guy, k5 sensor and built in image stabilization are cool features. Also you can mount nikon glass on pentax cameras!"

"This might work great on a fully equipped rig with ext monitor, ext mic, follow focus, etc.

How many tripod mount holes it has? Two?"

"I am in love.

can't wait for the video mode tech spec, codec, 10-bit, hdmi uncompressed,422... VK hack,.... oh sweet dreams

canon is really out of the game, sure they are preparing some fancy announcement for their mirrorless, just prepare 10K$ and canon will find the way to take it"

"Looking at the boxy design, there's nothing blocking around the mount. No problem in using a follow focus either side. The thick base & sturdy body would give more lens support. Plus live HDMI, ext mic-in, audio level, full manual control, and 24/25/30/50/60p. K-5 sensor has 13 steps dynamic range for JPEG. Add a bunch of Samyang 14/24/35/85mm K-mount where 14mm is around 22mm in 35mm format. No adapter required. Body only $749.

Waiting for hands-on reviews and samples..."

"What could be really interesting for video (if scaling is done right), is if the hdmi port gives a clean signal. If so (enabling external recording), it does make for a really interesting video module."

"Who says mirrorless can't have longer ffd? Pentax removed the mirror and kept the k mount. Thus big lenses and good sensors. Sounds reasonable. Prolly good corner sharpness. But where are CDAF lenses? What about AFC? What about AF speed? Even if AF sucks, MF video might be great on this system... if Pentax is serious about video features."

SOURCE
Pentax K-01 Digital Mirrorless - Personal View Talks
02-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

I have a few lenses that she could use. If she decides she want's one then we'll just have to decide which lenses are mine and which our "ours".
02-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Yellowjacket - Stormtrooper - Silverback

Y&B - Wh & B - Black with Silver
02-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
CEO - Well, I've just about had it with you suits. You are all out of touch with what the market needs. We need some fresh inspired thinking! Someone who can think digital. Where's that intern we hired from that Hippie School of Design?

*intern is led into the board room bewildered and weary*

CEO - Turn around and show me the label on your jeans.

*examines label*

CEO - "Seven for all mankind", never heard of it. You'll do. What do you think you designer jeans wearing types would want in a camera?

Intern - Ummmm... uh... dunno.

CEO - For god's sake man, think! Apply yourself!

Intern - Well... it'd be cool if Lady Gaga designed it. I'd buy it. No wait! Marc Newson. He's a cool chap, you should totally get him to design a camera.
Pentax K-01 Joins the Mirrorless System Camera Fray - Page 2
02-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #28
Veteran Member

That cracked me up pretty hard
02-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #29
Banned

gizmag

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Ricoh and acclaimed designer Marc Newson have joined forces to create a new 16 megapixel mirrorless camera and a new pancake lens that's claimed to be the world's thinnest interchangeable lens. The Pentax K-01 interchangeable lens camera (pronounced "kay zero one") is also said to be compatible with over 25 million previously-produced Pentax K-mount lenses.

With body-only dimensions of 4.8 x 3.1 x 2.3 inches (121.9 x 78.7 x 58.4 mm), Pentax Ricoh's new, Newson-designed Pentax K-01 is a little on the chunky side, being a good inch (25.4 mm) thicker than Nikon's J1 and gaining over half an inch (15.6 mm) on Sony's NEX 7. In case you're wondering about the company name, Pentax Imaging officially became Pentax Ricoh when Ricoh acquired the HOYA brand in October last year.

The new K-01 has dispensed with the optical viewfinder in favor of just a 3-inch, 921,000 dot LCD display with a 170 degree viewing angle. Inside its machined aluminum frame - with rubberized accents and the designer's autograph logo stamp near the battery door on the bottom - is a 16 megapixel APS-C sized (23.7 x 15.7mm) CMOS sensor that's capable of full 1080p HD video capture at 30 frames per second, and 60 frames per second at 720p resolution. There's a built-in flash for those occasions when the ISO100 - 25600 sensitivity is not enough, in addition to a hot-shoe mount that's compatible with Pentax digital flash units.

The camera benefits from JPG (8-bits per channel color depth) and RAW (12-bits per channel color depth) image format support, sensor-shift image stabilization, and is capable of six frames per second burst shooting. There's a P/A/S/M settings and exposure dial (although the K-01's dial is labeled P/Av/Tv/M, where Av is aperture priority and Tv is shutter priority) on the top which can be used to activate the in-camera HDR feature, access numerous scene modes or turn the flash off.

Its Li-ion battery promises 540 images between charges, there's SD, SDHC, SDXC media card support and USB 2.0 and HDMI ports.

The Pentax K-01 will be available from March 2012 in black, white or yellow for a body only price of US$749.95, or $899.95 with that svelte new 0.36 inch (9.2 mm) thin, unifocal smc Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS lens. The lens will also be available separately for $249.95.
Pentax Ricoh and Marc Newson create new K-01 camera with world's thinnest interchangeable lens
02-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Come on now, this is from totally inside the bubble and goes against the intent of this thread. Aren't there enough threads pointing the photographers opinions about the camera?