Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is that flipping thing during shutter press?

I posted this in another thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/173779-i-think-pentax-h...ml#post1805092 but did not get an answer. Maybe it's something simple that I do not know about. If so, please educate me.

What is that flipping thing while the shutter is pressed? I know it's a mirror-less camera so what is that? You can see this in the at 1:31 and 7:00 marks on this first hands on video below.

Thank you, guys.

02-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The shutter.

Shutter (photography) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
02-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
The shutter.
Lol, yup. They still need to be mechanical to function properly for such large sensors. Wonder if sensor technology will ever get good enough that we can do away with the shutter...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
Kai

Original Poster
Thank you for a quick reply. Would you think that this will still create some vibration the same way that the mirror does?

02-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kai Quote
Thank you for a quick reply. Would you think that this will still create some vibration the same way that the mirror does?
I personally can't say either way although I think the technical talk on the forum a while back with the K-7 was related to the shutter rather than the mirror. Plus, most decent cameras have some form of mirror-lockup to take that out of the equation when needed.

Some cameras like the Pentax Q has the ability to use and electronic shutter instead of a physical one.
02-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Interesting. This may explain the 6fps burst limitation. I had expected (much) faster burst rates with the mirrorless product. Amongst all of the design/viewfinder rantings, I was surprised that this spec didn't get more discussion. But if it still relies on a mechanical shutter, mystery solved. Adam, can you provide any technical explanation for why the electronic shutter is not possible for this sensor?
02-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
Kai

Original Poster
I think that the manual shows no lock-up function as well as stating that it's a manual shutter. Does that imply there would be some vibration anyway or we need to have some hands-on review? Thanks guys.

02-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kai Quote
I think that the manual shows no lock-up function as well as stating that it's a manual shutter. Does that imply there would be some vibration anyway or we need to have some hands-on review? Thanks guys.
Pentax always locks up the mirror in their DSLRs with their 2-second timer. The K-01 doesn't have a mirror, so that isn't an issue.

The shutter can't possibly be locked up unless the camera is in video mode. It just wouldn't work with a physical shutter camera. The shutter(s) will be moving as the photons are being recorded, but I'd assume they design the cameras to avoid or lessen any issues from the mechanical motion.
02-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think falconeye described the action of the K-01 shutter here:

QuoteQuote:
The K-01 has a new 1/4000s shutter which the PR says is quieter. Moreover, it is open by default (like on a NEX) so activating LV doesn't have to activate the shutter every time you want to compose an image (w/o taking one). This would tear down the shutter quickly. So, shutter open by default, which is good for the shutter and the shooter, but bad for dirt during a lens change.

The time you push the trigger, the first curtain closes, the exposure begins, the first curtain opens, the second curtain closes, exposure stops, and second curtain rewinds to the default open position. In a normal shutter, both curtains would have to rewind after an exposure taken.
02-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
Kai

Original Poster
I appreciate your findings. Let's see how well it holds up in real life use, then.
02-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think falconeye described the action of the K-01 shutter here:
That is interesting. I just wish camera companies would get out of that 1/4000th maximum they seem to be fond of for mirrorless cameras. 1/8000th in semi-pro and pro cameras is there for a reason.
02-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

That was useful information
But I have got one question; does the Fuji x100 have an electronic shutter then?
(my brother got one and it's completely silent.)
02-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larsenio Quote
That was useful information
But I have got one question; does the Fuji x100 have an electronic shutter then?
(my brother got one and it's completely silent.)
It has a leaf shutter, but still mechanical.
02-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
This may explain the 6fps burst limitation.
The limitation could also come from the camera electronics.

The Sony A77 does 12 fps, so doing away with the mirror can certainly help to increase fps if one uses a shutter and electronics which are up to the job.

Regarding vibrations: Eliminating mirror vibrations is good, but for instance on the K-7, the shutter was responsible to cause image blur in a certain shutter speed range. Falk (falconeye) wrote an extensive report about the issue and the problem was reduced (not entirely eliminated in the K-5).

P.S.: Supporting 1/8000 calls for more expensive shutters. The shutter has to maintain a slit width of less than a human hair while moving with a non-uniform speed.