Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How do you anticipate the Pentax K-01's AF will perform?
Equal to the K-5's c/d system with more focus points. 619.35%
Marginally improved from the K-5's c/d system. 1754.84%
Industry leading c/d system rivalling the K-5's p/d system. 825.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-01 AF Performance Poll

If I was King of the World at Pentax I would have waited until contrast-detection AF technology was comparable to phase-detection in terms of speed. Based on your confidence in Pentax, how do you think the K-01 will perform in this area?

02-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Industry-leading would mean better than the Olympus E-P3, and I don't think that's the case. OTOH, I think more than a marginal improvement over the K-5s CDAF is possible, esp. since it misfocuses sometimes. So somewhere in between. Anyway AF performance with the 40mm lens can be observed in this preview:
02-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Keep the votes coming!
02-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Its about GF1 level based on the early prototype firmware. So it may get better (just like AF for the Q after firmware update)
The GF1 CDAF is no slouch (only the Oly EP1 to EP2 was very slow)
So around K5 CDAF or a bit better. (no quirky zoom in AF like the K5 of course)
Don't forget that we are getting this sort of AF speed on legacy screw drive lenses.
No other brand has even come close to this sort of AF speed for CDAF for their legacy lenses.

02-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've tried the K-01 prototype, and I know what it is capable of (in AF speed)...
02-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
MSM
Veteran Member

@Frank : I have been using the Kx which as you know can have a global AF microadjustment. Despite that, it is not perfect as some lens require differing adjustments. This has made me consider making a change. I don't want to move to a bigger camera (K5) with the additional expense or change to a different maker. I started however looking at some of the Mirrorless cameras recently. I don't know if the K-01 is the camera for me yet. But, do you know if the Back/Front focus problems that can plague the dSLR's affect the Mirrorless like the K-01 specifically? I know even with my Kx that moving into Tungsten light will make my AF wacky at times. I would love to get a camera to use my current lenses and not have to change makers but I have had quite a few misses due to the Kx and the K 10 before. (Of course, I will take some of the blame too.)

If the AF is more accurate (and for me I don't even need it to be faster) then despite my initial shock of the design I might just be persuaded especially at that price and with the K5 sensor. For example, I just bought a Fuji X10 which I absolutely love and the AF speed is fast enough for me. I know that I can't directly compare due to the smaller sensor and inherent increase in DOF, but at F2 on the Fuji I can nail the focus in any light. I take a lot of shots of the kids and I just want the irises to be tack sharp. I can't get that with my Pentax Kx.
02-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I am not the expert but on my K-7 and K-x, I always find that the focusing on liveview is a little more accurate than using the OVF. I would believe that live view removes all common issues with lens back/front focusing and certainly expect the K-01 to be even better than the K series DSLRs.