Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My opinion about K-01 design

K-01 is very well-thought-out and fine camera. It has his face.
And it has many faces.
The camera with different lenses has a different look.

Does anyone understand and see it?

And we can use it without tripod. with remote cable.

My first reaction was MIXED EMOTIONS...But now...I like K-01 design

02-05-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For some unknown reason, none of the Pentax cameras seem to match the silver Limited in colour. They are close, but not really identical. Personally, I am attracted to none of the 3 colour schemes. Maybe a full black K-01 will look nicer.
02-05-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Totally agree, abit of over-reaction on design. I really like the white one, I don't have any silver lenses.
Wonder what it would look like with the coloured DA 35 and Kx kit lenses.
That flat profile on the sides is cool making the thickness a benefit, try and do THAT with a NEX !
02-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's Supposed To Be Different!

Well, first off, we've got to change our expectations. It doesn't look like an SLR because it's NOT an SLR. No "Reflex" no viewfinder, in the usual sense. No Pentaprism. Oddly enough, isn't that how 'Pentax" got it's name?
But Pentax has a long history of making different format cameras, other than 35mm SLRs. Medium format, 110, Point + Shoot in both 35mm and digital.
The 01 looks like what it is; A digital mirrorless camera. Some compromises were made to retro-fit the venerable K mount, for which we all should be grateful.
Aside from that, it is minimal, befitting an entry-level camera, clearly designed to attract the P + S crowd, those who grew up using an LCD screen the way we (most of us, anyway) use a viewfinder.
I forsee a 20 mp all-black upgrade for the 01, perhaps with battery grip option, expanded ISO range, more bracketing and true PTTL (please, please?).
And it likely still won't look like anything but what it is.
Which is OK for me, but others will still disagree.
I have no love for the "Colors" in DSLR bodies, but obviously someone at Pentax does. It does make them stand out, which appeals to certain folks, myself not included. A red or green or purple DSLR just isn't my idea of fine camera design.
Given that Pentax has chosen this road, it only makes sense that the initial offerings of the 01 includes a bright yellow body. Fine, for those who want it, as long as they also offer silver + black or all-black.
I may not find the 01 beautiful, but it certainly is functional. Should we ask for more?
JMO,
Ron

02-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We're all so serious about our cameras and our photographs. There is supposed to be an element of FUN designed into this camera. In some way it pokes fun AT us, as well. (Tripod? I don't need no stinking tripod).

Same could be said about the viewfinder. (Pentax. It isn't your father's camera any more).

Maybe that makes us a bit uncomfortable. I like it.
02-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Well, first off, we've got to change our expectations. It doesn't look like an SLR because it's NOT an SLR. No "Reflex" no viewfinder, in the usual sense. No Pentaprism. Oddly enough, isn't that how 'Pentax" got it's name?
But Pentax has a long history of making different format cameras, other than 35mm SLRs. Medium format, 110, Point + Shoot in both 35mm and digital.
The 01 looks like what it is; A digital mirrorless camera. Some compromises were made to retro-fit the venerable K mount, for which we all should be grateful.
Aside from that, it is minimal, befitting an entry-level camera, clearly designed to attract the P + S crowd, those who grew up using an LCD screen the way we (most of us, anyway) use a viewfinder.
I forsee a 20 mp all-black upgrade for the 01, perhaps with battery grip option, expanded ISO range, more bracketing and true PTTL (please, please?).
And it likely still won't look like anything but what it is.
Which is OK for me, but others will still disagree.
I have no love for the "Colors" in DSLR bodies, but obviously someone at Pentax does. It does make them stand out, which appeals to certain folks, myself not included. A red or green or purple DSLR just isn't my idea of fine camera design.
Given that Pentax has chosen this road, it only makes sense that the initial offerings of the 01 includes a bright yellow body. Fine, for those who want it, as long as they also offer silver + black or all-black.
I may not find the 01 beautiful, but it certainly is functional. Should we ask for more?
JMO,
Ron
Here here!

Note the name. K-01. One. First. Beginning. The K-01 is a new beginning.
02-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
Forum Member

Visually, the only thing I don't like is that the front around the lens mount is pear-shaped. If it had a viewfinder, I'd be very tempted to replace my K-r with it. (One body is my limit.)

02-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #8

I don't like how they made the rubber door for battery, card etc. I guess in time, after hot summer, cold winter that will not fit that good as when it was new.
02-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

And we can use it without tripod. with remote cable.
I like the design too, but unfortunately I don't think there's a cable release port
02-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

A camera with Marc's signature. What wonderful thing!!! Pentaxians dream is here. Marc, the shoe boxes designer ... he is with us.

Uninspired choice of the designer.
No viewfinder: A very big disadvantage.

I will wait for the next Pentax mirroless.
02-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #11
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I like the design too, but unfortunately I don't think there's a cable release port
Remote control - no problem
02-06-2012, 01:20 AM   #12
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
A camera with Marc's signature. What wonderful thing!!! Pentaxians dream is here. Marc, the shoe boxes designer ... he is with us.

Uninspired choice of the designer.
No viewfinder: A very big disadvantage.

I will wait for the next Pentax mirroless.
It seems to me - you're wrong with thread.
02-06-2012, 03:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It seems to me - you're wrong with thread.
I apologize. I really wanted a Pentax mirrorless for my Limited lenses, but I am disappointed with K01. I should wait another year, probably.
02-06-2012, 03:58 AM   #14
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
I apologize. I really wanted a Pentax mirrorless for my Limited lenses, but I am disappointed with K01. I should wait another year, probably.

isn't it cool?
02-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Ok, ok I have only DA limiteds.
But no viewfinder, no cable release. I think it is difficult to use K01 both in hands and on a tripod.
Not a happy design.

Last edited by edri; 02-06-2012 at 04:16 AM.