Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 05:19 AM   #16
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Ok, ok I have only DA limiteds.
But no viewfinder, no cable release. I think it is difficult to use K01 both in hands and on a tripod.
Not a happy design.
:ugh: Tastes differ...

02-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I like it. It's different. Did we all want another Canon?
And who needs a viewfinder? Obsolete technology.
Face the future and embrace it.
02-06-2012, 05:39 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
I like it. It's different. Did we all want another Canon?
And who needs a viewfinder? Obsolete technology.
I like the design too. But viewfinder is a must. Using lcd on K-5 outside is not the best experience. Using lcd while holding 500gr of camera and,say, DA 300 is not going to be fun either.
The big mistake is not leaving any option for external EVF,at least this is how i see it.
02-06-2012, 05:50 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Face the future and embrace it.
I embrace the possibility that future versions may have the features I require.

02-06-2012, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

My wife is a relatively newcomer to photography. 2 years ago, I bought her a refurbished Fuji 6500fd prosumer to start her off. That camera has a live view screen and an EVF (albeit a lower resolution than today's offering). From the start, she prefers to use live view to compose her picture. I kept telling her that she should compose using the EVF but she hated it. I thought it is the low resolution EVF that put her off but she said that's not it.

Then when i upgrade to the K-7, I handed her my k100D and then she has no choice but to compose using the OVF. I can tell she does not like the camera very much.

So later i have some cash and i bought her the K-x. She loves it, esp considering that is has a workable live view screen. She still uses live view to compose her picture and rarely uses the OVF. Does she take worse pictures than me? I think not. Friends kept saying she has better photographic eye than me.

I guess what i am trying to say is that, as enthusiast photographer, we may prefer a certain way to take our picture, either we were brought up in that fashion, or we are led to do it in that way. It is not wrong but it is not necessarily the right way and the only way.

I would have preferred the K-01 comes with an OVF because that's how i would like to use it but it does not. I take a lesson from my wife in learning that, a picture taken from a camera is a picture how you want to see it. Whether you are viewing it thru an OVF/EVF or a live view screen has little influence how good your photo is. Of course I understand the limitation of live view when it comes to using at night but for 95% of the time, live view is just fine.

So will we be buying the k-01 even though it has no OVF/EVF? You bet
02-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Young people today is more used to use the screen... it's that way on compact cameras and smartphones. I've handed over my K-5 many times and gotten the question: "-The screen is black, how do I turn it on?". If the screen is fast and good I might get used to it but personally I prefer to have both choices.

Regarding colors I would like Pentax to use only black, silver and white and have them combined in different options. The thing I would miss the most when comparing to K-5 is the Weather sealing.
02-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Ok, ok I have only DA limiteds.
But no viewfinder, no cable release. I think it is difficult to use K01 both in hands and on a tripod.
Not a happy design.
Cable Release?
Its been IR for quite a while already for the Pentax DSLRs.

02-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Cable Release?
Its been IR for quite a while already for the Pentax DSLRs.
Long, long time in Bulb mode with IR remote?
02-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #24
Col
Veteran Member

Ah but for a few years now (since K-7) have the option for the IR remote to be one push open second push close in bulb mode... you don't have to hold it down throughout an exposure.
02-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Doh!
You can set it up in the menu for IR 1st press to open the shutter and 2nd press to close it.

You really think we'd all suffer in silence if IR had to be kept depressed for long exposures
Hope this solves you problem
02-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #26
Col
Veteran Member

Hey Pinholecam, hope R'high paying you for your K-01 on it's edges shots...

I do remember having a very sore thumb with my K10D, though.
02-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm with you ogl it's growing on me. In fact I already pointed it out to my wife as a potential birthday present come July (hopefully the price settles down to street pricing by then)
In yellow of course

I have 3 DSLR from Pentax if I need a VF I have one
this however is smaller than my ds and outperforms my K7
and sells for less than any of my cameras did when they came out
Side benefit is it should be simple to use so i can give it to my wife to carry without a training course
02-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
isn't it cool?
Excellent, the silver matches on K-01 body and FA ltd lens.

Although it is sadly redundant, the 'unnecessary' prism hump does look good from the front and I welcome the use of the old Pentax logo.

K-01... interesting camera, big publicity splash for Pentax. K-02... looking forward to Pentax's refinement of the design.
02-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Ah but for a few years now (since K-7) have the option for the IR remote to be one push open second push close in bulb mode... you don't have to hold it down throughout an exposure.
And you get wireless P-TTL, the ability to use RF remote systems, ....